Certified Professional Midwife Licensure Act - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2004, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone has seen this, what you think of it and if you know anything else... From what I've read it seems like a good thing, considering that direct midwifery is completely illegal in Illinois right now.

http://www.legis.state.il.us/legisla...00hb3129lv.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 01:33 AM

Sounds preferable to the witch-hunt they have going on in IL right now. The state of IL is the one that invented the charge of "practicing nurse-midwifery without a license" since they had failed when they tried to prosecute DEM's with "practicing medicine without a license".
Old 05-13-2004, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sometimes licensure is a good thing, other times it is not. I'm all for VOLUNTARY licensure, but sometimes mandatory licensure can be just as bad in terms of fines and charges as not being legal at all.

I hope that Illinois finds some common ground. It's just horrific there.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:01 PM

I just cannot believe that *anyone* thinks they should have the right to tell someone that they cannot assist a birth without their actions being regulated by the state. Like parents cannot possibly make the decision for themselves whether someone is qualified enough to attend their births? I sure don't need the government (forcibly) holding my hand and telling me what I can and can't do during birth.

Old 05-13-2004, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviolet
I just cannot believe that *anyone* thinks they should have the right to tell someone that they cannot assist a birth without their actions being regulated by the state.
That's what bugs me about it as well, but it definately seems a better alternative to being able to put a midwife in jail just for helping a mom give birth
Old 05-14-2004, 02:32 PM

The more I read about homebirth issues in Illinois (I'm originally from Chicago) the more impressed I am with my Aunt who gave birth at home in 1981. I think she had a nurse attending, but I'm still proud of her.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:33 AM

I would love for this to be real. I've been begging dh to leave Illinois (for a land with real hills!) so I can become a midwife, but he won't budge, and I don't think I'd be happy as a CNM, answering to a doctor. The doctors here are very hostile to homebirths. Does anyone have any info?
Old 05-15-2004, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
Just wondering if anyone has seen this, what you think of it and if you know anything else... From what I've read it seems like a good thing, considering that direct midwifery is completely illegal in Illinois right now.

http://www.legis.state.il.us/legisla...00hb3129lv.htm
It's a decent bill, but it has next to no chance of passage. Illinois midwives/midwifery advocates have been working on legislation since 1979 (at least that was my first involvement with the ongoing battle for licensure of Illinois midwives), and with the current Illinois Supreme Court ruling declaring that the only "acceptable" midwife is a CNM, it seems more remote than ever.

Given that somewhat pessimistic statement, however, regulation is going to be the only alternative to Illinois midwives being persecuted out of existence. Although the "witch hunt" (as another poster referred to it) is currently in a lull, every currently practicing Illinois midwife knows she may be only one hospital transport away from an arrest warrant.

Valerie
Old 05-16-2004, 01:05 AM

I think it's downright sad that a woman has to place her life and the life of her unborn child into a person's hands (literally) that she doesn't want to. If a woman wants to deliver with a midwife, in the privacy and comfort of her own home, I really don't see how it's ANYONE'S place to tell her she can't, OR that there are certain regulations that she must follow. It's her body. It's her baby. It SHOULD BE her decision. It's sad.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice2
If a woman wants to deliver with a midwife, in the privacy and comfort of her own home, I really don't see how it's ANYONE'S place to tell her she can't, OR that there are certain regulations that she must follow.

The really screwed up part is that homebirth itself is perfectly legal, but midwives aren't. So by that logic you either hve to go UC (and there's nothing wrong wiht that, it's just not for everyone) or try to find one of the few doctors or CNMs that attend homebirths. So either way many women would be unable to get the type of care they desired. It makes me respect my midwives so much more knowing that they are risking everything to help women like me and our babies.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:00 PM

Ita!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Alittle T, but pertinent.

In CA, at one time (sometime in the late 1970's, early 1980's?), a midwife could practice as long as she passed a state test and completed a course of study.

While that was on the law books, there was no way in the state at the time for a midwife to enroll and matriculate in a course of study, nor was there any state approved examination for her to sit and take.

A real chicken and egg situation. A real Catch-22.

I delivered my first three children at home in that time period. My midwife was licensed in NJ, VA, and TX., but not CA, because it was impossible to be licensed in CA, unless you had a license from forty years before.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 05-18-2004, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
While that was on the law books, there was no way in the state at the time for a midwife to enroll and matriculate in a course of study, nor was there any state approved examination for her to sit and take.

A real chicken and egg situation. A real Catch-22.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:54 PM

Furthermore, as I understand it, midwives work with no malpractice insurance. At one time there was an insurance company, one that is outside of the United States, I seem to recall, that had malpractice insurance for midwives, but not any longer.

It is in this way, the big drug companies, the AMA, and the insurance companies dictate to women how and where their children will arrive in this world. The is the true, the real "curse of Eve", if there ever was one. Western thinking! Agh!

Midwives who practice now are very brave indeed.

Thank you, all of you!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 05-30-2004, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
Furthermore, as I understand it, midwives work with no malpractice insurance. At one time there was an insurance company, one that is outside of the United States, I seem to recall, that had malpractice insurance for midwives, but not any longer.
I think you are refering to CNM's. After they had problems with the one insurer that would write them policies, the ACNM organized a group that will insure CNM's, even those doing homebirths and birth center births.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:18 PM

O.K., that is why I qualified my statement with, as "...I understand it...", since I know that I was not really sure of all of the details and it has been awhile since I read it.

User Tag List