Pregnant with a Fibroid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-15-2004, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my very best friend just found out she's pregnant and has a fibroid. I'm sure she's scared, and confused, and really has no idea what to expect or where to start. She has a very loving husband, and they are very siked about being prego, but what about the fibroid? I read that it is common for women to have normal, full term pregnancies with fibroid as long as they aren't massive, but I want to help her understand what she should expect from this situation. Is there really any reason to be concerned at all? Is she going to encounter horrible doctor after another telling her c-section will be her only choice? Will she be able to find a midwife that will support her? I want so very much to tell her that she has nothing to worry about...and sometimes think that maybe if she truely believes that, then it will be true, but what is she facing...really?
#2 of 8 Old 05-15-2004, 05:35 AM

Definitely read the section on fibroids in Dr. Christiane Northrup's book Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. It gives TONS of info about fibroids (the different types, the complications. natural ways to treat them, a synopsis of all ways to treat them) I can't remember exactly, but I believe Dr. Northrup discusses pregnancy with fibroids briefly and says most fibroids do not show contraindications of vaginal birth or preterm labor. She also has a website at www.drnorthrup.com which might help as a secondary source of info.

From what I recall (and this is just a lay person's opinion), depending on the size of the fibroid and the type (in the muscle wall, penducular and hanging into the center of the uterus or near the cervix, etc.) she should expect a normal pregnancy and birthing. I believe the hormones of pregnancy will make the fibroid at least remain the same size if not shrink. Consult Dr. Northrup's book for more info about this.

warmly,
claudia
#3 of 8 Old 05-15-2004, 09:15 AM

This is my 2nd pregnancy with a small fibroid.

If my midwife hadn't told me about it during my last pregnancy (it was found on the ultrasound), I wouldn't know about it now.

I don't remember what the size of it was last time - but this time it was measured to be 1.5cm. I don't know the location or type.

I had a completely natural midwife-assisted birth with my first, and am happily, confidently planning another - a home-birth this time !

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#4 of 8 Old 05-16-2004, 12:33 PM

As one doctor told me, I am positively voluptuous with fibroids. : And during my pregnancy with DS#1, the largest grew to be the size of a medium-sized melon. Yes, I looked like I was having quadruplets. Yes, I was very uncomfortable. And yes, DS#1 came out just fine and hale and hearty, thank you very much.

After delivery, the fibroid shrinks again (that one is described now as the size of a small plum). And just stays there and does nothing at all.

Should point out that I've had two more children since ... and in their pregnancies that particular fibroid did not grow again. Also, have had several miscarriages, and the doctors have said that the fibroids could have played a part in them. No way to know, really.

Now for the particularly unpleasant part ...

When pg w/DS#1, one of the fibroids degenerated ... which was explained to me this way: Body sends blood supply to the uterus, which keeps both fibroid and baby growing. Body sees, hmmm, limited blood supply, should it go to baby or fibroid? baby or fibroid? baby or fibroid? finally decides () to send blood supply to baby, as finally noticing that the fibroid doesn't really belong. So then fibroid begins to die, as it were, from lack of blood flow. Which causes something akin to an internal gangrene type of thing.

When that happened, the pain was absolutely horrible, just this terrible cramping pain. I was put on bedrest for two months. Which was also awful. And then the pain was gone. And the pregnancy continued, and the baby was fine. And the fibroid bothered me no more.

Should also add that that same OB was insisting that the fibroids be surgically removed after the baby was born, and wanted to schedule surgery for it after the 6wk postpartum appointment. Well, we had a horrible birth experience with him, so switched to a new OB ... who shook his head and rolled his eyes and said DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT have surgery to remove fibroids unless you are absolutely sure you do not want any more children.

We were very happy to have switched to the new OB, and we have had two more children since.

And one more due any day now.

And the fibroids are still there, but are keeping their little traps shut, IYKWIM.

Tell your friend not to worry about them.

#5 of 8 Old 05-16-2004, 02:56 PM

Ok, I'm curious, why not have them removed unless you don't want future children? I ask this because I had a fibroid in my last pregnancy. It caused me to go into preterm labor and I had my ds 8 weeks early. When my OB reached in to make sure my uterus was back in place he pulled out a goose egg sized thing. It went to the lab to be analyzed and came back as a fibroid.
#6 of 8 Old 05-16-2004, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom is wonderful!!! And that is were I read that it's normal to go full term with a fibroid...but how much more wonderful to hear a first-hand account of a normal preg - thanks merpk and lizabear! I'll refer my friend to this conversation and she can see for herself. Sure would like to hear more stories of what really to expect.
And wende - W.B.W.W. I think sites scar tissue from the surgery as the major preventer of conception after fibroid removal. If I remember correctly - the egg cannot implant in said scar tissue.
#7 of 8 Old 05-17-2004, 01:58 AM

wende, in re why not to have the surgery, the question is how is the fibroid in there. Some are akin to apples, hanging from a stalk, IYKWIM. Sounds like yours was like that, that it was able to be "popped" off your uterine wall. Others, however (like mine) are embedded in the uterus, and removing them is akin to slicing off a chunk of uterus.

#8 of 8 Old 05-17-2004, 02:09 AM

Ahh, thank you! I was freaking out thinking that I may not be able to have more children. I'm glad this thread appeared. I was just thinking the other day about this and about how I'd like to have more children and wondered if it would interfere with me having a homebirth with a midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page