Fairly decent article in Newsweek about birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2004, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it isn't ideal, but a lot better than I expected. Newsweek (5/10/04)

There is a big section devoted to women's health & an article about how women are controlling the birth process now--be it homebirth or elective c-section. The part about elective c-section was surprisingly balanced--saying that women are doing it for convenience sake or for fears about pelvic floor issues—but they do not say that this is definitive, or that c-sections are proven “safer” than vag. Deliveries. They say that while ACOG approves of elective Cs, the chair of the practices committee says she urges her won patients NOT to do them. Well, not too bad for a mainstream magazine, anyway.

The article also discusses the rising popularity of midwives & homebirths & even mentions HypnoBirth . The only thing they really come down on hard is waterbirth, but still, I was pretty amazed that the article was THIS positive. Could have been SO much worse.

It is on p. 70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2004, 03:56 PM

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same article that's being discussed on the MSNBC thread. When I read it in Newsweek, I came away with a completely different feeling than balanced

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2004, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

No, I certainly agree that much of the article is uke inducing, there is no question about it. The fist paragraphs about doctors "allowing" this and that made me have chills.

But beyond THAT crapola, I just felt that for a mainstream magazine, to even mention midwives, doulas, Hypnobirth, etc. without total derision was pretty exciting. As I said in my OP, the paragraphs on c-sections were suprisingly balanced to me--I've seen plenty of other articles that advocate elective c-sections for non-medical reasons--at least this article said that there was no proof that this was a good choice, you know? Again, restating my OP, I think when you read through the whole article, it was somewhat positive towards alternative choices & could have been much worse. (though the section on H2O birth was pretty bad)

Oh well . . .

Off to read the other thread, but no biggie--just a random little post anyway.

User Tag List