tell me I'm in labor........(support thread, please) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 05-14-2004, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:Puke .......or else I'm gonna start freaking out.........

about three days ago, I started feeling really nauseous.......it kind of comes in waves through the day and at it's worst, it's impossible to do anything. I feel like such utter *crap*.

I took black cohosh a few times yesterday and I think that made it worse......I was dying by last night.

I didn't take anymore but today I still have the waves of just crappy. Crappy. Crappy.

I'm *hoping* it's early labor or something because otherwise I'm freaking out that I've gotten some stomach bug.......just what I need.

And......would it be horrible if I just made myself throw up???? It gets so bad I feel like that would be my only recourse but I have been feeling like something about that would be wrong to voluntarily toss my cookies when I'm about to have a baby........I dunno.....I'm very foggy brained right now too.

Anyone else get barfy before labor? Anyone just let the cookies fly instead of trying to keep it all down? I'm definitely not eating very much right now because my stomach is so upset......

*hrm*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 05-14-2004, 10:24 PM

Doesn't sound like labor to me. No contractions? Don't take any more cohosh, okay? No, it's not wrong to go make yourself barf if you think it will make you feel better. Go barf, then eat a snack and drink some water.
#3 of 47 Old 05-14-2004, 10:50 PM

A couple of days before I had my DD, I had very loose bowels, but no throwing up. Everyone is different, though. How far along are you? How far along was your mom, when she had her babies? because that is a pretty good indicator of when you will go into labour.
#4 of 47 Old 05-14-2004, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm 39 weeks........I'm due in 6 days, technically.......

My mom and grandma AND greatgrandma all delivered their second at 38 weeks. Yay me for breaking tradition. *lol*

Ive been looking online and I can't find anything that says it would be horrible if I just made myself barf..........which sounds horrible but I feel like I'd feel SOOO much better right now................

ergh.
#5 of 47 Old 05-14-2004, 11:53 PM

This may sound gross, but it may make you happy...
I barf my babies out. Almost literally.
I start feeling like I need to throw up a couple of days before labor. Then my water breaks, and I actually start throwing up.
Then, once I start, I keep throwing up every 20 minutes or so until I'm dilated to 10. Then, I barf in between contractions.
I push twice (one for head, two for shoulders) and I have a baby.

Maybe you'll be that "lucky"
#6 of 47 Old 05-15-2004, 12:47 AM

I remember throwing up about a week before dd was born (and calling the midwife because I must be in labor, right??).

I've been feeling pretty sick to my stomach lately at 31 weeks. The advice I was given was to eat every two hours. Apparently waiting too long was wreaking havoc with my blood sugar.

grnbn76, I hope your labors aren't too long...I can't imagine throwing up every 20 minutes for 14 hours, for instance. Lucky you...
#7 of 47 Old 05-15-2004, 12:51 AM

ohhh. . .ugh! sorry you feel so icky. I hope this is it for you! I had a really bad stomach bug a couple weeks before I had Karis, and kept wondering (for 2 days!) if I was in labor. Alas, I was not. Sorry no real advice, just a for you.

namaste.gif

#8 of 47 Old 05-15-2004, 01:17 AM

There is bad stomach flu stuff going around. I had diarhea, but no puking.
(fast labor vibes)
#9 of 47 Old 05-15-2004, 07:42 AM

sending you some birthin' vibes too!

Hang in there!
#10 of 47 Old 05-15-2004, 08:27 AM

I really hope this is it for you, and that you start feeling better soon!
#11 of 47 Old 05-15-2004, 12:00 PM

Here's hoping you are! :

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#12 of 47 Old 05-15-2004, 02:11 PM

I sure hope you are! LOts of hugs and nice, easy, labour vibes for you!

Olivia
#13 of 47 Old 05-16-2004, 01:15 AM

One of my best friends threw up during her entire labor too. She never even had the first contraction (that she felt) until they broke her was. She was dialated to 4 when she got to the hospital. She went because she thought that she had a virus. She was in labor. She called me yesterday, she is again 37 weeks. She told me that she is having mild contractions, but that she started throwing up again and was headed to the hospital. I haven't heard from her since. Baby vibes to you!!!
#14 of 47 Old 05-18-2004, 01:37 AM

I barfed all through my labor, too. Since it was my first baby everyone assured me I would go late, so when I woke up at 5 am puking, three days before my due date, I thought I was really sick! I sat on the couch (near the bathroom) for 4 hours, puking every 30 minutes and having these weird little cramps, wondering if I had food poisoning...then the cramps got more and more regular...then I realized, those stomach cramps are awful low...this can't be labor, it doesn't hurt. We had planned a homebirth, and I had thought, how wonderful, I'll be able to eat and drink and keep up my energy- ha! Everything that went down, came back up. I did get several long stretches without actually throwing up, but only after I refused to try to drink any more fluids. Its been 2 years and I still can't look at a bottle of Gatorade.
#15 of 47 Old 05-18-2004, 02:30 AM

Well? What's going on?
#16 of 47 Old 05-18-2004, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

a whole lotta NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

: :ignore : ild

Some black cohosh........sicko.....so I quit that and went over to the breast pump.......I actually got some minor contractions from that or when I go walking and they always go away. *sigh* In a way, I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably carry this guy to 43 weeks like his sister.

My midwives said that a change in discharge would be an indicator and I *have* had SIGNIFICANTLY waterier discharge and lots of it, but nothing else, really. Bah.

*sigh*

Oh well.
#17 of 47 Old 05-18-2004, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you are SO CLOSE, mama! yes! I know it's gonna happen soon. I hear you! You're doing great! You're body is perfect! Your baby is perfect! Good things come to those...well, I had better shut up before I get a kick!
#18 of 47 Old 05-18-2004, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
you are SO CLOSE, mama! yes! I know it's gonna happen soon. I hear you! You're doing great! You're body is perfect! Your baby is perfect! Good things come to those...well, I had better shut up before I get a kick!
P-

I do appreciate the support and encouragement and have never needed it more........I don't even remember being this antsy with my daughter.....I just accepted she'd be late from the get go.

My DH said to me the other night "Well do you want it now and to have it be slow or to wait until it's time and have it go fast?" and even though it pissed me off that he said it..... he's probably right. And I just keep trying to tell myself that.

#19 of 47 Old 05-19-2004, 12:15 AM

Aww hun those last days really drag don't they?

Your baby will be here soon! Maybe you can find something to keep your mind off things for a few days? Cook, sew, paint, go get a good juicy novel? Keep us posted, ok?

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#20 of 47 Old 05-19-2004, 02:47 PM

i had the bug over the weekend...i'm 38.5 weeks. i got so dehydrated that i started having contrax. also from the diarrhea, i spose
at first i thought, yeah, labor, let's get this thing going! but then i figured, if it really is a bug, it'll stay for a few days and i will not be able to care for my baby, let alone go through labor and push it out. so i laid down for a couple of days, the contrax went away and the bug really stayed for a couple of days. now i'm over it and have energy for labor! gotta get the contrax starting again, but hey, i'm a few days shy of 39 weeks and sex is fun, right?
take it easy, mama, just ask yourself how much energy would you have right now to go through labor?! take a nap...
#21 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 01:02 PM

This might not be a popular opinion to express.... but I really think you should stop taking all the labor inducing herbs and stop trying to induce. You have no medical reason to induce and your baby needs to cook... you'd feel AWFUL if you forced the baby into the world when it is not ready, right?

Relax. Babies come when they are ready right??

I'm not negating that you're uncomfortable or anything, but it's really best to just wait right?
#22 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
This might not be a popular opinion to express.... but I really think you should stop taking all the labor inducing herbs and stop trying to induce. You have no medical reason to induce and your baby needs to cook... you'd feel AWFUL if you forced the baby into the world when it is not ready, right?

Relax. Babies come when they are ready right??

I'm not negating that you're uncomfortable or anything, but it's really best to just wait right?
I appreciate your honesty.......

But I will say that is VERY negating. To be honest, I'm kind of tired of people telling me that. I'm not a first time mama nor am I ignorant of the information out there. I don't believe that my baby isn't ready.........he's ready.......I know he is. I've had an actual very good pregnancy. Also, if by chance my due date is off, it's off by a couple weeks the OTHER way so it's possible I may be nearly 42 weeks right now. The baby *is* that big.

The more I think about it, the more I think there is something to the feelings I've been having that it's time for him to come out. I went waaaaaay over with my daughter and I actually LIKED it. It felt right, I was in no hurry......but with this, the more the pregnancy goes on, it *does not* feel right. Not that I feel unhealthy, but the pregnancy gets worse and worse by the day. The physical problems I've been having get worse. And to me thats signalling the end of the road. I'm a firm believer in trusting myself and my body and I trust right now that things are READY.

Also.........when I read over this or I read similar threads, It makes me wonder about what the priority of the mama is.......I mean, I read *other* threads about other issues that come up when the baby is here and there is lots of talk about doing whats best for the baby while still maintaining the sanity of the mother. And, you know? There just doesn't seem to be an interest in caring for the emotional welfare of the mama in times like this. Theres lots of trivial talk of "Oh go get a pedicure" (which I did anyways) or "Just be patient". And thats really really kind of insulting and dismissive.

Anyways.........I stopped taking the herbs because they make me sick. Which worries me because it's my midwives main course of inducing if I were to actually go to 42 weeks with this one. I do need to look into this further rather than people just dimissing what I'm asking as me being some simple minded impatient woman.

As of this week, I'm either due or over due. We were trying for this one and so I know just about exactly when I concieved. So I know this baby is due. I know my body has taken very good care of this one. The pregnancy has been hard but not that bad........until now. With the mental, physical, and emotional state I'm in right now, the thought of just "waiting" indefinitely, potentially two more weeks, not only seems dangerous to me but would probably send me into depression.

I know your intentions are good, but trust me to know me.
#23 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobsmami
i had the bug over the weekend...i'm 38.5 weeks. i got so dehydrated that i started having contrax. also from the diarrhea, i spose
at first i thought, yeah, labor, let's get this thing going! but then i figured, if it really is a bug, it'll stay for a few days and i will not be able to care for my baby, let alone go through labor and push it out. so i laid down for a couple of days, the contrax went away and the bug really stayed for a couple of days. now i'm over it and have energy for labor! gotta get the contrax starting again, but hey, i'm a few days shy of 39 weeks and sex is fun, right?
take it easy, mama, just ask yourself how much energy would you have right now to go through labor?! take a nap...
I gotta say, amen sister! I was doing a lot of walking yesterday and thought "How crazy is this! I'm going to wear myself out and not have the energy!!!!!!!!".

So, Back to just walking the doggie around the park twice a day for me.

And I WILL be taking a nap!!!!!!!! Yesterday my wonderful DH gave me a back rub to put me to sleep........aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.............
#24 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 03:26 PM

well, a big baby really isn't an indication of how far along you are. I mean it is but it isn't yk? I had three babies at 41 weeks. 8.5, 10.4 and 9.4. also, I think that life circumstances change so rapidly from pg with 1 to pg with subsequent. It is not necessarily an indication of overall pg health tht you really want that baby out. I remember how desperately I wanted #3 out!! i was sooo tired of being pregnant. I had a three week long early labor. crazy contrax all the time. actually had he midwife visit a couple of times cuz i was sure. But, when he came out, he came out nice and quick and healthy.
I do agree that emotional and mental health get tied into it, though. And that is a valid reason to push it along My friends midwife gave her castor oil. It got things going. Her midwife said sh has never seen castor oil fail in a second time mom. It can take up to 6 hours and sometimes they need a second dose, but it always starts labor. food(or drink) for thought
(hugs)
#25 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 03:42 PM

My sister also felt desperate to have her baby.... he was born extremely ill and lifeflighted with severe blood pressure issues.

Turned out she had a kidney infection and gall stones.... that was why she was so desperate to havethe baby... her pain had nothing to do with the baby....

I'm sorry if I offended you or hurt you, but I just am so anti-induction by any means after my awful induction (for eclampsia/HELLP)

And I'm not trying to hint that you're taking it lightly.... I just am quite traumatized by watching that birth (my nephew's) and seeing how a baby could be so unprepared for life.... despite being healthy in size..... so that's where I'm coming from...
#26 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 03:47 PM

anothermama- 42 weeks is considered term, not overdue. I know how it feels to go overdue but don't get too defensive about a suggestion telling you to stop with the inducing herbs. Induction herbs are not to be taken lightly, they are poisonous. If you are getting sick from them that is a great sign your body is saying the baby doesn't need them. I'd be a lot more inclined to want to know if your baby is in a position where its head isn't applied to your cervix. No one is attacking you, no one is judging you. I'm sure you're tired and sensitive and frustrated. WHen you take labor induing herbs, you deny the baby the chance to start labor with their own hormones. You create a hostile environment in the womb for the baby and you can cause complications of labor. I'm sure you know this and feel like you've weighed your options. Babies are smart and a lot of women go to 43 weeks or almost with all of their kids and they turn out fine. If you have a feeling pregnancy is over, or should be, have you midwives check the baby's position to make sure his/her head is applied to the cervix, go get your homebirth kit ready, take a long nap, and go to the acupunturist and see if s/he can't get labor started. Cohosh crosses the placenta, but acupuncture is not a drug. I know you're trying to do what's best for your family and you know best how to do that. Please just take the advice you get here asloving and friendly- the way it's intended.
#27 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 04:23 PM

Just wanted to say, hang in there.

My son was a 42 weeker. All 10.5 lbs and 24 inches of him. It was hard and uncomfortable, and really just plain awful, that last month, especially those 'extra' two weeks. He had been giving me really hard, long contractions from the first week of February, but just for kicks, he decided not to come out till the first week of March. And we tried everything, especially by week 42, with no luck. Stinker.

I feel your anxiousness and discomfort and am sending you lots of wishes for things to get going soon.

#28 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If the baby was ready, wouldn't it be here?

It's fine if anyone wants to flame me, but I don't believe in putting mother's emotional health before baby's physical health.

I am nearly 39 weeks and would like to be done NOW! But the baby is not ready. I'll try walking (since I'm supposed to be walking anyway) and sex (since it's what I'd be doing anyway, too!) but I told my mw's, nothing else. No 5W, no other herbs, etc. My first was born at 38 weeks. Doesn't mean this one is ready at 39 weeks.

I have NO signs that I will go anytime soon. No mucus. Never had a b/h contraction. Head is not engaged. Baby is still moving around a lot. Still gaining lots of weight. It's frustrating, but it's not up to me...I'm only second-in-command here. The baby is the true expert.
#29 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 04:58 PM

Quote:
It's fine if anyone wants to flame me, but I don't believe in putting mother's emotional health before baby's physical health.
you have a good point there, greaseball
#30 of 47 Old 05-20-2004, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
My sister also felt desperate to have her baby.... he was born extremely ill and lifeflighted with severe blood pressure issues.

Turned out she had a kidney infection and gall stones.... that was why she was so desperate to havethe baby... her pain had nothing to do with the baby....

I'm sorry if I offended you or hurt you, but I just am so anti-induction by any means after my awful induction (for eclampsia/HELLP)

And I'm not trying to hint that you're taking it lightly.... I just am quite traumatized by watching that birth (my nephew's) and seeing how a baby could be so unprepared for life.... despite being healthy in size..... so that's where I'm coming from...

no sweat.........like I said, I know your intention are good and I have totally been in your shoes for the past five years......very very anti induction.

I had a very nice visit w/ my midwives today and I feel a lot better actually. and I do appreciate your input.........

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page