Looking for articles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are seeing a CNM and planning a homebirth for this baby. His parents think we are nuts, and nothing we say will change their mind. Good thing we just don't care what they think

My parents (who live close by and will be here) are supportive, but have a few questions and are very willing to read up on it and do the research like Ben and I have.

Problem is I seem to have accidentally deleated my home birth file on the computer and can't find the articles I have saved.

My dad works with Dr's day in and day out, and I would like to find him some good scientific and very legitimate stuff to read.

I had one wonderful study that compared 2 groups of women, with the same type of histories, risk factors etc and compared their outcomes at home vs at the hospital. It was a great piece and I don't remember where it came from.

If you have links to great articles, could you please post them.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 05:27 PM

www.gentlebirth.org and www.midwiferytoday.com would be a good starting place.
and there's a study on homebirth safety at The Farm... http://www.thefarm.org/charities/mid.html

ultimitely, it isn't your job to educate them. And if they already have their minds made up on the issue, it won't make any difference how many well-researched articles they read.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:13 AM

The study you're talking about sounds like the Lewis Mehl study. I don't have a link to it, don't even know if it's online, but I do know it was published in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine, Vol. 19, No. 5, November 1977, p. 281-290. If you go here http://home.earthlink.net/~eaglefalc...resources.html and scroll down, you'll see a couple of links to lists of homebirth studies. HTH!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:25 AM

Yes, it does sound like Mehl---Olson is a matched-pair study, too, I believe.

the BMJ is reputable:

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/archive/7068pr4.htm

I agree though that once a mind is made up, all the literature in the world isn't going to change anything. Sounds like y'all have a great attitude about it!

A great book I like to recommend is The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth---if your parents are looking for some extra summer reading . It's not specifically about homebirth, but after reading it, how can you not realize where and with whom a birthing mama is better off?

All the best!!!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

User Tag List