Hypno-brithing? Anyone experienced it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-16-2004, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who taught it (midwife, doula, childbrith educator, hypnothereapist)?
Was it advertised as reducing pain or pain free?
Did it work "as advertised"?
What was the "brand name"?
How did it compare to any non-hypno births you've had, if any?
General story of the experience?

I am looking into taking a hypno-birth instructor course and want to know people's experiences. THanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-16-2004, 01:42 PM

Master hypnotherapist of 18 years. She was "new" at teaching HypnoBirthing (2 years?) She is so great! She also teaches the course to people who want to become certified in the Southern California/Nevada area.

I did start out with a Doula trying to "teach" it to me. She was awful! First, she wasn't really teaching me the course... she recorded her own tapes (Marie Mongan's HypnoBirthing tapes using her voice) on a LOUSY copy and we tried to practice at home. I felt lost. Then I found a REAL local course and when I told my instructor what this newly certified HypnoBirthing practioner (but great, talented expensive Los Angeles Doula) was doing, she was horrified. I decided to fire this doula (she wanted to video tape my labor and I KNEW she would use the tape and tell clients I was HER HypnoBirthing client - which is fudging the truth.) I was one of her first 10 HypnoBirthing moms, so I wasn't being charged for this extra "practice."

Both. "Eliminates or greatly reduces the need for chemical pain killers."

Did for me. I was determined... so I practiced every day one month before my due date. Taking the class really helped me. The course book is pretty flimsy and not enough info. But my instructor (who had clients driving 2 hours to see her) had LOTS of positive, real life, stories, so that really helped to boost my confidence.

HypnoBirthing, the course created by Marie Mongan
http://www.hypnobirthing.com/

It was my first birth. Though the first contractions did hurt a lot (caught me by surprise) and I had to take a few minutes to search my brain for what to do. I was tensing up from head to toe... so I consciously untensed every muscle in my body (but remained upright, just relaxed) and the pain stopped!

Labor started around midnight. DH knew it was for real because I kept stopping in tracks and focusing intensely/relaxing through surges. Hospital labor 18 hours, totally painfree.

During transition (9cm or so) I was brushing my teeth. Whenever I felt the surges come back on, I relaxed over the sink, breathed deeply through it and waited for it to pass, then resumed brushing my teeth.

Last two hours on PITOCIN (to get contractions started again and avoid Csec). Low drip, didn't hurt a bit. Too tired to sit up to squat. Purple pushing (couldn't get my mind around the "breathing down the baby" part.) Bad tear.

You can read my birth story on this thread
Tell me more about HypnoBirthing That thread also shares stories of experiences with "newbie" (doulas, RNs, etc...) practioners. Personally, I'm glad I took it with a Master Hypnotist (I explain why in that thread.)

Do a search for HypnoBirthing... you may find other stories.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#3 of 11 Old 05-16-2004, 05:40 PM

Who taught it: hypnotherapist/CB educator

Was it advertised as reducing pain or pain free? same as PP

Did it work "as advertised"? No, but it was fine--see birth story, below
What was the "brand name"? same as PP

How did it compare to any non-hypno births you've had, if any? see birth story

(I copied this story from teh thread that the PP linked for you)

I’d had a really disappointing labor with my first baby (induction, long labor, lots of interventions) and never really got over it. We decided to give HB a try, and it really did work for me. I still had fears up until I went into labor and had lingering doubts that I’d be able to do it the way I wanted. Still, all the practice and reading MUST have kicked in somehow, because I had a perfect birth experience that I can honestly say did not involve pain. Intensity, oh yes, but never pain. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t experienced it myself, but it happened! I am the biggest wimp you’d ever want to meet, and was still in the back of my mind expecting to end up at the hospital with all manner of pain killer, but . . .

My due date (March 3) came and went with no sign of labor. As much as I tried to remain positive, I thought I was headed down the induction road again. On March 4, I decided to give up worrying—what would happen would happen and I couldn’t do a whole lot about it. I was feeling a lot of pressure down low, but had been all during the last trimester.

That evening, the baby was moving a lot, constantly, actually, and much more strongly than I’d felt recently. At bedtime, 9-10 p.m., I noticed the pressure was still there, but didn’t really think a thing about it. In retrospect, I now believe I was in early labor, but it didn’t register with me because I was expecting it to feel more painful.

I awoke a little after 3 a.m. on March 5. The pressure had intensified, but I had no thought whatsoever that this was IT—that labor had started. In my mild state of confusion (or just plain tiredness), I sent DH downstairs to sleep on the couch, as I likened my situation to having a stomachache and thought I’d be disturbing him. I drifted in and out of sleep and by 3:30, I came to the conclusion that I needed to get into a warm tub. By about 3:45, I banged on the floor for DH to come up. I still maintained that I was not in labor—I was having waves of intense pressure, but only low—not at all in my back or abdomen as I had anticipated.

Anything rhythmic (chanting, singing, waving) during the contractions helped me get through them. This is the part that is hard to explain: so long as I “sounded out”, I got through them just fine. I wasn’t really hurting, just feeling like I was in an altered state—my body had taken control from me and I was just along for the ride. It was all a little bit surreal. At about 5 a.m., he called The Birth Center. They called back and forth a few times, and decided we’d better come in. I was starting to feel a little surer that this was, indeed, labor. I wasn’t fearful, but very serious and, I don’t know how else to describe it, but very focused in on what was happening to my body.

I remember thinking that if I were to lie down on the bed, I could push the baby out right there. I was annoyed that I had to get in the car and go somewhere else. I got in the car at about 6:15, and everything seemed much better, I felt OK sitting up. There was a lot of traffic and I started to get a little nervous as I recognized the urge to push. I had fleeting thoughts that the baby would come in the car. I remember looking at the guy in the lane next to us, thinking “if he only knew . . .”. Contractions were coming about every 2 minutes. We pulled into The Birth Center at about 6:45, and I was so relieved. I got in the door and had a contraction right away. MW said I was 9 cm and I was so glad. My water broke right away, and I realized that I hadn’t even thought about it until that point. I felt a lot of relief after it broke—the pressure was far less.

I got into the room and onto the bed and again felt the urge to push pretty much right away. I remember feeling so good between contractions—completely normal and clear-headed. The midwives were all encouraging me and just let me do my thing. When I lost focus, they redirected me and guided me back. I NEVER once remember thinking “I wish I had drugs” or “ wish I was at the hospital”. I was just going along with it all. I do remember saying, “I want it out!” but not in a panicked way, just that my body was ready! I eventually got up at the head of the bed, turned on my back, and immediately felt the baby was coming. After not even 20 minutes of pushing, I gave one more push and out came the head—a few more and my huge baby boy was born at 7:28 a.m.—not even 4-1/2 hours from when I felt that very first twinge!

The best part of the whole story was that I got to hold Denny right away! Denny was on me instantly and I loved it. I was completely ecstatic. It was only after I delivered that I realized that we’d done it all without tubes, needles, monitors, or drugs of any kind—not even a Tylenol, and that it was 100 times easier than my epidural birth with Colin! It was so amazing, and I was more proud of myself than I’d ever been in my whole life. I thought about all the people in the past 9 months who thought I was crazy and that I wouldn’t be able to do it. I couldn’t wait to tell them all about it! At that minute, I wanted to have a million babies. I understood what it was all about in a way that I never did with Colin’s birth—as joyous as that was for me, too. This birth was everything I could have hoped for.

I was so high that I didn’t “come down” for days—kept reliving it over and over in my mind.

While I didn’t resemble the silent ladies in the HB films, I can definitely see where the course helped me—letting go and letting my body take over. The story about the woman who gave birth while in a coma really impacted me. Your body KNOWS what to do. Now, maybe HB isn’t for everyone, but it sure worked for me—I needed the structure of a class and teacher. The concepts were all new to me and I needed to hear others speak them.

Other advice: Stay away from the birth shows on TLC and Discovery—don’t let other people poison your mind with birth horror stories. Only listen to positive ones!

Good luck. If you have any questions, I’d be happy to help,

Donna
#4 of 11 Old 05-16-2004, 06:38 PM

I did the Hypnobabies home study course starting at 7 months preggo. It includes a workbook and 6 CD's that you listen to everyday, with each week broken up into a class.

It does advertise as reducing or eliminating pain sensations and only feeling pressure.

This was my second birth and though it wasn't pain free I did feel more in control this time, with no fear or apprehension about the birth. It was a homebirth that ended up being unassisted because it was so fast, but I was soo calm about the whole thing, telling my dh and mom where the birth supplies were and what to do as the head was crowning. This I totally attribute to the hypnobabies, I think I would have been freaking out about the midwives not being there otherwise. But I was just so positive going into it that I knew everything was going to fine.

My first birth was an 11 hour all natural, no complications hospital birth, but I was pretty terrified going into it and it definitely hurt like hell. I knew the pain wasn't going to kill me and there was no way I was taking drugs so I just gritted my teeth and let my body do it's thing.
My second birth with the Hypnobabies was incredibly intense and still painful, but only 2 hours long from first painful contraction to delivery. I think that I was actually in transition when I started feeling the contractions and the whole first stage of labor which I thought was just some braxton hicks, was painfree.

I really like the program and would recommend it because listening to the CD's was so relaxing to me and helped me connect with this baby very deeply during the pregnancy. It was great to take an hour out of every day to really focus on my pregnancy and the baby and reassure myself that everything about the birth would be normal and healthy.
#5 of 11 Old 05-20-2004, 12:10 PM

Yep!

I did, and I had an eclampsia/HELLP indicated induction.

I was hooked up to more pit than any human ever should be and I still managed to sleep for awhile!!!

I went 36 hours of induction without the epidural, and finally was talked into the epidural because I was still at 3-4 cm.... and they were saying get an epidural or get a c/s.... and anyway, 12 hours after that I had a c/s at 4cm... induction didn't work so well for me... of course my body wasn't ready but stupid eclampsia waits for no man.

Hypnobirthing rocked. It really let me focus and relax... I recommend it to all
#6 of 11 Old 05-20-2004, 05:29 PM

Who taught it (midwife, doula, childbrith educator, hypnothereapist)? I took the course in a group seminar over a weekend.

Was it advertised as reducing pain or pain free? I don't recall.

Did it work "as advertised"? Well...not really. I was never able to really "let go" in the practice sessions.

What was the "brand name"? Hypnobirthing.

How did it compare to any non-hypno births you've had, if any? N/A

General story of the experience? I think the instructors we had were not that great. They were hypnotherapists, a husband/wife team, but even though they had been doing this seminar for several years (according to them) they were disorganized and presented information rather haphazardly. I was very curious about their experience attending a hypnobirth and was surprised and quite disappointed to learn neither one of them ever had. They showed the hypnobirthing videos and led us through some practice sessions but did not offer guidance on when one would use the different scripts or what to expect in labor. It was like, "Here's your scripts and CDs, see ya!"

Add to that the fact that we were under a lot of stress, moved houses when I was 36 weeks and my labor started a bit earlier than expected just a week later, I didn't even know where the stupid CDs were and so I was not able to listen to them at the birth center.

I actually ended up using a relaxation technique I had learned from a traditional therapist years earlier to get through most of labor, but I eventually asked for some relief and got a shot of fentanyl. Now THAT worked, although next time I'm hoping things will progress faster and I'll be able to hold out.
#7 of 11 Old 05-20-2004, 06:51 PM

It was taught by a certified hypnotherapist who had been teaching hypnobirthing in particular for 4 years.

Was it advertised as reducing pain or pain free? Reducing pain, yes.

Did it work "as advertised"? In a manner of speaking. I stopped thinking about the pain and focused on having a baby.

What was the "brand name"? Hypnobirthing

How did it compare to any non-hypno births you've had, if any? First unmedicated birth, fast and relatively easy.

I didn't use hypnobirthing until the end. When the baby was crowning I started freaking out and didn't want to relax. My dh turned on the music I had practiced my hypnobirthing to and immediately I calmed down and stayed calm. I found Marie Mongnan's voice annoying so after taking the class and listening to the tapes a few times I began practicing to a CD the instructor had made. The key is practice, practice, practice. If you practice enough I think you could have good results no matter which course or instructor. Having a good instructor helped so that I knew what real relaxation felt like.
#8 of 11 Old 05-20-2004, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
nak

Hypnotherapist and HB instructor. She also attended our birth. http://www.sjhypnobirth.com/ Her website.

I think both. I don't really recall. Certainly, there are some women who do not experience pain during labor ("coma lady" on the video).

I think so. I didn't really expect to not feel any pain.

HypnoBirthing

It was awesome compared to my first birth. While I was playing hangman at 7 cm with my HB instructor, I noticed her looking at the contractions monitor (I had a vbac, so I had to be continuously monitored.), so I looked at it. The number was going up over 150. I said, "I feel that, but I don't think it's that strong. I think the machine isn't working properly." She laughed. I still think it wasn't working.

It was great, and I was totally able to relax up until about 9 cm. I did feel pain, but it was quite tolerable, unlike the first time. Like I said, I was able to play hangman. (I was bored.) The nurse was impressed. At 9 cm, the contractions started coming right on top of each other and kicked my a$$. It lasted 13 hours less than my first birth.
#9 of 11 Old 05-20-2004, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk4two
I found Marie Mongnan's voice annoying

Oh

My

God

I had forgotten that. Wasn't it the worst? I mean, I feel bad saying that, 'cause obviously this was her thing and all, but don't you think she could have hired an actor to do the tapes???
#10 of 11 Old 05-20-2004, 10:59 PM

That's how I felt when I first heard "Rainbow Relaxation." Arrrgggghhhh. OMG I have to listen to this for 20 minutes! Every day????

But after a short while, I grew to love her voice. Weird!!!! I listen to it before bed now and it seriously help me to get a GREAT nights sleep! I sleep deeply and soundly now. (I force myself to stay awake during the tape. I don't fall asleep through it.)

And honestly, have you heard other tapes??? Mongan's is pretty dang good compared to others like:

Worse offender: New Way Childbirth I made the mistake or ordering each trimester (hoping it would help me really BOND with my baby in utero) and her voice was AWFUL. This really fake, up and down lilting every 10 seconds.

Journeying Through Pregnancy and Birth was slightly better (no annoying fake lilt) but she sounded to "flat" and serious for me. I gave up on it.

Wakeupmama What a horrible experience with your "instructors." I would write a detailed letter of complaint to Marie Mongan - if they were using her course.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#11 of 11 Old 05-21-2004, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently ordered the Rainbow Relaxation CD/book, and Marie Mongan is no longer on the CD. It's now a guy named Aaron Aldrich or something.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page