"Preterm" vs. "Premature"-- Am I the only one who knows the difference?! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 120 Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
I've been trying to think how I want to respond to this thread (again) and I finally think I can try to say it and hopefully won't offend anyone. I keep reading these posts that make it sound as if the prematurity or illness of their baby is like a *contest*. It makes me sad to read that some people feel that it only really counts if your baby was in the NICU for a certain length of time, was very ill, was a certain gestational age, or weighed less than a certain amount.

We all know that there are babies who do great at 34 weeks, at 36 weeks. And babies who don't. There are amazing micropreemies who are born at 26 weeks and eventually come home happy and healthy. And babies born at full term that don't.

Every single mama who has a baby born with a problem feels like that problem is huge. To her, that is the worst experience of her life. Her one day in the NICU may seem insignificant if you've been there 3 weeks, or months, but it is still painful to her. I understand that it can't be compared to the experience of having a teeny tiny baby or a very ill baby that is hospitalized for months. But does it need to be compared? Can we not, as mothers, and especially as mothers who have suffered the prematurity of our own babes, not just support another mother going through a rough time without pointing fingers and saying, "she didn't have it as rough as I did"?

Even those babies that are near term can have problems with weight gain, jaundice, feeding, reflux, and other things that can be concerning. To the brand new mom struggling with breastfeeding while her baby's pediatrician warns about failure to thrive, these are big problems too. This is still a mom that needs to be helped and supported, not told that she isn't allowed to use the term premature to describe her baby because he wasn't early enough.

I understand the annoyance at people who have perfectly healthy full-term babies calling them preterm or premature or whatever because they think it sounds cute or something. But whatever. Eventually they will have a conversation with someone who will look at them in disbelief when they describe their 39 weeker as a "preemie" and maybe it will start to sink in.

I don't know, it is just getting to me how much this thread has dissolved into a mommy war over who is allowed to call her baby a preemie and who isn't. I know that there is a mom here who has a daughter that was born at 25 weeks and spent months in the hospital and she tells people on the NICU forum that any time in the NICU "counts." It is still a terrible experience for the parent, no matter how long it lasts.
Thank you! You said it much better than I could.

My son was born at 35 weeks 6 days and was "premature" enough to require to be taken from me immediately after birth and be transfered to the Children's Hospital 30 miles away. Yes, he was close to term and less ill than many of the babies on the unit, but the 5 days he spent in the NICU were the scariest of my life. It really saddened me to read this thread and be told that my feelings aren't valid and that I should gloss over the issues relating to my sons prematurity because there are other babies worse off than he was.
#92 of 120 Old 12-18-2008, 04:41 PM

I am a mother of a premature baby. He was born at 31 weeks and was on cpap. His lungs and breathing skills were not developed. He spent 2 MONTHS in the NICU. He also needed to learn how to eat, breath and swallow at the same time. I hear the stories of how everyones babies are premature. Sorry 37 weeks and home in a couple days is not premature that is preterm and there are little or no risks to the baby coming at that time. It is not a fun club to be in. All the dreams of bringing home baby and tender moments that most Moms get to have a stripped from you. It's hard to cuddle a baby who has tubes and wires coming out from every limb. Not to mention the 100 nurses and doctors around you 24/7. You don't have the private intamate moments that most Moms get.
#93 of 120 Old 12-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzchen View Post
Thank you! You said it much better than I could.

My son was born at 35 weeks 6 days and was "premature" enough to require to be taken from me immediately after birth and be transfered to the Children's Hospital 30 miles away. Yes, he was close to term and less ill than many of the babies on the unit, but the 5 days he spent in the NICU were the scariest of my life. It really saddened me to read this thread and be told that my feelings aren't valid and that I should gloss over the issues relating to my sons prematurity because there are other babies worse off than he was.
Your case is different. There was obviously something wrong with your little one to warrent a stay in the NICU. It's the comments from people who say my baby was born premature at 37 weeks but went home the next day. That is not premature that is preterm. 37 weeks is a very normal gestational age for a baby. Most babies born 37 weeks are perfectly healthy.
#94 of 120 Old 12-18-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone realized this thread is 3.5 YEARS old?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#95 of 120 Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post

When I received email notification that this thread had a reply, I was quite surprised!
#96 of 120 Old 12-18-2008, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Obviously you start threads that are meaningful to people and stand the test of time.
#97 of 120 Old 12-18-2008, 06:51 PM

If nobody had replied to this old thread, I would not have had the opportunity to consider the difference in the terms. Thank you to whoever revived it!

Frankly, I'd never considered the difference between the two terms. Obviously, I have a very different viewpoint now. I'm very detail-oriented, and differences like this are important.

My heart goes out to hear all these mamas being separated from their babies. Thankfully, I haven't had to experience this.

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#98 of 120 Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Obviously you start threads that are meaningful to people and stand the test of time.
Way to placate my inner dork!

#99 of 120 Old 12-20-2008, 07:49 PM

i had a baby at 37 weeks, at home, and never considered her preterm or premature. i always thought 37 weeks was considered in the realm of being full term (at least that is what i've heard from several midwives and docs). she never had any problems that required a NICU, although she was rather jaundice, and sleepy. we were able to take care of that at home, however.
#100 of 120 Old 12-21-2008, 02:21 PM

ok- well, someone clarify for me then please..

my adopted ds was 34 weeks.. his inner organs worked fine and was not put in nicu, but was kept at the hospital for 3 days rather than 2 (for "observation").. his skin was overly sensitive to fibers, diaper changes would make him scream, so if skin is an "outer" organ? then does that make him "premature"?

My other son was 36 weeks, and he was fine from go.. so preterm?

To be honest, I have NEVER heard anyone medical personnel or no, use the word "preterm"... but hey, open to new ideas..
#101 of 120 Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a place to find out:

Assessment of Gestational Age

#102 of 120 Old 12-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
ok- well, someone clarify for me then please..

my adopted ds was 34 weeks.. his inner organs worked fine and was not put in nicu, but was kept at the hospital for 3 days rather than 2 (for "observation").. his skin was overly sensitive to fibers, diaper changes would make him scream, so if skin is an "outer" organ? then does that make him "premature"?

My other son was 36 weeks, and he was fine from go.. so preterm?

To be honest, I have NEVER heard anyone medical personnel or no, use the word "preterm"... but hey, open to new ideas..
Yes, both were preterm. And my suspicion is that 34 weeks is too early to be born without being premature in some way(s) - while not all premature babies need NICU time much less help breathing etc., virtually all of them will be different in important ways (early on I'm talking, though not necessarily later) from babies born full term. Your son born at 34 wks. is a great example of this experience.
#103 of 120 Old 12-21-2008, 05:17 PM

I knew about this difference in meaning, but from the other end of things. My DD was born at 43+1 weeks, so she was post-dates or post-term, but NOT post-mature. The same way that it's possible for a 36 weeker to be pre-term but not premature.

I think one of the problems here is that everyone nowadays seems to consider 40 weeks as the ONLY time to have a baby. If you have a baby a week or two before that (even though it's considered 'term') then people talk about the baby coming early. And the pressure to 'get that baby out' starts at (or even before) 40 weeks, which is only about half-way through the 'term' period.

To me, the term 'premature' describes a baby, whatever their gestational age, who shows definite signs of not being fully developed, just as a post-mature baby is obviously 'over-cooked'. It is possible for a baby to be born 'at term' i.e. between 38-42 weeks and still be premature, or to be postmature. Though obviously the majority of premature babies are pre-term and the majority of postmature babies are post-term. However, I'd like to bet that if I'd had to have a C-section at 38 weeks, as seems to be the standard, my baby would have been premature, in that she would have had some definite signs of not being fully developed, since at 38 weeks she would have been taken out over 5 weeks before she was 'supposed' to be born.

Even with the wide range of 'term' there is an even wider range of normal for some people. Although the vast majority of babies are born between 38-42 weeks my baby was not one of them. But the reason she wasn't was not due to any specific problem - simply that longer was normal in that particular instance for her and for me.

Something which really bothers me is the rather cavalier attitude towards prematurity and its attendant problems which many medical professionals seem to have. As someone mentioned previously, they will not do anything to stop labour at 36 weeks (which, depending on which guidelines you use, is either a week or 2 weeks pre-term, from the earliest out-lying edge of 'term' ). However, on the other end of things, those same doctors will start pressuring a woman to accept induction shortly after 40 weeks and will usually never 'let' her get beyond 41 weeks, when she still has a week to be within the range of 'term'. So, 'term' is only loosely defined at the earlier end of things and 'no big deal' if it's out by a couple of weeks, but at the later end fewer and fewer women are actually being 'allowed' to finish out their pregnancies. It doesn't make sense to me..

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#104 of 120 Old 12-21-2008, 08:50 PM

Chalk me up as another one who didn't know the difference but appreciated the knowledge. Thanks.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#105 of 120 Old 12-21-2008, 08:59 PM

Well, here, the definition of a premature baby is a baby born before 37+0 weeks.
No matter if they are healthy or not, they are preemies.
So it depends where you are from I guess.
Because of that preterm is only those born between 37+0 and 40+1 weeks.
40+2 is term.
Postterm is after 40+2 weeks.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#106 of 120 Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liss_420 View Post
i had a baby at 37 weeks, at home, and never considered her preterm or premature. i always thought 37 weeks was considered in the realm of being full term (at least that is what i've heard from several midwives and docs). she never had any problems that required a NICU, although she was rather jaundice, and sleepy. we were able to take care of that at home, however.

I just had my second dd at 37 weeks and I also don't consider her preterm or premature. She was on the small side and most likely if things hadn't had gone down hill with my pregnancy she would have not been born for a couple more weeks, but she didn't have any problems that needed the NICU. She was and still is rather sleeply, but that is about it.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#107 of 120 Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
Well, here, the definition of a premature baby is a baby born before 37+0 weeks.
No matter if they are healthy or not, they are preemies.
So it depends where you are from I guess.
Because of that preterm is only those born between 37+0 and 40+1 weeks.
40+2 is term.
Postterm is after 40+2 weeks.
With respect, it doesn't really matter "where you're from." What matters is human biology, which is pretty consistent from one place to the next, lol. A preterm baby is <37 weeks (some argue more like 38) but whether or not it is medically premature depends on how developed the baby is.

And I'm cracking up at the definition of preterm vs. postterm. Looks like you gotta hit your date head on otherwise your baby where you are is defined as preterm OR postterm. You said < 40+2 is preterm and more than 40+2 is postterm. Huh???

In fact, I'd bet there's not a NICU or an OB in the world who actually thinks THIS rigidly - all jokes and cliches about them notwithstanding.
#108 of 120 Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My first baby was definitely premature (29w4d), but second baby was 36w6d, born out of hospital, and I consider him full term, even though he was technically one day shy of it. Close enough for me.

He *did* have some preemie tendencies... extra sleepiness, jaundice, nursing issues... but he was average newborn size of 7 lbs 4 oz, had perfect APGARs, was very healthy from the get-go. I'd rather him have cooked an extra week, but he just had others ideas.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#109 of 120 Old 12-22-2008, 12:45 AM

I suppose my DD was both. Born at 36 weeks at a normal weight, but had severe lung issues (and still does). My DD has many more issues than a friends child who was born at 29 weeks. So, although her child was born much earlier than my DD, my DD has had many more health issues and has spent more time in the hospital due to being born early.

The 29 weeker spent 3 weeks total in the NICU, to basically grow. He has shown absolutely no signs of being premature, and now at 2 his mom said he is in the 95th percentile for both height and weight (for his birth age, not adjusted!). DD on the other hand is still struggling and has permanent damage from her lungs being so underdeveloped.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#110 of 120 Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 AM

I'm glad I came across this thread. Perhaps I can have dh read it when he makes another comment about ds being "premature" because I had a c-section at 37w6d.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#111 of 120 Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaE View Post
Well, my baby girl was post-term (if that's a word!) That said, I honestly did not know the distinction between premature and preterm, and I consider myself to be pretty well-educated/well-read (even neurotic!) about all things pregnancy, baby, toddler... I am willing to bet many others also don't know the real distinction - perhaps?
yeah, that. honestly... I never really thought about it. but you're completely right - that is a very important difference! I understand the difference of course, but i probably would have used the same word and noted that the baby was sick or not sick etc... (of course I don't consider 37 weeks preterm exactly... but that's a whole other topic heh)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#112 of 120 Old 12-22-2008, 11:11 AM

I think one of the problems with not distinguishing pre "term" from pre "mature" is when a baby is born at term, but isn't actually ready to be born. Then the parents fight with the NICU stay and all the problems of prematurity, but when they share that the baby was born at 40 weeks, they get no sympathy.

Speaking as someone with a baby who was both postterm and had signs of postmaturity.
#113 of 120 Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 AM

My little boy was considered premature. After all, he was a complete surprise when he came at 33 weeks 6 days. He he perfect APGARs, passed his hearing tests early, and everything was fine other than being small. The only way you could really tell he was a preemie was the lack of body fat, still extremely "hairy," and his size. He was born on a Monday and out on Wednesday (normal at that hospital for a full term baby). He did have jaundice, which even full term babies can have, and at least one if not a few more episodes with sleep apnea. Other than that, he was perfectly fine. He's now around the 50th percentile or a little more for his age (4 months).

I just count us as really lucky. Part of me does wonder, however, if the docs just didn't get my due date right.

Married to DH since February 2005, mother of selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifDS (8/18/2008) and DD in (4/2/2011)!  lactivist.gif familybed2.gif  Expecting stork-suprise.gif February 2013!

#114 of 120 Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I think one of the problems with not distinguishing pre "term" from pre "mature" is when a baby is born at term, but isn't actually ready to be born. Then the parents fight with the NICU stay and all the problems of prematurity, but when they share that the baby was born at 40 weeks, they get no sympathy.
I know I mentioned it upthread because it's a pet peeve of mine, but given that it's more than three years old I suppose it's easy to have missed. This is all the more reason for distinguishing between "term" and "maturity." Not all babies born at 34 weeks will be premature (most will, but not all), but they are all preterm. Not all babies born at 40 weeks will be mature (most will, but not all); They're term, but premature. In most of those cases, gestational age is adjusted after birth to reflect the prematurity.

#115 of 120 Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitryn View Post
My little boy was considered premature. After all, he was a complete surprise when he came at 33 weeks 6 days. He he perfect APGARs, passed his hearing tests early, and everything was fine other than being small. The only way you could really tell he was a preemie was the lack of body fat, still extremely "hairy," and his size. He was born on a Monday and out on Wednesday (normal at that hospital for a full term baby). He did have jaundice, which even full term babies can have, and at least one if not a few more episodes with sleep apnea. Other than that, he was perfectly fine. He's now around the 50th percentile or a little more for his age (4 months).

I just count us as really lucky. Part of me does wonder, however, if the docs just didn't get my due date right.
Wow. I'm amazed they let him go after just 2 days. It's wild what differences there are around the country. From your description, he definitely sounds premature and the apnea can be really scary though thank God wasn't in his case. Developmentally, is he tracking on time? Smile at 3 weeks, roll over at 6 weeks or whatever (it's funny how quickly you forget those timeframes when you don't have babies in the house anymore!). I think it's helpful to be aware of corrected age especially for things like introducing solids and expectations on sleeping, to name a couple.
#116 of 120 Old 12-23-2008, 01:12 AM

Before this thread, I had never heard the term "preterm". I never brought up that DD was not term, but when people asked about her size, I said she was a month early. DD was born at 35+5, she was 5#12, very little, hardly any body fat, etc. She was very sleepy, and we had a really hard time waking her up to eat. She never did really learn to latch on, and lost almost a pound, not making it back to her birth weight until 2.5 months old. My OB said she was premature, but she never spent any time in NICU. She was so little, her thigh was probably only twice the size of my thumb. "Preemie" clothes were way too big on her. I don't know if she would qualify as "premature" or "preterm" or what, but even if she *did* fit either/both of those terms, I don't think of having a premature baby as something to *strive* for, or a club that I would *want* to be in. Whether or not she, at birth, could have been described as premature or preterm, I would *much* rather her have had the amount of time *she* needed, be it a few more days, a few more weeks, or even a month.

JMO just because a baby stays in the NICU doesn't make them a premature baby, and just because they don't, doesn't mean they aren't. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's fair for one to say "My baby was in the NICU, so I have a preemie, but your baby didn't, so you don't/didn't." (I may be wrong, as I'm not a professional, but that's just my opinion and understanding.)

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#117 of 120 Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM

I have not read all through this thread, but I do think that preterm is a realitivly new term, whereas all babies born before their edd were consisdered premature. KWIM I first heard of The Preterm Infant at a CE that I took in 2007. I had not heard of it before then.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#118 of 120 Old 12-23-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
I have not read all through this thread, but I do think that preterm is a realitivly new term, whereas all babies born before their edd were consisdered premature. KWIM I first heard of The Preterm Infant at a CE that I took in 2007. I had not heard of it before then.
I started this thread in 2004. The term had been around for some time *then*.

#119 of 120 Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Wow. I'm amazed they let him go after just 2 days. It's wild what differences there are around the country. From your description, he definitely sounds premature and the apnea can be really scary though thank God wasn't in his case. Developmentally, is he tracking on time? Smile at 3 weeks, roll over at 6 weeks or whatever (it's funny how quickly you forget those timeframes when you don't have babies in the house anymore!). I think it's helpful to be aware of corrected age especially for things like introducing solids and expectations on sleeping, to name a couple.
He has done everything as if he were born at 40 weeks. In fact, his first smile came soon after he was born. He rolled from tummy to back for the first time at 3 months. He coos and has just recently become interested in toys. He held his head up on time. He advanced to supported sitter sometime during his second month. I actually haven't had to apply the additional 6 weeks gestation to any of his milestones. His pediatrician doesn't do that anymore, either. The only person who does that is the nutritionist at the WIC office when she takes his weight and length. (Strangely, he's big for 2.5 month old but middle of the road for a 4 month old... and he is a 4 month old.) My mom said I was the same way, as was she, when we came 6 weeks early, too.

Married to DH since February 2005, mother of selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifDS (8/18/2008) and DD in (4/2/2011)!  lactivist.gif familybed2.gif  Expecting stork-suprise.gif February 2013!

#120 of 120 Old 12-24-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
it is like people are so enraptured with preemies an they go around wearing it like a badge of honor when there babies were only a week or two early and use thier adjusted age . . . it is weird for me. Itis like they think it makes thier baby extra special and dpecial in all the ways each baby is special just isn't good enough. They want them to be in the preemie club. If they only knew how much that club sucked to belong to.
Exactly. I know people in their twenties who still want to talk about how they were premies..... Their parents obviously made it into a huge deal and part of their lives. I never want DD1 to be like that, premie sucks, NICU sucks, and anyone that knows that wants to put it as far behind them as possible. I don't really want her to know what her birth was attached to, I'm sure she'll ask one day but I don't want it to scare her, she'll probably never want to have kids.

my SIL's DS2 was term but premie, she didn't think anything of it when he went to NICU cause he was big and looked mostly healthy. Then a nurse pulled her aside and told her he was the sickest baby in the lot and this was very serious. If I remember right it was his lungs, but that was before I joined the family so I could have the story wrong.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page