Need recommendations for good books/videos.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-09-2004, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm due in August, and plan on having my 4 children attend this birth, and would like to get some good books (Especially those with pictures) and videos/dvds for my children.

I would love waterbirth or basically any good birthing info.

My kids really want to come, and my oldest ds is really curious about it.. I got a new book today (Gentle birth choices) and was reading it, and he saw a few pictures and started asking tons of questions. (YAY!)

I would like them to be prepared for my birth, but would love to have this opportunity to teach them that there are better ways to give birth, so when he marries (Hopefully after college, and a successful job) and becomes a dad (hopefully after step 1 and then marriage!) he is educated enough to help his wife have a 'good' labor.

Anyhow, can anyone recommend good reading? Or tapes? Or if anyone has one they are willing to share, we would love to have a copy of one to use as teaching material.

TIA~ Jodi
#2 of 6 Old 05-09-2004, 02:07 AM

Jodi,

My ds (and me, too) really liked the video Born In Water, A Sacred Journey. It's done by the Andaluz Waterbirth Center, and it's very well done. Nothing scary, just very normal, peaceful, beautiful births! I wish I had a copy to send---I borrowed mine from my mw.

Books---hmm, GBC is a good one. I also liked Lakshmi Bertram's Choosing Waterbirth--very nice. Anything by Sheila Kitzinger, if I remember, seems to have good pictures. I might be confusing her w/someone else though....I do that a lot

Uh oh, baby calling.....

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#3 of 6 Old 05-09-2004, 10:29 AM

Are you planning a homebirth? If so, Born in Water is a great home/birth center waterbirth video. Barbara Harper also has a Gentle Birth Choices video that you could show them selected parts of.

If you are planning a hospital birth, I would show them the above two videos but also some hospital-oriented ones, too, so they don't become alarmed when certain things happen.

Just wanted to clarify since you didn't mention where you were planning on birthing in your original post...

warmly,
claudia
#4 of 6 Old 05-09-2004, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you planning a homebirth?
Unfortunately, no.. I have to many medical problems, so I have to be in a hospital, just in case

I was lucky enough to find a great midwife, and the hospital seems awesome, they have a harper birthing pool, are willing to allow all my kids, the baby gets to stay with me for 1hr after birth (providing no complications) then will get moved off for 30 minutes while they check him over, and then he will room in with me the whole time I'm there. So that's a huge plus, especially over the hospital I had my other kids at where they fought tooth and nail to keep the baby in the nursery, and yank them away from you within 5 mins of birth, and keep them for hours.
Ok, I'm babbling. LOL

Thanks for the advice, any more is greatly appreciated.
#5 of 6 Old 05-10-2004, 09:25 AM

I think Claudia and I are recommending the exact same video! It *is* that good. I thought of another---Birth Day. It's filmed in Mexico, and it shows the home waterbirth of a midwife. It's gorgeous. Very calm and family centered. My ds watched it over and over. It's short, but worth it. We also watched Born in the USA, but it disturbed *me*---but, ds had me fast forward to the home waterbirths and skip the hospital ones--(flat on the back in bed, machines, drs etc.)

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#6 of 6 Old 05-11-2004, 01:46 PM

Birth into Being, the Russian Waterbirth Experience (I think that's what it's called) is BEAUTIFUL!!! It has 4(???) waterbirths- several of them take place in clear water tanks, so you can see the whole birth. There's also a sea birth. All of the births are out of hospital, but it's a gorgeous video!

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page