Is this normal during unmedicated birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is this normal during unmedicated birth?

I feel a bit weird/embarrassed to ask this, but here goes. During my labor with baby #2 I had an incredible amount of rectal pain and pressure. I know some of this is normal, but by the time I was pushing the rectal pain was absolutely equal to if not worse than the vaginal pain. I never asked if this is normal or not, and now that I'm approaching delivery with my next baby I'm wondering about it again. My concern is that maybe I did something during labor to injure that area, or that something was wrong to start with. I do tend to experience several months of postpartum difficulties with bowel movements, mostly frequent diarrhea to the point of significant weight loss, but it always eventually goes away and I've had a GI work up and nothing was found.

So I'm wondering if the severe rectal pain during delivery is something that perhaps points to a problem, or whether this is common for natural deliveries. Any insight appreciated - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old Today, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This post is quite old now, but just in case you're still wondering- I had an incredible amount of rectal pain with my labor and birth. I had the father of the baby applying pressure to just above my rectum and it helped a lot but I ended up bruised and sore for weeks. But yes, the rectal pain was as intense as the vaginal pain!

Single mama to an only born November 2012.
Co-sleeping, vaxing, baby-wearing, sometimes cloth diapering, car seat safety advocate. Still nursing with no end in sight

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page