what do modest Mamas wear during labor and birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what do modest Mamas wear during labor and birth?

I am about to go through my third child birth, though first natural unmedicated and at a birth center. My first two were a long time ago in a hospital where I very comfortably wore a hospital gown aka tent! Now, I am in a new setting, new circumstances, I can bring whatever I want. There is a tub and I will be with some people that I know and some people that I don't. 1 of 3 midwives that I have met several times which I am comfortable with, birthing assistant that I have never met, my husband and a new friend who will be acting as a doula. So far I have packed two night shirt which are basically big t shirts at mid thigh, but I'm wondering is there something I would be more comfortable in while in the water? Something that isn't super revealing? This is not a religious modesty, just a personal preference. I can't see myself in just a bra :-)
#2 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Modesty

A sports bra or bathing suit top, tank top, even a t shirt over if you'd like......I had a birth similar to the one you are planning with one of my babies and wore a sports bra and later a tee. Hope this helps! Good luck
#3 of 7 Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM

I planned for being in the water as well but my baby had other plans! What I brought was a bandeau bra and soft shorts. You can wear bottoms in the water until it's time to push
#4 of 7 Old 08-05-2014, 02:46 AM

What about a cotton nursing bra? Then baby can go right to breast but you still have cover?
#5 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Remember, whatever you wear in the tub may have to be changed if it gets wet. Now I am not trying to change your mind about anything, and you know yourself better than I do. I am a very modest person, just my personal preference, but when I was REALLY laboring, I did not care at all that I was topless. I had on one of those hospital gowns, and it kept falling down, exposing my breasts. I was completely ok with it and actually felt better without that fabric on me. I got really annoyed when the nurse kept pulling it up to cover me! Anyway, the point of that was, you may find, especially with getting in and out of a tub that you are more comfortable mostly naked ?
#6 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I found a bathing suit with a skirt to wear in the tub. It was actually a one-piece, but fortunately made in such a way that I could cut out the crotch without problems (and I have a bikini bottom that I can wear with it now, so it's still useful).

It's a very short skirt, but more modest than just a top, and more comfortable than a big t-shirt. I was happy with it.

You can also get standalone swim skirts, which might also be a little longer.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#7 of 7 Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I usually wear a sports nursing bra under a cute tent type dress..because I know the dress will come off when the big labor begins. I then have a birth skirt underneath.

It's a lot less modest than I like to be..but since I usually take things off a lot in labor, it leaves me as covered as I can be.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page