new mothering article on extreme solutions for morning sickness - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 05-08-2004, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought the article was great. If I had had terrible morning sickness I would feel much safer smoking a small amount of marijuana (thats been used for thousands of years) than to take a new morning sickness drug. I had very mild morning sickness and my doctor said I should try a *new* drug thats just come out for morning sickness. Not in a million years! Ive seen and read enough about thalidomide and others to be wary.
#32 of 40 Old 05-09-2004, 01:24 AM

THC is available in a pill form. I *know* I gave (maybe a synthetic version) the pill form of THC when I was still working in the hospital. I think I only saw it prescribed twice, both times to cancer patients.

Lori
#33 of 40 Old 05-09-2004, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~OceanPotion~
I thought the article was great. If I had had terrible morning sickness I would feel much safer smoking a small amount of marijuana (thats been used for thousands of years) than to take a new morning sickness drug. I had very mild morning sickness and my doctor said I should try a *new* drug thats just come out for morning sickness. Not in a million years! Ive seen and read enough about thalidomide and others to be wary.

T and out of curiosity, do you know the name of this 'new' drug?

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#34 of 40 Old 05-09-2004, 02:48 PM

The information may have changed since I was on the floor (I don't work in the hospital anymore), but here is what was in my drug bookthat I used back then:

Dronabinol AKA delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, THC, Marinol
classificantion: antiemetic (cannabinoid)
schedule II
Preg classification: C (same as most abx, etc)

Indicated for prevention of serious nausea and vomiting when other conventional agents have failed; management of wasting syndrome/anorexia, which may
accompanied by HIV infection

Action: active ingredient in marijuana; has a wide variety of CNS effect, including inhibition of the vomiting control mechanism in the medulla oblongata.

Therapeutic effect: suppression of nausea and vomiting; increase appetite

Pharmacokinetices: extensively metabolized following absorption, resulting in poor bioavailability (10-20%); enters breastmilk in high concentrations. highly lipid soluble. persists in tissues for a prolonged period of time; 50% is excreted via biliary elimination. At least one metabolite is psychoactive; half life is 25-36 hours.

Contraindicated in hypersensitivity to marijuana or sesame oil; nausea and vomiting of unkown origin; lactation

There you have it, in a nutshell.

Lori

eta: This is from "Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses" sixth edition, copyright 1999.
#35 of 40 Old 05-09-2004, 04:38 PM

Lori,

Thanks for the info! If you posted it just in response to my question, thanks, but I was referring to the 'new' drug that Ocean Potion siad her Doc tried to get her to try.

I still appreciate the info. If I'm mistaken, and that's not why you posted it, don't mind me and carry on .

#36 of 40 Old 05-09-2004, 05:01 PM

Ooops.....

I thought it was in response to the pill form of mary jane being "new".

Sometimes I don't read closely enough, huh.

But, there you have it! I guess you could always ask for the THC pill by name then!

LOL!

Lori
#37 of 40 Old 05-09-2004, 10:48 PM

Lori, always good to be informed :LOL

#38 of 40 Old 05-10-2004, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead
T and out of curiosity, do you know the name of this 'new' drug?
Not off hand but I'll add it to my list of questions to ask my doctor when I see her next.
#39 of 40 Old 05-11-2004, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

They gave me ZOFRAN (generic: ondansetron) 4mg. It was a pill or there was also a tablet that could dissolve on the tongue. It is a med that is used for nausea in cancer patients too.
#40 of 40 Old 05-26-2004, 04:08 PM

i thought it was a very courageous article to print and i'm proud of mothering for doing so. it'll be interesting to read the responses in future magazines though! i didn't touch pot during pregnancy because i just didn't know whether or not it was safe. compared to the list of synthetic drugs it definitely seems to be a safer option as a medicine. i am glad that the second article in mothering went into depth about studies because it's hard to find information. i would like to have information about the affects (or non affects) of pot when the mother is nursing. does anyone have any information on this?
also, i like the question someone posed about how the mother who wrote the article went about daily life while smoking pot. it might not have an affect on the fetus, but i've heard how pot can sometimes affect the "mothering" instinct. in other words, make you more impatient or less alert to your child's needs and so on. how did she deal with so many kids while high? did she drive? how did she feel out in the world, doing her shopping, etc.? i'm just curious. i'd love to hear more about it. but i fully support it.

joy.gifjoy.giftwo great kids angel.gif x 6.  partners.gif happily married.cat.gifcat.gif

treehugger.gifnamaste.giftoddler.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifdiaper.gifvbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page