what kind of Mayo scissors for episiotomy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-04-2004, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I understand it, a pair of "blunt-tipped Mayo scissors" are used when an episiotomy is performed.

I am going to buy a pair of those little devils to have around the house, for cutting paper & whatnot, as a little personal commentary on what scissors should be used for (i.e., not archachic surgical procedures.) But I want to buy the correct type of scissors...Allheart sells a 5 1/2 inch pair, and a 6 1/2 inch pair. I wonder if there aren't other conciderations to concider, too.

Does anyone know anything more specific about the instruments used when an episiotomy is performed?
#2 of 12 Old 05-05-2004, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the scissors you have linked are bandage scissors, which look very similar to the ones used for episiotomy.

The most common are called Braun Episiotomy scissors. Here they are in all their scary glory: http://www.surgical911.com/cgi-bin/d...bPage=0&Ftext=
#3 of 12 Old 05-05-2004, 08:08 AM

My mom told me about how birth happens when I was little. My little sister was born at home, and I asked about it. She told me that some doctors cut women because they think it's easier to get the baby out, but that they shouldn't be doing that. I felt so bad for the women who had been cut... the next Christmas after we listened to the Christmas story, I was very worried and asked my mom, "Did the doctor have to cut Mary to get baby Jesus out?"

She told me that no, Mary didn't need to be cut with scissors, and wasn't it sad that lots of other people are?
#4 of 12 Old 05-05-2004, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Oh pamamidwife, thank you for the link!!! Bwahahaha...."scary glory" alright!

I am saddened at their $70 price tag, though with any order of $1,500.00 or more you get free shipping. (Jeepers--shouldn't the capitol investment of such scissors encourage insurance companies to require that OBs follow the dictates of natural fetal expulsion and not cut? Yeah right...) So I'm glad to know that my $5 version is pretty close (though the blades aren't bent like the Braun pair you cite.)

I have a pair of salad tongs that I always joke are my homebirth obstetrical forceps...I am so wierd, I wish I had a pair of real obstetrical forceps to use for salad. "Don't be scared; they're just like salad tongs."

thnx for the props, Cyneburh...somehow I knew I wouldn't be the only mama lovin' the politics of episiotomy scissors for everyday use in my own home!
#5 of 12 Old 05-06-2004, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
the scissors you have linked are bandage scissors, which look very similar to the ones used for episiotomy.

The most common are called Braun Episiotomy scissors. Here they are in all their scary glory: http://www.surgical911.com/cgi-bin/d...bPage=0&Ftext=
I... feel... sick. :Puke

Thank God my midwife wasn't waving those around or even intending to use them! Hmm... I suppose she carries them but never uses them.
#6 of 12 Old 05-06-2004, 06:14 PM

I don't even carry episiotomy scissors. I have a pair of regular OR scissors with a blunt/sharp tip, but it will take some dire situation for me to put those to a woman's tissues.
#7 of 12 Old 05-06-2004, 06:32 PM

Good for you! My midwife said she knows *how* to do one, but never has done one. I guess one time she came really close to doing on episiotomy on my friend's mom several years ago but they were able to avoid it. So she may not carry them, after all... why pay for something you have NO intention of using?

My mom had three babies and three episiotomies ('81, '87, '88) and my MIL had SIX children and yes, she was cut every time. Her babies were born '52-'62.

I'm 50:50 now, and let me tell you healing without cutting open your vagina and stitching it closed again is MUCH easier. But you already know that. Unless it was the only thing keeping me away from a c/s I would kick anyone in the face who came anywhere near my perineum with scissors. : I read that episiotomies only make the pushing stage approx. 10 minutes faster.
#8 of 12 Old 05-06-2004, 06:35 PM

Here if you scroll down to "operating scissors" you'll see a "blunt/sharp" for $6 . That is what most OB's use for episiotomies these days.
#9 of 12 Old 05-06-2004, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

What size do you see during delivery, Mom2six...the 4.5 inch, the 5.5 inch, or the 6.5 inch? My dh said the scissors he watched the OB snip my perineum with were small.

Thanks for everyone's input. I want to have the real thing.
#10 of 12 Old 05-06-2004, 07:59 PM

Just reading the words episiotomy and scissors---I am physically ill. Can you tell I had a horrible, non-consented episiotomy??? It's been over four years, and there is still so much bitterness. I can't even make myself click the links to see the pictures! I remember a few years back in Mothering, there was a photo with episiotomy scissors w/a satin ribbon, and I couldn't bring myself to look at them.....

I know, I know, issues!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#11 of 12 Old 05-07-2004, 01:36 AM

nak

nope, i'm over here doing involuntary kegels too. and feeling ill....

yikes!

anybody see 'dead ringers'
#12 of 12 Old 05-07-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebeeglee
nak

nope, i'm over here doing involuntary kegels too. and feeling ill....

yikes!

anybody see 'dead ringers'
LOL! I like that, involuntary kegels.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page