Changing to homebirth at 11th hour... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-06-2004, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else done this? I'm in the process of talking to several homebirthing midwives and hoping hoping hoping that one of them will agree to work with me (I'm 36w3d).

I've been working with a *medwife* and it's just not working for me at all. I don't feel comfortable with the degree of interventions that she seems nonchalant about (I was even tempted to delay delay delay going to the hospital until *oops* the baby arrives).

Anyway, I'm a wee bit anxious because I would really like things to work out.
BTW- could someone give me a link to one of those inflatable pools?

Thanks!

DS 6 DD 8
#2 of 11 Old 05-06-2004, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just had a client who birthed not too long ago switch to me at 37 weeks. Just make sure that you see your midwife more than once a week to help establish a relationship.

Also, you can find the inflatable pools here:

http://www.qualityinflatables.com/56493.html (this is my personal fave)
http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/SEV/SEVCP200.html
http://www.birthwithsol.com/birthpool.html

oh, and Congratulations! You will have a GREAT birth!
#3 of 11 Old 05-06-2004, 06:43 PM

Definitely doable... I've heard many stories of 11th hour switches. But I also know two people who intended to switch to homebirth and didn't do it in time. One ended up doing UC with no problems, and the other ended up in the hospital with an epidural.

I started interviewing homebirth midwives around 32 weeks and switched around 33-34 weeks. Like you, I was becoming increasingly unhappy with my CNM practice's ('medwives') care. Homebirth was the best decision we made! Go for it!
#4 of 11 Old 05-06-2004, 07:30 PM

Hi there! I am considering doing the same thing! I am 34 weeks along and not completely satisfied with my CNM, who works in a hospital. I mean, she supports most of what I want, but there are just three things that REALLY bother me. I am having a VBAC and they routinely do these two things for VBAC patients: 1.) an intrauterine pressure catheter 2.) internal monitoring, where they stick a probe into my baby's scalp!! She would also have to artificially breaking my water at 8-9cm or whenever they decide to insert the internal monitors.

Like you, I've been planning to stay at home as long as possible and hoping for an "unplanned" homebirth. My doula is a midwife in training, so I was thinking it would be perfect just to stay home "too long" and have an "oops". But then today I was thinking that maybe I should actually look into switching care to a homebirth midwife, since my doula is only a "midwife in training". So, I ran a search online today and found found a GREAT practice! I just emailed them, telling them about my situation and asking if it's too late in the game to switch to their care.

My heart has been with a homebirth from the start, but there were three things that changed my mind 1.) a comment my dad made. He said, "You aren't gonna try to give birth at home again, are you?" 2.) I had lost faith in licensed midwives, but as my pregnancy went on, I realized that it was just the particular midwife that I chose, not licensed midwives in general. What happened at my birth could have happened with any care provider! If I had been more educated, I would have known not to push when I did. (I attempted a homebirth with my last baby, but transferred to the hospital after pushing for 6 hours without enough progress) 3.) My fear of uterine rupture. The more I researched it though, the more I realized how rare it really is!!

Anyway, just wanted to pipe in and say that you aren't alone! I want to switch too, only 6 weeks from my due date!!

Good luck at let us know what happens!! Oh and as far as a birth tub goes, you can just go buy a cheapo inflatable kiddie pool, which will work just as well. I bought one for my last birth (I wanted a water birth) and it was wonderful to labor in a big pool of warm water!!
#5 of 11 Old 05-06-2004, 07:52 PM

Sounds like a wonderful decision to go with your instincts and your heart to birth where (and with) you feel safest, loved and comfortable. You will have so few births in your lifetime---YOU deserve the best care. We have to stand up for ourselves and our babies I trust that things will work out as they are supposed to. Keep the faith!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#6 of 11 Old 05-07-2004, 01:44 AM

With my first I switched after an absolutely abysmal 16 week visit to my OB. Which is more like the 5th hour. I had awesome care with my midwives and a great homebirth with him....I never looked back!!

Good luck!! Go for it!! and trust your instincts about everything.
#7 of 11 Old 05-09-2004, 09:40 AM

First of all - CONGRATS!!!

I was 28 weeks pg when I found my midwife when I was pg with Amber. I definitely agree with pamelamidwife about establishing a relationship with your midwife - it makes all the difference.

#8 of 11 Old 05-09-2004, 10:05 AM

I'm 30 weeks today, and our first appointment with our homebirth midwife happens week after next. I have been seeing a CNM (who fits that "medwife" description). I really like her personally, but it doesn't seem a bit different from the OB care I received with my son. Our visits are actually MORE rushed than the OB's. Not what I was expecting. (And her office is the pits.)

I hope a homebirth works out for you! Surely it will!
#9 of 11 Old 05-09-2004, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

We met with and hired a homebirth MW yesterday!

DS 6 DD 8
#10 of 11 Old 05-09-2004, 10:45 PM

Congratulations!!!
And good luck!! We're rooting for ya!!!
#11 of 11 Old 05-10-2004, 04:19 AM

Congratulations! That is awesome!! Wishing you a wonderful birth experience!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page