Mothering Forum banner

Pitocin

667 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Birch12 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me when pitocin is used during labor? Also, do I have a choice whether or not it is used?

Thanks.

#2 ·
There are three basic uses for pitocin:

1. It can be used to induce labor, to cause contractions when it's been determined that it's safer for delivery to happen soon than it is to wait for labor to happen on it's own.
2. It can be used to augment labor, to increase the strength and frequency of contractions and make labor progress faster.
3. It is commonly administered after the birth of the baby, to assist in delivery of the placenta and reduce the incidence and severity of post-partum hemorrhage.

Pitocin is not mandatory in any labor - they are supposed to get your consent to use it (barring life-threatening emergency). It can be helpful in some circumstances.

While I was in labor with my first child, I had a resident removed from my case because he suggested pitocin just, y'know, cuz. Labor was progressing fine, the baby was tolerating contractions well, I was comfortably situated with an epidural, there was absolutely no reason to do it. (The nurses weren't amused by that guy either.) Later that day, though, I hemorrhaged post-partum and pitocin was part of the various attempts to stop the bleeding, which was fine.

#3 ·
In most hospitals it is the norm to manage labor through the use of pit. I showed up at the hospital with baby crowning and they were still insisting that I get an IV hooked up so they could administer pitocin. Thankfully my DH advocated for my wish for a natural birth (besides the fact that pit at that point was completely pointless as baby was practically out). I did consent to pure to control bleeding after baby was born, but that was given via a shot so no IV.

You can absolutely decline any procedure in the hospital but I highly recommend that you have a support person with you who knows what you want and is willing to fight for you. While in labor it's very easy to to be swayed by hospital staff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.