Tail bone pain..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-22-2004, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was aboput 20 weeks pg I started getting really odd tailbone pain. It felt like it was being ripped out of my body. It progressively got worse to where it hurt to sit. My chiro said it was from babies position and pressure and that it would go away PP.

Well, here I am 16 weeks pp and it is back! It came back about 2 weeks ago. When I sit for any period of time and then stand it hurts like heck!!!

Any ideas on how to make it go away???

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-22-2004, 12:06 PM

I don't have any advice on how to get rid of it but I remember that pain all to well. Maybe you can get one of those seats where the tail bone area is cut out, so it doesn't have pressure on it when you are sitting. I hope you find relief soon
#3 of 9 Old 05-22-2004, 01:26 PM

I had the same thing with DD through most of my pregnancy, and I still get it now occasionally. Usually I just wait for it to pass, but if yours is severe, I'd make an appointment with the chiro to see if there's anything that he can do.
#4 of 9 Old 05-22-2004, 02:15 PM

If your chiropractor isn't helping, maybe you should try a different one. Hope you feel better soon!
#5 of 9 Old 05-22-2004, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I see the chiro 3x a week (I'm a mess ) and he has done about all he can. I guess it'll jsut take time...but what a pain!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#6 of 9 Old 05-22-2004, 06:20 PM

It sounds like it could be your sciatic nerve. The pain from it being bruised or from pressure on it can be so bad. My grandmother and mother have suffered on and off from this for years.

Some chiropractors don't know how to do much for this, so you might need to find someone else if your current one is out of suggestions.

I hope you can get it to clear up, my mom used to be in agony when it would flare up.
#7 of 9 Old 05-23-2004, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Get thee to a physical therapist. I had to argue to get a referral, but when I did, I explained my pain exactly as you did (starting at 16 weeks, got unbearable by 20) and they knew what it was immediately. The wonderful therapist fixed it on the spot. I walked out of the office pain free.

The problem was that the hormones that start to relax your joints start to kick in around 16 weeks. The effect was that it loosened things a tad too much and ended up rotating my tailbone with respect to my pelvis about 20 degrees from normal. The effect is that the tailbone then pinches the sciatic nerve when you sit, things readjust a bit as you're sitting, and then pinches the nerve again when you stand. It came back in a mild form occasionally throughout the rest of my pregnancy, but I could put myself in the gumby-like position that the PT used and relieve the pain.

Good luck. I found that I had to somewhat overexaggerte my description to get a referral, as my mw just kept telling me that "some back pain is normal. Take Tylenol." When I called in tears, I got the referral. According to the PT, this is a very common problem, but very underdiagnosed.
#8 of 9 Old 05-23-2004, 05:42 PM

Hmmm... I was actually thinking it was the coccyx (sp?) nerve. You might want to try a physical therapist if the chiro isn't working. That was a good suggestion.

Have you ever injured your tailbone? Perhaps it is a leftover injury that is being aggravated by all the pressure on your pelvic region.
#9 of 9 Old 05-24-2004, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamaya
Hmmm... I was actually thinking it was the coccyx (sp?) nerve. You might want to try a physical therapist if the chiro isn't working. That was a good suggestion.

Have you ever injured your tailbone? Perhaps it is a leftover injury that is being aggravated by all the pressure on your pelvic region.
I could very easily be wrong about which nerve it was. I said sciatic because that's what everyone complains about in pregnancy. It was (eek) 2 years ago afterall!

Just for the record, I'd never had any tailbone or hip problems before pregnancy. I was running 12 miles a week at the time, and biking to work everyday. The PT nixed the running and biking saying that it could jar the bone out of place again, but allowed swimming, yoga and walking. I walked 5+ miles a day with no problems all the way until the day before delivery.

I hope you get a resolution soon! It was so excruciatingly painful. Worse than labor, honestly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page