measuring high for 13 weeks. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-11-2004, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi wise mamas,

i had a midwife appointment today (13 weeks on the nose), and she thought it was very strange that my fundus reaches halfway to my navel--more like one at 16 weeks. i'm very sure of my dates because: i know my cycles; we had an ultrasound at 8 weeks after a bleeding scare at which it was determined that we were measuring 5 days big, well within the standard deviation; and there is a foolproof sign--a few days after i become pregnant, i start needing to get up in the middle of the night to pee. it's very handy.

so anyway, i'd like to know whether any of you has experienced this, and what it meant, if anything. so far i know the possibilities are: twins (nope, ultrasound showed one peanut), a fibroid (nope, see above), the possibility that what we are feeling is some other organ that has spontaneously become the size of a softball and nearly as firm (eek), and just a really big or high up uterus. my midwife's opinion is that we should wait and see where we are at 20 weeks. our next appointment will be in four weeks.

thanks in advance for any experience or wisdom on this!

*jennifer

edited to add: hi, i'm a doof. i meant to post this to the "i'm pregnant" forum.
#2 of 10 Old 05-11-2004, 11:04 PM

Hi, did she "measure" by palpating with her hand, or did she measure with a tape measure? My midwife estimated 16 wks with her hand, but then got 14 with the tape measure. (I'm 14 wks). Anyway, she laughed and said that just proves that it's pretty inexact.

Don't know if that helps, but just thought I'd share.
#3 of 10 Old 05-11-2004, 11:37 PM

Not all early ultrasounds determine if twins are there are not. I know several people who had 7-8 week ultrasounds and at the 20 week ultrasound SURPRISE -- there were TWO babies!
#4 of 10 Old 05-12-2004, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Not all early ultrasounds determine if twins are there are not. I know several people who had 7-8 week ultrasounds and at the 20 week ultrasound SURPRISE -- there were TWO babies!

Yep, I'd give it a few more visits. You will more than likely see a leveling out at the next visit with your dates. I see this happen alot early on and by 20 weeks or so, we're right on target.

Remember that it's all an ESTIMATION. Even the measurements by tape measure are estimates. Our bodies and babies are so different and measurements can vary by up to 3cm/3weeks normally.
#5 of 10 Old 05-12-2004, 02:17 PM

I've measure "big" more often than not--sometimes 4 wks bigger. It's never been an issue with any of my HCPs. It really is just an estimate. If you are sure of your dates, then you can be assured it's really no biggie Not every uterus expands at the same rate, nor does every baby grow at the same rate. There's a wide spectrum of normal!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#6 of 10 Old 05-12-2004, 02:46 PM

It could mean anything.... fyrboid and twins which you mentioned not possible above...it could be a growth spurt in your babe. It could be the way you are when you are pregnant.

With my first I was about 4 weeks ahead consistant with a jump to 6 weeks ahead at week 24. With my second babe I was consistantly 9-11 weeks ahead with a jump to 15 weeks ahead at week 24.

My babes were both normal size (ds1 was 7 12 at 38 weeks and ds2 was 8 7 at 40 weeks)

It could jsut be you. The u/s tech told me that I have a large uterus and it is probably larger than normal even when not pg.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#7 of 10 Old 05-12-2004, 05:02 PM

Hi Jennifer!

When I was 11 weeks pregnant I had my 1st midwife appt. and I was measuring 14 weeks (with a tape measurer). She didnt say anything about it at all, so I never really thought much about it. I actually figured she was measuring wrong or something like that. Every since then, my measurements have been right on.

Im sure its nothing to worry about. Its probably very common. Ive heard from many people that the measurements arent even very exact.
#8 of 10 Old 05-12-2004, 05:21 PM

I have had the same thing happen with both of my last 2 pregnancies. I think that it is my uterus and it's shape and the way that it "fills" up so to speak.

They were *very* concerned about all that you mentioned, and it turned out to be just the way things were.

I also noticed with my last pregnancy that my uterus was a bit rounder on one side, and seemed to lay off to one side.

This made me measure funny, I think.
#9 of 10 Old 05-12-2004, 11:46 PM

i'm expecting my 4th and have always measured big with all my pregnancies...at my 12.5 wk appt with this one i was measuring 15 wks...it's jut how i carry babies...when i start to show, it's not just in my lower abd like most women, i show from under my ribs to my pubic bone.
#10 of 10 Old 05-13-2004, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

hooray!

thanks, you guys. to answer, she did palpate with her hand, not a tape measure. she didn't seem all that concerned, but the degree to which she seemed surprised had me wondering. you've all made me feel much, much better about it. thank you so much.

*jennifer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page