Urgent question regarding induction at 37 weeks - sister in hospital now. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
 
JsJa2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Urgent question regarding induction at 37 weeks - sister in hospital now.

My sister has had high bp off and on the last few weeks. Both her and baby have been fine otherwise. She is currently at 37w2d. She has been in the hospital since Monday morning, they placed an insert in Monday and another one 24 hours later with no progress. They started pitocin 15 hours ago and still no progress. She is waiting to meet with them and I'm afraid they are going to give her an unnecessary c-section. Is it possible for the doctor to stop the pictocin and just let her go home to labor naturally?
JsJa2002 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 10:52 AM
 
pokeyac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 3,605
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It doesn't sound like her body is ready to go into labor. From your description, it sounds like they gave her a cervical ripener/prostaglandin twice and nothing happened, and the pitocin isn't doing anything. It doesn't seem like she is in labor. If they let her go home, nothing may happen and they wouldn't be able to monitor her BP. Are they giving her medicine to lower the BP? It seems likely that they will suggest a c-section. The urgency of having the baby born depends on how bad the blood pressure situation is. She should talk to her doctor about all the alternatives. Ask what would happen if she did nothing. What are the risks and benefits of each treatment? I hope everything goes well. Just be there for your sister and support her and help her to remain as calm as she can.



Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
pokeyac is offline  
#3 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 04:49 PM
 
Asiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,804
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I wish your sister and baby the best. I have no experience with induction or hypertension but your post prompted me to read about it. I first searched 'pitocin risk on maternal blood pressure' and was a bit alarmed but risks and benefits need to be weighed. The following page seems to be balanced information:
http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...e.asp?ck=10652
Asiago is offline  
#4 of 4 Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 AM
 
phathui5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to move this to the Birth and Beyond forum so you can get more input.

Are you a Birth Professional, OP?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
phathui5 is online now  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off