new mothering article on extreme solutions for morning sickness - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 05-03-2004, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to ask,
What do you all think about the article about SEVERE nausea/vomiting during pregnancy & medical marijuana?? Did you read it? Do you agree? Any links?

-Melissa
#2 of 40 Old 05-03-2004, 09:02 AM

I had hypermesis and while not as severe as the person in the article, I disagree with her choices. I also hate that something like this was published in Mothering. There is a whole thread about this in TAO.
#3 of 40 Old 05-03-2004, 11:30 AM

I agreed with the second article. The first article was not up to Mothering's normal standards, I must say, and probably did more harm than good.
#4 of 40 Old 05-03-2004, 12:14 PM

I also had hypermesis, though not as severe. I wouldn't have ever dremed of smoking anything during pregnancy, but I also wouldn't take the Zantac my midwife told me would be fine, just paranoid, I guess!

I didn't lose weight by the end of the pg, like this woman (I think she lost somehting like 30 lbs). I totally understand her actions, obviously her subsequent pregnancies (where she had smoked marijauna) were much safer to both her and the babies. Though, I don't think I would ever take that step (although who is to say when you haven't been there) I commend the mother for coming foreward. I think she is corageous for sharing her story. It seems her kids were actually healthier because she smoked pot, and sometimes a mother just has to do whatever she can to ensure that the best outcome possible arises. If a regular pregnant woman smoked weed, it would be detrimental no doubt about it, but in this woman's case I think it was the right thing to do. I also respect Mothering for running the article knowing it would be met with severe critisism.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#5 of 40 Old 05-03-2004, 06:38 PM

I love the article in Mothering. Its about time someone had the courage to step forward and state the obvious. In our FDA approved world we have shunned what our ancestors have known for thousands of years. Natural herbs work..... we may not know how or why...but they do.
http://www.olywa.net/when/indications11.html

Have you ever watched the evening news? Every other commercial is a drug advertisement. Do you ever listen to the side effects mentioned? Many times they seem worse than the original malady you’re trying to treat. But since the FDA gives a big thumbs up then it must be safe? Right? WRONG!!!

Marijuana has been around so long, used by so many; you could almost say it’s the most tested drug we have.

Consider how quickly some drugs have been pulled off the shelves....thalomid for example. These are drugs that were thought to be useful but in the end turned out to be devastating.
http://www.celgene.com/thalomid/

Using your brain for a moment...and by this I mean putting aside your fear and morality.... don’t you think that if Marijuana was truly dangerous we would surely know by now? How about all those baby boomers who had kids in the 60's and 70's..... Just think about it!!

Instead we have dubious reports stating dubious findings. If you look at any report that has to do with Marijuana and babies you will find that included in the scope of the study are alcohol and nicotine. This means that any results from these studies are tainted by the fact that instead of studying the effect of 1 drug your studying the effect of 3 drugs. Consider that the next time you hear of a new study. Does this seem like a sound way to conduct research and then extrapolate results? Hardly!

I urge you to consider that this is a medicine. Major pharmaceutical companies are bringing products to market that are derived from cannabinoids contained in marijuana. http://www.pharmoscorp.com/.

I understand the concern...Ideally the developing fetus would have a pristine environment to gestate in...However if you live in the modern world that is just not the case. Do you drive? What about all the diesel and exhaust fumes you inhale on your way to the Dr. Apt. Or how about the water you drink or the food you eat that is covered in pesticides. What is the effect on the fetus?

If your hang-up is legalization then write your senator and congressmen and let them know you want to see the laws changed....because after reading the posts it seems that is the biggest concern. If marijuana were legal then the arguments presented in this forum would disappear!

Three cheers to Mothering Magazine for publishing this article!
#6 of 40 Old 05-03-2004, 09:16 PM

I loved the article and love that Mothering has the ovaries to run articles like this. YES!
#7 of 40 Old 05-03-2004, 09:53 PM

Not to be nit picky, but I notice a lot of "I had hypermesis, but not that bad........"

Well, I DID have it that bad with my daughter.........and I think that it was an extreme that very few can comprehend. I had women who "had it...but not as bad as me" give me all sorts of advice about what helped THEM.....but, again, you just don't know until you DO have it that bad. Hospitalized and throwing up blood, you can sure as heck bet that if I would have had more info, I would have tried smoking. Because ABSOLUTELY nothing else worked. Ultimately I ended up on prescription drugs that gave me moderate relief and at least allowed me to start maintaining weight rather than losing it, but reallly.........how is that any better or worse than marijuana? A drug is a drug is a drug..........if you are to the point of having to take drugs for this problem, I think it benefits you to really be open about ALL your drug options.
#8 of 40 Old 05-03-2004, 10:47 PM

Hmmm, like I said, I stopped losing weight around the 2nd trimester, and actually managed to put some on after that. I went to the hospital once a day, then twice a week, then once a week for hydration IVs until I could keep water down. I was about 6 mos along when it seemed to disappear. I still threw up about once a day, but after that initial throwing up, I felt much better for the rest of the day.

I am keeping my options open after having read the article for next time. However, the thought of smoking something makes me feel physically ill even when I am not pg, so that is probably not the best solution in my case.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#9 of 40 Old 05-04-2004, 11:21 PM

loved the article and the woman who stepped up and told us about her choices. being european it's hard for me to understand american society sometimes. please, nobody take offense here, you all seem to be natural mommas. but mainstream-gerber-america is so concerned that their kids are not exposed to any drugs like alcohol or cigarettes, yet it seems so common to over-vaccinate, over-medicate kids, take them to fast food places a lot, not being concerned about chemicals like fire retardents to enter their bodies. we gotta pick our battles, marijuana does not hurt your body. zantac and mcdonalds have more side effects.
but i would have liked to see sth written in the article about how the woman ran her daily life being uti, such as hopefully she didn't drive her car...
#10 of 40 Old 05-04-2004, 11:27 PM

I absolutely loved it.

Marijuana is safer than any prescription drug on the market. I am certain of this. I also know that if I could choose between A) being so phyiscally ill that it is a direct and inherent risk to myself and my unborn child, necessitating the use of some freightening drugs and probably ending up with a cesarean; or B.) smoking pot and feeling somewhat healthy, gaining weight, and delivering a healthy baby at term......

hmmmm, B. sounds good to me.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist, people
#11 of 40 Old 05-04-2004, 11:40 PM

Hmmmmmm...sounds like an interesting article. I wish I could read it.

I had moderate to severe hyperemesis. I took my last anti-emetic the morning of ds's birth. I don't know if I could go the marijuana route, but I respect that some one had the guts to stand up and say that they did.

The only prob I have is that any smoke of any kind (burning paper, barbeque smoke etc. ) contains compounds that in great quantities can be carcinogenic, teratogenic or both. I know that marijuana smoke has fewer of these, yes, but it *is* still smoke. I just think there must be a better way...But if it *was* the only way and my health and the health of my unborn babe depended upon it, then I would be the first in line to smoke it...

I'm still onthe fence tho. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#12 of 40 Old 05-04-2004, 11:45 PM

I also wanted to add that I know what it's like to feel desperate! I can remember vividly how I felt! I would have done almost ANYTHING if it meant feeling 'normal' (not even good, just some semblance of normal or half decent) again. It's wretched! I was terrified when I had nothing but blood in my stomach to come back up, what could this be doing to my babe?...but marijuana? It's a tough call!

#13 of 40 Old 05-04-2004, 11:55 PM

Why? Why is it a tough call? I'm baffled.

Midwives and healers have "prescribed" it for thousands of years! It's probably the safest drug - on or off the market!

I just can't follow along here I feel like I'm from another planet....
#14 of 40 Old 05-05-2004, 12:02 AM

I didn't read the article, but if there is ANYTHING that will help with extreme sickness would have taken it in a second. I couldn't keep anything down for months with my pregnancies (All but my first, and I lost that baby at 12 weeks.). I lost a lot of weight for being pregnant too. It was terrible. Nothing helped, I was starving!
#15 of 40 Old 05-05-2004, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiland
Why? Why is it a tough call? I'm baffled.

Midwives and healers have "prescribed" it for thousands of years! It's probably the safest drug - on or off the market!

I just can't follow along here I feel like I'm from another planet....
I'll try to clarify a bit

Did you not read the part about the smoke? Smoke still contains carcinogens! It might be a 'safe drug', but it's still a drug, with potential side effects that could potentially harm your unborn babe! Digitalis is natural, but I wouldn't take it while pregnant. Herbs are still drugs and even 'safe' drugs should be taken with care esp while pregnant!

I agonized over pretty much EVERYTHING that I put into my mouth when I was pregnant! Tuna, raw milk cheese, the occasional glass of wine...all kinds of stuff that's prob just fine to have while pregnant, the risk of anything bad happening as a result, very low. BUT STILL! If there was a chance to take, or an unknown, I just didn't do it. The safest option IMHO.

I carried a perscription for an antiemetic(supposedly VERY safe for use in pregnancy)around in my coat pocket for a month before filling it. I had all the info telling me it was safe, but I still had trouble taking it! In the end it came down to having a heparin lock put into my arm and having my husband administer fluids to me at home or try the drug....I did, and it worked, but I still wondered everytime I put one in my mouth if I could be potentially doing some harm to my baby.

Thats why it would be a tough call for me. There's always a trade off with hyperemesis tho. Do you suffer with the barfing, the misery and the knowledge that you could potentially be denying your babe vital nutrients or do you chance taking something for it and risk potential side effects? Again I say, tough call.

#16 of 40 Old 05-05-2004, 02:07 PM

Grateful wrote: "I urge you to consider that this is a medicine. [...] I understand the concern...Ideally the developing fetus would have a pristine environment to gestate in...However if you live in the modern world that is just not the case. Do you drive? What about all the diesel and exhaust fumes you inhale on your way to the Dr. Apt. Or how about the water you drink or the food you eat that is covered in pesticides. What is the effect on the fetus?"

Exactly. I think most people are in a great deal of denial or ignorance about the toxins in their chosen environments that they are exposing their babies (and themselves) to. There are a lot of people in our country who are chronically ill, and most of it is not due to natural causes. Do any of you have carpeting in your houses? Do you know how toxic the chemicals are that are used to treat carpeting? Do any of you live within 20 miles of an industrial plant? Do you know that the law allows toxic levels of chemicals from these plants to be dispersed in the air and water? And on and on. It's all around us. It makes me sick, and I don't mean that as a figure of speech, I mean literally. I am one of those lucky people that have extreme chemical sensitivities. Marijuana, however, is not something that makes me sick, and if I ever have need to, I will use it as a medicine despite its legal status.

And by the way, smoking is not the only way to ingest it. But until it becomes legal (so that standards of production become available) smoking is the only way to regulate dosage in a timely manner. Why? Because the effect from smoking is quick enough that one can get almost immediate feedback, and adjust accordingly. Heating and eating takes too long to be practical. This wouldn't be an issue, though, if it was available in a standard form (like with other commercial drugs) that would allow you to reasonably predict what the effect would be.
#17 of 40 Old 05-05-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviolet

Exactly. I think most people are in a great deal of denial or ignorance about the toxins in their chosen environments that they are exposing their babies (and themselves) to. There are a lot of people in our country who are chronically ill, and most of it is not due to natural causes. Do any of you have carpeting in your houses? Do you know how toxic the chemicals are that are used to treat carpeting? Do any of you live within 20 miles of an industrial plant? Do you know that the law allows toxic levels of chemicals from these plants to be dispersed in the air and water? And on and on. It's all around us. It makes me sick, and I don't mean that as a figure of speech, I mean literally. I am one of those lucky people that have extreme chemical sensitivities. Marijuana, however, is not something that makes me sick, and if I ever have need to, I will use it as a medicine despite its legal status.

And by the way, smoking is not the only way to ingest it. But until it becomes legal (so that standards of production become available) smoking is the only way to regulate dosage in a timely manner. Why? Because the effect from smoking is quick enough that one can get almost immediate feedback, and adjust accordingly. Heating and eating takes too long to be practical. This wouldn't be an issue, though, if it was available in a standard form (like with other commercial drugs) that would allow you to reasonably predict what the effect would be.
The legality (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with it for me. I think its more of an 'intentional vs. unintentional' debate for me. Actively smoking marijuana is *intentionally* putting something into your body that *is* potentially harmful. Not only to yourself but your unborn babe.

I actually don't have carpet in my home ( I have a few hand made rugs) and I live in a fairly rural area and try to eat organic, pesticide free foods. I read ingredient labels and use organic,natural, biodegradible cleaners etc etc. but this is besides the point. I agree with you tho, we are never free from ingesting something that is potentially hazerdous. Such is life. The difference here is choice of will. I don't choose to breathe in contaminated air, but I don't have the ability to control the air quality of the world. I do have the ability to choose *not* to put something into my body that might harm me. I choose to limit my exposure (esp while pregnant) to potentially harmful chemicals. My baby has no choice in the matter, so I try to make intelligent descisions based on fact.

However, the real question here for me is "*IS* marijuana the lesser of two evils when it comes to severe hyperemesis". I don't know the answer. I don't know if it would have been an option for me in lieu of te anti-emetic I took or had that drug not worked. I honestly don't know, but I do know that it would be something I'd devote a LOT of thought too.

#18 of 40 Old 05-05-2004, 03:01 PM

Passively accepting environmental affects on our bodies is not any different from actively putting them there. It is still a choice, and we are still responsible. There is very little that we truly *cannot* avoid -- including air pollution. One mother has hyperemesis and for health reasons treats it actively with an illegal drug that may have adverse side effects. Another mother has hyperemesis and for health reasons treats it actively with a legal drug that may have adverse side effects. Another mother drives a car and accepts the toxic fumes from it into her body, in exchange for convenience in her chosen lifestyle. Yet it is only the first who most people even think of seriously judging and questioning. I never see anyone here at MDC getting all worked up about pregnant mothers driving cars, or living in cities, or putting sugar in their coffee. Or taking FDA-sanctioned drugs to combat hyperemesis. Or whatever potentially dangerous action is generally considered acceptable in our society. But turn the subject to marijuana, and people are going to let you know how bad and awful you are for even considering using it. (Not that that has happened on this thread, but there is a history of it on plenty of other threads.) Doesn't that seem irrational? It makes one wonder what the heck this is really about?
#19 of 40 Old 05-05-2004, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Passively accepting environmental affects on our bodies is not any different from actively putting them there. It is still a choice, and we are still responsible.
I passively accept the effects of gravity. It doesn't make it a choice.
Aside from hermetically sealing ones house and inserting ultra filtering devices into any outside orifice, I don't see how one can escape air pollution. I agree with you that we are still responsible...I didn't say otherwise. I said
Quote:
I don't have the ability to control the air quality of the world
Quote:
But turn the subject to marijuana, and people are going to let you know how bad and awful you are for even considering using it. (Not that that has happened on this thread, but there is a history of it on plenty of other threads.) Doesn't that seem irrational? It makes one wonder what the heck this is really about?
You'll get no agrument from me here! I agree that people tend to get weirded out when the subject of Marijuana comes up. But many don't! I'm one!

This is where I'm coming from tho...I didn't drink coffee tea or anyother caffienated beverage while pg. I didn't smoke ANYTHING or even burn inscence. I did't consume anything with aspartame, sorbitol or mannitol. I didn't drink anything with alcohol in it. I didn't take pre-natal vitamins!!All of these are supposedly perfectly safe to have in moderation during pregnancy, but I didn't want to take any chances. How safe is marijuana in pregnancy? How many long term studies have been performed by unbiased reputable scientists? Do the benefits outweight the risks? All of these are UNKNOWNS to me. It's not just because it's 'weed'! It's because it's a drug. Any drug, no matter how natural, organic, safe is STILL a drug and STILL potentially harmful.

#20 of 40 Old 05-05-2004, 07:55 PM

I wanted to share a personal experience as it relates to marijuana and pregnancy.

I live in a community that is in the forefront of the legalization of marijuana for medical use. I have the opportunity to interact with major players in the movement as well as the advances that have come about. One of the most exciting of these is called the Vaporizer. Vaporizers have been around for decades but not until recently has one been introduced to the market place that is truly revolutionary.

Vaporization is akin to toasting bread. Everyone knows the difference between burnt and toasted. Vaporization negates the carcinogens from the material because you’re not burning it. Hot air passes through the material and only produces THC and cannabinoids, which are the active ingredients in marijuana. To learn more about this you can visit this site
http://www.storz-bickel.de/en_anwndg.htm.

My wife was pregnant with our fist child and was experiencing morning sickness every day. She knew that cannabis was a natural nausea reliever and in a desperate move she vaporized. She experienced immediate relief and actually gained an appetite. After this amazing experience she realized the power of cannabis combined with this new technology.

We started researching the effects of cannabis and realized that the most up to date information states there are no risks of birth defects to babies who have been exposed to cannabis while in the womb (most of us probably knew that anyway). Most studies stated that if there is any effects they do not show up until much later in life in the area of executive function skills but results were still inconclusive.
http://www.acmed.org/english/faq/01-pregnancy.htm

I have read many peoples concerns in this forum about smoking a plant and the carcinogenic properties of cannabis smoke. I agree whole-heartedly that this is a real concern. Vaporization just might be the answer!!

Long story short…our daughter was born weighing 8lbs, 13oz, she was 22 inches long and is the most beautiful baby in the world (I could be biased). I would urge anyone considering using cannabis to combat morning sickness or related diseases to look into this new technology since it removes the carcinogen aspect of using cannabis. It is the healthiest way to ingest cannabis at this point in time. Until the FDA approves something else this is as close as you can get. http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread8236.shtml
#21 of 40 Old 05-06-2004, 12:02 AM

Great links, Gratefull.

I am still confused about how the very real, inherent risks that accompany severe hyperemesis can even begin to compare to a perceived POTENTIAL risk of using small doses of marijuana. It reminds me of the old circumcision argument.... that there MAY BE POTENTIAL benefits to circumcizing, but they are not known. So people still amputate their son's foreskins, directly putting them in harm's way for an unknown POTENTIAL benefit.

We know that there are direct, inherent risks to both mother and baby when a mother has hyperemesis, and instead of doing something (using mj) that MIGHT hold POTENTIAL risk - none of which have ever been documented by third-party researchers, might I add - mothers instead continue on the path that holds the MOST risk.... because they don't want to take a POTENTIAL risk........

It makes my brain bleed thinking about it :LOL
#22 of 40 Old 05-06-2004, 02:04 AM

I have worked with a mother who had morning sickness so bad that she wished for a miscarriage and thought about an abortion - even at five months.

So, to me, I think that anything that can relieve this crippling condition is welcome.
#23 of 40 Old 05-06-2004, 02:11 AM

I loved the article! yay to Mothering for putting it in there! I would have done the same thing if I was in that situation!!
I am sure marijuana is much safer than some prescription drugs out there.
#24 of 40 Old 05-06-2004, 04:14 PM

thanks, gratefull there's always options...
#25 of 40 Old 05-06-2004, 04:41 PM

"I passively accept the effects of gravity. It doesn't make it a choice.
Aside from hermetically sealing ones house and inserting ultra filtering devices into any outside orifice, I don't see how one can escape air pollution."

Not to beat a dead horse -- but what I was meaning to get across was that actually you -- we all -- do have a choice in how much air pollution we take in, by choosing where we live. For me, to make the choice to live somewhere less polluted would be inconvenient and difficult, especially financially, but I can't pretend that I don't have that choice at all. The same is true for just about everyone living in the U.S. Maybe you live in one of the most unpolluted places on earth, so it is not an issue. Maybe you don't drive a car. Maybe you don't have metal fillings in your mouth. Maybe you have never consumed a bit of sugar or pesticide-laced food. Good for you! I am not saying anything about you, personally. What I am saying is that most people are hypocritical about these things. They make choices, mostly for the sake of convenience (which in their mind I'm sure equals "need",) that fill their bodies with toxins, and then have the nerve to tell someone else that ingesting THC in pregnancy, as a medicine, is somehow morally inferior and irresponsible or stupid. Again, I'm not saying anyone on this particular thread has even done that (I haven't read closely enough to know.) I'm just making a general comment about our society's attitude toward marijuana, that's all.
#26 of 40 Old 05-06-2004, 05:52 PM

Hmm. When I was pg with ds, I barfed and barfed and barfed and lost weight (~10 lbs... not really a big deal) during the 1st 4-5 months (continued barfing till about 7 months, but I was able to gain weight at that point--barfing slowed down). Not hyperemesis, but pretty bad morning sickness. I really struggled to *not* take anything for it (including whichever large dose B vitamin it is that's recommended), because I was so afraid of possible side effects. I don't know what I'd do if I had had *real* hyperemesis where I *had* to do something... I think that would be a pretty scary, miserable place.

I'm pretty "clean living" (never any drugs of any kind, very moderate alcohol consumption, practically hold my breath when filling up the gas tank of the car etc) pg or no. But I *do* recognize that *medications* have their time and place... if I'm ill and need them, I'll take them! I wish there were less paranoia about THC, and more research, so *if* it could help people who need it (women with hyperemesis, cancer patients, etc.), it would be readily available (I s'pose by prescription) in a regulated, measurable, smoke-free form.
#27 of 40 Old 05-06-2004, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviolet
"I passively accept the effects of gravity. It doesn't make it a choice.
Aside from hermetically sealing ones house and inserting ultra filtering devices into any outside orifice, I don't see how one can escape air pollution."

Not to beat a dead horse -- but what I was meaning to get across was that actually you -- we all -- do have a choice in how much air pollution we take in, by choosing where we live. For me, to make the choice to live somewhere less polluted would be inconvenient and difficult, especially financially, but I can't pretend that I don't have that choice at all. The same is true for just about everyone living in the U.S. Maybe you live in one of the most unpolluted places on earth, so it is not an issue. Maybe you don't drive a car. Maybe you don't have metal fillings in your mouth. Maybe you have never consumed a bit of sugar or pesticide-laced food. Good for you! I am not saying anything about you, personally. What I am saying is that most people are hypocritical about these things. They make choices, mostly for the sake of convenience (which in their mind I'm sure equals "need",) that fill their bodies with toxins, and then have the nerve to tell someone else that ingesting THC in pregnancy, as a medicine, is somehow morally inferior and irresponsible or stupid. Again, I'm not saying anyone on this particular thread has even done that (I haven't read closely enough to know.) I'm just making a general comment about our society's attitude toward marijuana, that's all.
blueviolet,

With respect, I think we're both saying the same thing here, but maybe just from opposite ends of the room, if you catch my meaning. What I'm trying to get across is that blindly taking ANYTHING in pregnancy is folly. Natural or no, FDA approved or no. It's got nothing to do with society's attitude toward MJ and everything to do with lack of long term, valid research on the effects of THC on the unborn. Perhaps society's attitude is why this research doesn't exist, but until it does, I personally wouldn't have been comfortable taking it for my hyperemesis. But that's me. I believe I said in an earlier post that I have no prob's with someone feeling this is the route they'd need to go, but it would just have been a tough call for ME. But as I have said before, in various different ways, it was a tough descision for me with regard to taking anything. Again, this is ME and my choices! I would never pretend to know what is best for some one else and their particular situation.

Peace all!

ETA: I should specify that when I said I wouldn't have been comfortable using marijuana, I meant as a first try (for the reasons I've already talked about). If the drugs I took hadn't stopped the vomiting (mostly) then I'm sure I would have tried almost anything, but MJ would prob have been a last resort for me.For the record, I don't regret or feel guilty about taking them, but I did agonize over the descision to start.

#28 of 40 Old 05-06-2004, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiland
Great links, Gratefull.

I am still confused about how the very real, inherent risks that accompany severe hyperemesis can even begin to compare to a perceived POTENTIAL risk of using small doses of marijuana.
STILL haven't read the article, but I'll say what I said on the other thread. I doubt that marijuana would touch severe hyperemesis. I think it would probably be helpful for moderate hyperemesis, which it sounds like that is what this woman had. I've given up on waiting for my new issue, so I'm going to go out and buy it this weekend so I can stop talking out of my ass.

Anyway, I had severe hyperemesis twice and moderate to severe hyperemsis with my second child. Each time I was on daily home IV hydration therapy and twice ended up on artificial nutrition. Meds stopped the vomiting, at least cut it down, but nothing that first and last time made me feel well enough to eat or drink anything. I never tried marijuana. I might have the second time, but I just really don't think it would have done me any good. I could barely breathe without throwing up. No way would I have been able to inhale smoke without heaving.

Anyway, it seems like the article has given some the impression that a few hits off of a joint a day will make a woman with hyperemesis feel normal and she can go on to enjoy her pregnancy. This simply isn't true, can't be true. I've known women who have tried it for hyperemesis, and no one has said any such thing. She is not the first woman to try it, I can assure you. If it was some kind of miracle drug for hg, I would have heard about it. So that is kind of a problem I have with this whole thing. There are so many myths and misconceptions about hyperemesis and I hate to see new ones added to the list just when it is starting to get some real recognition in the medical community.

So, in conclusion, I would be more inclined to try marijuana with a moderate case of hg or severe morning sickness. Severe hyperemesis IS a scary place. I either have drugs and IVs when I'm pregnant, or my baby and quite possibly me AND my baby die. It is that simple. I don't feel bad about the meds I took while I was pregnant because I know that my kids would not be here without them. If I thought marijuana would have cured my hg, I would have been all over it. As it was, I didn't have access to it and I didn't seek it out. I'm sure as hell not going to judge anyone who did. Even moderate hyperemesis is hell, and I know I don't want anyone to judge me for the choices I made, so I'm not about to judge anyone else.
#29 of 40 Old 05-06-2004, 08:23 PM

For more info on hyperemesis, see http://www.helpher.org . Best resource on the web.
#30 of 40 Old 05-08-2004, 01:40 PM

I read the Mothering article about a mom who had severe hyperemesis during her entire first pregancy. She couldn't get out of bed, vomited several times a day. She had lost 30 lbs instead of gained weight and couldn't keep any food down. She ended up with severe malnutrition and pre-eclampsia (the belief is that pre-eclampsia happens from mal nutrition)/
OK so a few months into her second pregnancy (I know crazy) one of her old friends was over her house and had brought marijuana over.. it dawned on her that cancer patients smoked marijuana for nausua with great success and she reasoned for awhile if the benefits versus the negatives and decided to try it and on her first puff she felt great and normal for the first time during pregnancy.. and then ate pizza with her friend. I think after that she looked up on the internet exactly what the problems could be with her smoking marijuana during pregnancy and she couldn't find much... she actually found worse problems with some of the prescriptions that she had been given by her doctor for her problem. From then for the rest of her pregnancy she smoked very small amounts just to keep herself eating.. she gained weight during that pregnancy and had no complications.... went on to have more babies after that..

That was my rundown of many page article.. I don't smoke pot and I have never really been a "pot head" but I do believe that it has medicinal properties and that this woman did nothing wrong.. I think if the health of myself and my baby were at stake and I found something that was the lesser of evils I would of done it too. The problem with this article is that I am worried that it is going to make every mom who has morning sickness think it's ok to smoke marijuana for it.. when it's just a normal morning sickness and won't effect their health.

Anyways that's my thoughts..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page