Cesarean Birth and Recovery SUPPORT Thread 11 (MAY 2004) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our other thread was 200 posts long and 11 pages, time to start another one.

This is a the Cesarean Support and Recovery Thread. This is not a thread for debate or judgement of our choices or necessity of cesarean.

All are welcome to post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, roll call!!!I think KKmama has some news for us. Where is she???
#3 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
That is a dilema. I don't know what to say. I am sorry. IS there a more VBAC friendly hospital around?
Yes and no. Here in NJ, land of exborbitant med. mal. premiums, the VBAC friendly insitutions are slowly becoming unfriendly basically by adding more and more required interventions (they say b/c of current medical evidence and ACOG guidelines, I say b/c their malpractice carriers require it in order to have coverage for VBACs). And I guess I feel, after being already subjected to a bunch of IMO unnecessary interventions and "rules" w/Henry's birth which lead, IMO, to a c/s, that if I'm going to be stuck in bed again, what's the point in suffering through a labor, ykwim? I really don't want a repeat c/s, though, if at all possible to avoid.

I'm still working through this, obviously. I must say, though, dh has come full circle. He actually asked what the rules for HBAC were in NY (since his parents have a house there). Go dh! I'm looking into that now (if anyone knows, let me know). My only reluctance there is that in the case of transport, its at least 15-20 miles to a VBAC equipped hospital. But that may not be fatal if HBAC is legal.

We're also looking into some options in NYC (where dh works). There are some very good, supposedly very VBAC friendly, hospitals/centers there, and if no traffic, its less than an hour by car. (My thought is to make te trip during non-rush hour in earlish labor and then just labor in a museum or Central Park or something untl well into active labor -- crazy, I know).

I'm still investigating ... but thanks for letting me flush out my thoughts here.

Kkmama ... where are you? Inquiring minds want to know! (We're awful -- you're probably just enjoying your babymoon and we're harrassing you ).
#4 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Amy,

Have you considered this scenario: Hiring a doula and labouring at home as long as possible and then going to the hospital. With an experienced doula or maybe you could hire a midwife to be your doula, you would be able to stay at home until the baby is fastly approaching. I know my friend did this, and had her baby within like 45 min of arrival. There was no time for intervention!
#5 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 02:49 PM

KKmama hasn't posted in almost a week. I would think that means baby is here!!!! I hope everything went well and she got what she had been hoping for!! to you!!!

I'm here by the way I feel like I've been Don't know why...but I do....

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#6 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 04:44 PM

200 posts!?!? wowsers!

It's Our Family- What do you feel censored about mama?

Henry's_Mama- I would suggesst a doula and what OnTheFence suggested about laboring at home. Even if you do end up birthing in the hospital you are in charge of your birth no matter what. Good luck to you in your journey!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#7 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 04:55 PM

Why do I feel censored.... I feel like ppl judge what I say based on my method of birth and the fact that ppl consider me a fundamentalist....which I am NOT!

I was planning on laboring at home as long as possible and then showing up at a hospital with my doula....which was before my doula bailed and I chose repeat instead (which happened after my doula bailed btw...)

#8 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 06:33 PM

I'm going to join in here. I posted my birth story - here's the link for anyone who is interested. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=147221

I had 2 very uneventful vaginal deliveries with my first 2 kids- they were 5 weeks early and we had nursing issues, but deliveries went fine- totally natural.

This one caught me totally off guard. I'm comfortable that it was needed and I'm ok with it, but I still find myself playing monday morning quarterback to see if there was anything else I could have done differently. I really don't think so.

I looked at my birth plan after ds was born and there was almost nothing on it that actually went 'right'. My doc was awesome, though, and I believe didn't want the surgery as much as I didn't want it.

It's not the actual birth and delivery I'm having a hard time with, it's the recovery. By this time with my first 2, I felt great. Now, I'm still having a hard time getting up and down, I'm still walking very slowly, and I still can't pick up my other kids. That's the part that's hard for me-the physical side of it.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#9 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family
KKmama hasn't posted in almost a week. I would think that means baby is here!!!! I hope everything went well and she got what she had been hoping for!! to you!!!

I'm here by the way I feel like I've been Don't know why...but I do....
Please do not feel censored. And please voice your concerns to Cynthia. I want to say that I told Cynthia today in PM that I do not feel a Cesarean Section Board would be in the best interest of MDC. I think it would cause so much division and I believe some people would take things to an extreme to make a point or abuse other posters. While I am open to debate, talk about the high csection rate, having better birthing practices, etc etc etc -- I don't think I can stomach anyone or myself being used as a way for someone to sound off. I hope none of you are pissed that I now feel this way, I know I am one who advocated for a forum, but I just don't think its right anymore.
#10 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, Mamas, just letting you know that KKMama did have her baby - a VBAC. She posted in the due date thread. I had to search for her name to find the post!

OK, that's it. Just wanted to say that - and that I'm glad that there is this thread. Really glad.
#11 of 167 Old 05-22-2004, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Pam for giving us such wonderful news and hugs!
#12 of 167 Old 05-23-2004, 12:20 AM

Hi all!

Since I'm the one who started the drama thread defending this support thread, perhaps I should actually post here

I'm going to have a repeat c/s in July for this little babe. I'm actually at peace with it, but wasn't at first... and I've finally reached 100% peace with my first c/s. With eclampsia/hellp/abruption there was no other choice.

I am a little nervous because my epi didn't work very well and I felt a LOT of the c/s last time... but I'm hoping the spinal works better.

I am also very worried about hospital policy.... last time they took my very healthy newborn to the nursery for FOUR hours before I saw her because that's hospital policy for c/s..... despite no health issues.... and I'd like to nurse ASAP... but I'm having issues with sticking up for myself on this one....

My daughter didn't latch until 10 weeks old and I think part of it was that she didn't get offered the breast for SO long, you know?

Anyway, I need to discuss this with my ob soon. I'm also having my tubes tied during my c/s and I want to know if anyone has had that? Did it make your recovery any longer?
#13 of 167 Old 05-23-2004, 03:17 AM

woohoo kkmama! congrats to you on your VBAC and your new babe!

shelbean-welcome..thanks for sharing your story..I totally know how you feel about recovery time. I felt great when I came home from the hospital but was shocked to learn I could barely bend over for weeks! (picking up ds just to change his diaper was torture not to mention holding him hurt my belly!) We had lots of family visiting but since I looked fine I think they all assumed I was fine..My parents did help out alot with cleaning and stuff though. My advice is rest as much as you possibly can, as the more you do the quicker you will recover..I know that's probably not the easiest though with 3 kiddos! (I had a hard enough time with a newborn!) Do you have someone helping you out with your other children? btw seems like there's quite a few of us AZ mamas here on this thread too..(I'm down near Tucson)

it'sourfamily- i'm sorry you are feeling censored..I do kind of know how you feel. In most of my *natural* (mostly UC & HB) birthy forums I frequent I feel like I must not talk about my c/s less I be judged for the decisions I made or just an inferior tone I feel that I did not end up with a natural childbirth so I must be ignorant or something..even here I feel the same way, though I've found the most support through this thread..you know what I've decided though? it's my birth and I have chosen to own my experience, so let people think whatever they want, they were not at my birth..YKWIM? (I know that it's definitly easier said than done at times though.)

kimberlibby- it was our hospital's policy that there is no rooming in with your baby until after a mandatory 4 hour visit to the nursery (they don't take the babe until 2 hours spent in recovery with mom though). My MW's however really stressed the point to us that he's our babe & we can do what we want with him. They can't MAKE you send him to the nursery (though the MW's did warn us there might be retaliation on the nurse's part) we only had 1 nurse that was a snot ( not because of rooming in though but because we asked her if we could store our placenta in the fridge) though another interrogated us in the hallway while I was being wheeled to my room from recovery why I didn't want baby bathed (like he was diseased or something..arghh.literaly she chased us down the hall.lol.), the rest were real sweeties and gave us no problems at all. Anyway my point is, it's your babe and hospital policy is not always set in stone. also can you get an LC to come help you at your hospital? Mine was definitly why I am still BF today (even is spite of supplementing & supply issues- though mine was due to illness and another hospitalization not the c/s)

#14 of 167 Old 05-23-2004, 03:50 AM
Banned

hi,
just checking in. i've had three c/s. i lurked for four plus years, learning, before i posted for the first time. when i found this thread i realized i finally"fit" here. thanx. will write more later.
#15 of 167 Old 05-23-2004, 08:55 AM

YAY KKmama!!! I KNEW she could do it!!! I can't wait to hear the story!

OTF--I told CM that about the c/b forum about 3 months ago. I don't think its a good idea either and if it were to happen it would need about 4 mods to keep an eye on it...kwim??

#16 of 167 Old 05-23-2004, 08:47 PM

Hi everyone,
I sincerely hope it is okay for me to post here. I am a doula, (fairly new, I only started last fall) and have had two clients thus far have c/s - one much more traumatic and unexpected than the other. I also have a client who is due in early June. She hopes for a VBAC, but her doctor is not all that supportive, and her repeat c/s is scheduled for three days later. We've talked about her visualizing all three possible scenarios (successful VBAC, scheduled c/s or c/s after labouring) and I've asked her to focus on imagining herself being in charge in each situation, I want her to feel empowered no matter what happens.

Because of her situation, and because of how hard it was for me when my first two clients had c/s (because I cared about them and knew that the birth was not what they had hoped for)- I would like to ask permission to lurk on your thread, to try and gain some knowledge that can help me when I am supporting a client and a c/s becomes necessary for whatever reason. How can I help my clients plan an empowering c/s (or at least prepare for the eventuality if it looks like a real possibility)?

The hospital I've worked at also has the "mandatory" four hour recovery period in the nursery. For one of my clients this was not a problem, her recovery was rocky and she wasn't ready to be with her baby, and for the second, the baby had a low glucose stick, so they brought her to recovery long enough for a leisurly nurse and cuddle. However, how can my clients get around this in the future? I'd love to hear from some of you who have managed to circumvent that rule. Do you have any other specific suggestions for things that commonly come up and should be addressed prenatally or before the decision is made during labour?

Also, after the c/s (especially in the case of an unexpected or traumatic c/s)- what can I do to help my clients process the event and emotionally recover?

Again, I hope it is not inappropriate for me to post here, and don't worry at all about telling me if you'd prefer I posted these questions somewhere else.

Jeanette
#17 of 167 Old 05-23-2004, 09:18 PM

A quick note on the 4 hour seperation policy- in some hospitals, the reasoning for this is that the recovery nurses are only in charge of mom. There may not be anyone trained in neonatal resuscitation to look after the baby 'just in case.' A doula friend of mine told me about a client she had that recently got out of the seperation period when the parents signed a consent form indicating that they wouldn't hold the hospital accountable if anything happened to the baby.

Point being, if you can find out WHY the policy exists, you may be able to find a way around the policy.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#18 of 167 Old 05-23-2004, 09:43 PM

Jeanette- I don't mind your questions. I'm actually a student doula, so I look forward to anyone's imput on the subject as well. I think for me the key to my having a positive experience (even though it was far from the birth I'd planned) was that everyone around me was super respectful and never pressured me. I think the best thing you can do to help your clients recover is to listen and validate thier experience..even if they want to go over it 20 times. I know talking about it helps process the experience and with a new baby most family and friends are focused on the baby and not how the mom actually feels. I think this is when we hear comments like "well at least baby is healthy" (I think that's the WORST thing anyone could tell a post c/s mom IMHO).

#19 of 167 Old 05-23-2004, 10:00 PM

Hiya! I'm new to this thread... I had an unplanned c/b in March, and I am still dealing with the emotional issues resulting. I had wanted to have natural birth. The short version of events is that I had been diagnosed with pre-eclampsia around 38 weeks. I was on partial bedrest and the baby had not engaged. My water broke at 39 weeks, 5 days. I was ordered to stay in the bed because of the worry of prolapsed cord. She never engaged and 26ish hours later I had the Cesarean. She had a double nuchal cord that the doctor said was tight. I lost a TON of blood (I was anemic to begin with) and actually stayed on antibiotics for 4 days.

I'm still having a lot of issues, because it was ultimately up to me about when to have the Cesarean. I was allowed to labour for 12 hours in the hospital, but I felt pressure towards saying "yes". (Of course, I was MISERABLE being in the bed that whole time.) I feel like I have to convince myself it was necessary to have it. Am I alone in this?
#20 of 167 Old 05-24-2004, 03:05 PM

I'm surprised at how many places have this 4 hour thing going.

I birthed my DD in Boston. Because I knew ahead of time that I was going to have a C/S, I checked all the policies before picking a hospital. Boston is actually very progressive, and most hospitals there were certified "breastfeeding friendly". This includes allowing C/S moms immediate access to their babies for bonding and post-birth BFing/latching, so long as there is no emergency following the birth that requires a NICU transfer.

So, one possibility is to check to see if there are other, more progressive hospitals in your area.

If changing hospitals is not an option, then I agree with what everyone else here said: it's your baby, and they can't take her away if you don't want it. But do try to make this clear ahead of time. Talk to your OB and the head nurse at your hospital. Births are BIG BUCKS for hospitals, and if you threaten to take your business elsewhere you just might get something.

I wouldn't stand for it, myself. I know how important that early bonding time is. Just make it clear that you won't be following that policy.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#21 of 167 Old 05-24-2004, 03:43 PM

When I had Zachary -- I was adament that I get to see him, however he started having breathing problems. They wanted to keep an eye on him. Of course when I got him, I NEVER let him go. He had the loudest scream in the hosptial. and he was NOT happy with out his mama.
#22 of 167 Old 05-24-2004, 04:51 PM

Well, no baby today. I just got the amnio results and he is just not ready. SO, we wait a bit--how long, I don't yet know. Maybe a week...maybe two.

I'm a bit bummed but would be way more bummed if he had to be on a vent!!

Onward....
#23 of 167 Old 05-24-2004, 05:15 PM

My hospital also kept me from ds for 4+ hours. DH and I kept bugging everyone but no one would bring him to me. Dh tried to "rescue" him from the nursery, but the nurses told dh that ds couldn't leave, and dh didn't know any better to argue with him (he was too overwhelmed with the c/s and everything else going on, I think). We kept asking what the hold up was and they said well he needs a bath -- I told them no bath and they ignored me. He needs to be kept warm -- I told them that's what my arms and warm blankets were for. They didn't give a rat's behind. I was SO mad. Still am. I never got to hold my ds on his birthday. I sincerely believe that we had such a rough start to bfing b/c of that (he developed serious blood type incompatibility jaundice within 30 hours of birth and he never latched on well until he was almost a week old).

I think the policy is stupid, frankly, and it is a litigation based policy. If anything were to happen to baby, they're afraid of being sued -- afterall, a c/s is not a "natural" form of delivery and does not have the same benefits that a v/b provides (for getting fluid out of lungs, for example), and the hospitals know this and know that there are ramifications for that. More and more I believe that hospital policies surrounding birth, c/s, VBAC, etc. are made based on their med. mal. ins. carrier's wishes of how to best avoid liigation and not using evidence based medicine. I am seriously trying to figure out how a lwasuit could be brought b/c a hospital failed to follow evidence based medicine.

Anyway ... new people, btw.
#24 of 167 Old 05-24-2004, 05:17 PM

For those of you who requested your medical records from your hospital and/or OB/mw ... how long did it take from the time you sent your request to the time you received your records? I'm feeling impatient ... I sent my requests a week ago and I haven't heard anything.
#25 of 167 Old 05-24-2004, 05:19 PM

AnaNicole ... so sorry to hear that. But its better for him if he cooks a little while longer. Are they giving you steroids or anything? Will they do additional amnios?
#26 of 167 Old 05-24-2004, 07:15 PM

At our hospital I was unable to see him for a little more than 3 hours, but I was put to sleep so I was in recovery during that time. They did bring EThan right up to our family (DH and all his grandparents and a couple uncles) as soon as they had all the tests and cleaning up done. I felt kind of bad they were able to be together but I'm just glad he was able to be with family almost right after his birth. I think that's what I'm going to look forward to with a vbac; instant togetherness
#27 of 167 Old 05-24-2004, 07:39 PM

Amy -- Call the hospital. Make sure they didn't "lose" the request. Generally they say about a week.

HTH
#28 of 167 Old 05-24-2004, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
AnaNicole ... so sorry to hear that. But its better for him if he cooks a little while longer. Are they giving you steroids or anything? Will they do additional amnios?
Well, I had steroid shots last month, which is one reason we're surprised about the amnio results. To the best of my knowledge we won't do another amnio, just wait. But I don't know. Apparently he's not as mature as we even guessed he'd be (one of the docs said he should at least be "marginal" but it doesn't sound like he is). I assume we're just going to wait about two weeks. But, I have had a lot of contx. so....

Time will tell! This is almost like waiting to go into labor!
#29 of 167 Old 05-25-2004, 09:59 AM

Hi! I think I posted on this thread once a while ago, I read it alot though, it is like an addiction I had my first c/b w/my DS he was 42+ weeks late and after being induced and pushing for 3+ hours we realized he was not going to come out that way because he was looking to the right (I never met the ob until 1 hour before the c/b)

I had my DD via scheduled c/b, after a lot of research we decided it was best. She was on oxygen for 2 1/2 days, but nursed like a champ when we finally got together (this was 2 days after birth) She never got any formula in the hosipital while we were seperated, and I didn't pump for her until almost 24 hours after the birth, poor babe was on an iv with sugar water.

If you don't like the 4 hour rule challenge it, but I just want anyone reading this thread to know that just because you can't nurse minutes after birth doesn't mean that you are doomed to a failed bfing experience (or a prolonged latch on period)

Also, I got my tubes tied during my DD birth and had no additional pain in recovery.
#30 of 167 Old 05-25-2004, 12:12 PM

Tracy and I were never apart. I was wheeled out of the or holding him. He never left my sight. That wasn't me that was the hospital policy. With Bryce they took him about 10 minutes after birth and then had him while i was stitched. They were going to keep him another 15 minutes but they brought him asap since he wanted to nurse They took him 2 hours later to the nicu for 30 hours for his O2 levels.

Ananicole

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page