tell me I'm in labor........(support thread, please) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmamma
anothermama- 42 weeks is considered term, not overdue. I know how it feels to go overdue but don't get too defensive about a suggestion telling you to stop with the inducing herbs. Induction herbs are not to be taken lightly, they are poisonous. If you are getting sick from them that is a great sign your body is saying the baby doesn't need them. I'd be a lot more inclined to want to know if your baby is in a position where its head isn't applied to your cervix. No one is attacking you, no one is judging you. I'm sure you're tired and sensitive and frustrated. WHen you take labor induing herbs, you deny the baby the chance to start labor with their own hormones. You create a hostile environment in the womb for the baby and you can cause complications of labor. I'm sure you know this and feel like you've weighed your options. Babies are smart and a lot of women go to 43 weeks or almost with all of their kids and they turn out fine. If you have a feeling pregnancy is over, or should be, have you midwives check the baby's position to make sure his/her head is applied to the cervix, go get your homebirth kit ready, take a long nap, and go to the acupunturist and see if s/he can't get labor started. Cohosh crosses the placenta, but acupuncture is not a drug. I know you're trying to do what's best for your family and you know best how to do that. Please just take the advice you get here asloving and friendly- the way it's intended.
*From what I've read, 42 weeks *is* overdue for *most* subsequent babies. Not that it's harmful, just past "term".

*Baby has been in position for a while.

*I've mentioned a few times now I HAVE quit the cohosh,ok?

*I think we need to trust women who know their bodies. I actually had a visit w/ my midwives today and suprise surprise they think I'm right......that this pregnancy is done and it's time to kick things into gear. I *knew* I felt this way for a reason.............
#32 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
If the baby was ready, wouldn't it be here?

It's fine if anyone wants to flame me, but I don't believe in putting mother's emotional health before baby's physical health.

I am nearly 39 weeks and would like to be done NOW! But the baby is not ready. I'll try walking (since I'm supposed to be walking anyway) and sex (since it's what I'd be doing anyway, too!) but I told my mw's, nothing else. No 5W, no other herbs, etc. My first was born at 38 weeks. Doesn't mean this one is ready at 39 weeks.

I have NO signs that I will go anytime soon. No mucus. Never had a b/h contraction. Head is not engaged. Baby is still moving around a lot. Still gaining lots of weight. It's frustrating, but it's not up to me...I'm only second-in-command here. The baby is the true expert.
I'm not saying put the mothers emotional health before the babies......I'm saying COUNT it. CONSIDER it. Dismissing it is unhealthy for EVERYONE.

I'm 40 to 42 weeks. My mucus has changed, babies hardly moving at all, is likely over 9lbs at this point, head engaged, and a fair ammount of small real contrax. Difference. YOUR experience is not everyones. SOME people have a pregnancy that is *done* at 40 weeks.

I'm going to say this now as I should have said it in the begining....I wanted this to be a SUPPORT thread, not a thread where I begin to be attacked for being different than you. Not a thread where I would be dismissed or subtly flamed for trying to take emotional care of MYSELF as well as try to have a healthy pregnancy.

Luckily, my midwives feel the same way as I do..........that the physical AND emotional health of the mama is IMPORTANT to a healthy labor. Maybe read some Ina May to gain some insight into this. Mamas need their head in the right space just as much as they need their bodies to be healthy.

And.........again..........there needs to be consideration for the knowlege a woman has of her OWN body. I had been balking at going to my midwives this past week or so but I finally went in today. I was right. I knew myself. This pregnancy is pretty done. Granted, I'm back to square one because I'm not taking any cohosh or castor oil so I need to look into other other options at some point..........but things are ready.

Again.........I wanted/needed a support thread. And I respectfully ask that it stay as such..
#33 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 09:28 PM

Anothermama, Glad your visit went well. You're in my thoughts- keep us posted! and I agree, you need unconditional love and support.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#34 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey, mama, have they tried doing a cervical stretch & sweep? Sometimes this really helps "push you over the edge" in regards to getting labor going.

Sending you lots of positive, loving vibes!
#35 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 09:35 PM

Sweeite, no matter what happens or what you stop doing, you are not at square one. Every minute that passes is one minute that puts you closer to the birth. You WILL give birth eventually, I promise!

Call your midwives if you start to just feel like something is wrong. You said that somewhere and I think you should listen to that.

Please keep us updated. I can't wait to hear the birth story!
#36 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 09:43 PM

to you!

It's a hard wait. I remember clearly. In fact, it's what I dread most about another pregnancy!

Soon, you'll be holding your sweet one and peering into his or her soft, wonderful face.

Happy birthing to you, and peace.
#37 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
hey, mama, have they tried doing a cervical stretch & sweep? Sometimes this really helps "push you over the edge" in regards to getting labor going.

Sending you lots of positive, loving vibes!
Pam.......youre the best.........I bet you are such a great midwife. We've actually contemplated moving to Portland........isn't that where you are???????

Anyways..........I *think* thats what she did today.......I'm about 3cm and she kind of swept around in there, stretching things a bit, giving me some good visualizations...........it hurt like a mofo! She said she was able to get two fingers in and open them a bit and then she turned them around in circles for a bit.....sound right? It was encouraging that there is progress and they feel like things are *close* all things considered......my physical state, my emotional state, my mental state, how the baby is......etc etc. Sooooooo.........we'll see. Who knows. I've had some mild to medium contrax all afternoon but I don't want to get my hopes up too much and so I'm gonna focus on just relaxing and hanging out right now.

I kind of thought she was holding back about her guess for weight and I was right.......she's thinking he's bigger than his sister was at this point......she was about 9 1/2. Woo hoo.

Thanks so much.........you're so great.
#38 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
Sweeite, no matter what happens or what you stop doing, you are not at square one. Every minute that passes is one minute that puts you closer to the birth. You WILL give birth eventually, I promise!

Call your midwives if you start to just feel like something is wrong. You said that somewhere and I think you should listen to that.

Please keep us updated. I can't wait to hear the birth story!
Mothra..........thank you for that! I needed to hear that!!

#39 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well, I happen to think that you're - well, I'm not gonna jinx you. Just know that you're in my thoughts!

I'm actually about an hour south of Portland.

I cannot wait to hear your birth story! It's so close!
#40 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 10:23 PM

see, youre already through early labor!!
Thats how mine were. I totally understand your frustration, believe me.
Happy baby coming out thoughts
#41 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 10:25 PM

Oh--it is such a hard wait!!!!

My first was due on my 30th birthday, and I just *knew* he was gonna come that day. Yeah, right!!!! I guess no one told him that he was supposed to come that day! He thinks it is great, though--he's happy not to have to share a bday with me.

I totally feel for ya, anothermama--waiting is the worst. I am generally anti-induction, as well, but I tell you--I was ready to perform a c-section on myself with DS!!! (Oh--and it was July, as well & I was as big as a whale!!)

Good luck--babe will be in your arms soon!!!
#42 of 47 Old 05-21-2004, 06:21 PM

When I was in early labor with my son I was barfy. I hope this goes quickly for you.
#43 of 47 Old 05-21-2004, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermama
*From what I've read, 42 weeks *is* overdue for *most* subsequent babies. Not that it's harmful, just past "term".

*Baby has been in position for a while.

*I've mentioned a few times now I HAVE quit the cohosh,ok?

*I think we need to trust women who know their bodies. I actually had a visit w/ my midwives today and suprise surprise they think I'm right......that this pregnancy is done and it's time to kick things into gear. I *knew* I felt this way for a reason.............
responding via pm.
#44 of 47 Old 05-21-2004, 07:46 PM

Hmmmm...anothermama, I think you should listen to your body. If your intuition is that strongly telling you to get the baby OUT, you may want to call your midwife just to make sure everything is ok.

Actually I'm rereading over this and it looks like you just had a mw appointment. Everything ok? I don't mean to scare you, I'm just a big believer in intuitive feelings.
Maybe it means that the baby will be here soon. Oh well, you could always try chasing a wild dog around the block. That one worked wonders for me
#45 of 47 Old 05-22-2004, 12:33 AM

That is so funny that someone mentioned chasing a wild dog around the block!!! The day before I went into labour with my DD, there was this big rotweiller in our yard that was just barking at our house, so I went outside and chased him around the house a few times. :LOL He was friendly, but a neighbours dog.
#46 of 47 Old 05-22-2004, 01:31 AM

Wait a second...did you live in Humboldt at that time? That could have been my damn dog!!!! :LOL
#47 of 47 Old 05-22-2004, 02:50 AM

Nope, I lived in the Kootenays (south-central B.C)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page