I've got something extra down there after the birth - Mothering Forums
Birth and Beyond > I've got something extra down there after the birth
USAmma's Avatar USAmma 06:09 PM 05-13-2004
I had my baby 3 mos. ago. It was an easy labor, just one small tear to the side requiring no stitches. Well my dh recently noticed I had some extra skin down there so I felt around and OMG it's like I have an extra digit. I hope that's not TMI but it's at the southern end of my vaginal opening and it's about an inch long. I can actually tuck it into my vagina to get it out of the way.

It's not uncomfortable, but it's not something that is meant to be there. How in the world did it get there? Did I stretch and not go back, or what? I did have a deep episiotomy for my first birth in that spot where "the thing" is but it wasn't there until after this birth.

I'm half laughing here and half freaking out.

Darshani

anothermama's Avatar anothermama 09:26 PM 05-13-2004
You know, I ended up with an extra little dangly bit also.......not quite as big as yours it doesn't sound like but it's there. I honestly never noticed it until I really *looked*. In the five years since the birth of my daugter, no ones said anything about it in pap smears or anything and my midwives now just chalked it up to changes in your vagina from birth. If your worried, I'd have a midwife or OB take a peek, but it sounds normal, at least for me.
pamamidwife's Avatar pamamidwife 10:27 PM 05-13-2004
yeah, it sounds like a skin tag. Totally harmless, totally normal. Some people prefer to get them snipped off for cosmetic reasons. I have one!
mamabutterfly's Avatar mamabutterfly 11:30 PM 05-13-2004
hey darshani -

actually that sounds like something i recently developed! i asked about it recently on Health & Healing & several folks suggested it sounded like a Bartholins cyst or a swollen Bartholin gland. I'd never heard of it, but with a quick search it sounded just like what I have 'protruding' from my vagina. not a problem unless it gets infected. sitz bath, soaking etc is supposed to help. but mine hasn't gone away - yet i have no pain, etc. so i'm ignoring it. should probably check with the mw but i haven't

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthato...gland_cyst.html

hth,

mamabutterfly
USAmma's Avatar USAmma 01:19 AM 05-14-2004
Thanks for the responses! I guess it's not that unusual then. I was feeling pretty shy about asking here but this is a safe place to ask bizzare questions about the body. lol! I feel better about it, and I guess since it's not bothering me I'll just ask about it at my next pap smear to make sure that's all it is.

Darshani
Mavournin's Avatar Mavournin 09:38 AM 05-14-2004
I had one after my DD was born. I called it my 'tail'. Mine was extremely uncomfortable though. It burned when I peed and made the whole vaginal area red and sore. The midwives told me it was from the way my skin healed after my stitches. They burned it off with silver nitrate. I was really worried about any other births after that - but with my DS - no tears, no tails, no soreness. I guess it's not as weird as I thought then.
anothermama's Avatar anothermama 10:50 AM 05-14-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin
I had one after my DD was born. I called it my 'tail'. Mine was extremely uncomfortable though. It burned when I peed and made the whole vaginal area red and sore. The midwives told me it was from the way my skin healed after my stitches. They burned it off with silver nitrate. I was really worried about any other births after that - but with my DS - no tears, no tails, no soreness. I guess it's not as weird as I thought then.
T
I never noticed your sons name, Mavournin! Thats what we are naming our son!

lorijds's Avatar lorijds 02:43 PM 05-14-2004
Sounds like a skin tag. I've got one. I actually ranted about it one time to dh, saying the doc must have screwed up with the repair after my second birth (I had three stitches) and he was like "Ummm, it's been there since dd #1 was born." OH.

There are other possibilities. One is a tag from the hymenal ring. Like a skin tag, just slightly different origin.

If you don't like it, your mw/OB can remove it in the office. Mine is small enough that I really don't notice it. One of my friends had one that was long enough that it got pulled on when she wore her slinky little underwear. She was scared she was going to cut it while shaving. So she got it removed. But mine wasn't catching, so I wasn't fretting!

Lori
Up