laboring in water (August) - cool or warm water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-14-2004, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am due in early August with my first baby. I am using a great CNM and my birth center has jacuzzis in their delivery rooms - allowing water labor but not water birth (their policy prohibits water birth). I am a 3-bath a day addict, I love being in water for pain relief.

My midwife has mentioned several times that her best advice is to delay going to the birth center as late as possible. It will be HOT and HUMID here when I'm due... If I "stay home as long as possible," will I want to be in a warm bath in the house in the bathtub?
Or would I want to buy a kiddie fishie pool and fill it with cool water and labor out on the patio? (will cool water be less relaxing to my body?)

Or should I disregard the "stay home as long as you can" advice and get to the air-conditioned birthing center and get myself a room with a big jacuzzi? I am worried about getting there late and no jacuzzi rooms being left for me!
#2 of 5 Old 05-14-2004, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, I tend to think that coming in later is better because there's less they can do to intervene. But, that's only an issue that you can answer, based on the support of your providers, your partner, etc.

Regarding the water temp, whatever feels good to you. Usually room temp water feels great (around 80 in the summer) and it feels cool enough without being chilly. The idea is to have some buoyancy and the water temp is secondary.

I hold this value to women in labor, too. There's no set temp for birthing tubs that I have - it's all fine as long as it's not too hot (anything over 98 or 99 starts to get too warm for women). Babies can be born in 85 degree water and be just fine.
#3 of 5 Old 05-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Banned

I have not had a waterbirth- it doesn't work well for me, but I think anything that doesn't make you shiver should be fine. Keep in mind that cool water combined with air conditioning could make you quite cold. I don't know about you, but when I am cold, my muscles tense and that sort of defeats the purpose of the water in the first place. Since we don't have air conditioning, I like taking lukewarm baths in the summer as a way to cool off-warmer than a pool outside (plus no chlorine!) but definitely cooler than my body. I plan on giving this a try while in labor this time (late June!).
#4 of 5 Old 05-14-2004, 11:34 PM

I gave birth last Aug in water on a really hot humid day. After the birth pool was filled, it was way too hot for me, and the midwives and dp emptied out buckets, and replaced them with cold water. It was then lukewarm, and the perfect temp for me, and our house doesn't have AC. The only thing was that after dd was born, I had to get out of the tub pretty quickly, because the water was too cold for her. Pretty quickly meaning after a few minutes, maybe five, but I didn't care, I had my baby

About the when to go to the birth center issue, how comfortable do you feel about being there? I think it is all about your comfort level. I had a homebirth, and I definitely wouldn't have wanted to get out of the water once I got in, but then again, I didn't get into the water until I was completely dialated, lol.
#5 of 5 Old 05-16-2004, 01:49 AM

I've labored in water for two births at a birth center, and I'm hoping by the time I have the third one to be outside because what I wanted was warm water in the tub with very cold water poured over my head. Since I couldn't pour water over my head onto the bathroom floor, I had to settle for cold washclothes and ice.

Considering getting a hottub for that reason & for general pleasure. Any suggestions people for hottubs/outdoor baths?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page