Active labour position - Mothering Forums

• 1 Post By JamieCatheryn
#1 of 4 Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Active labour position

I am due with my second child soon, just getting around to writing my birth plan. I have a question about positions during active labor.

With my first, I was planning to push in any position BUT laying flat on the back. But, during labor I was told to stay on the back because it supposedly opens up your torso and it's easier for the baby to come out without getting stuck (something to that extend). This wasn't just one midwife's opinion - a couple of them told me that during my 4.5 pushing session. Has anybody else heard that (excluding epidural births)? From what I read, birthing flat in the back is probably the worst position, yet it's what I was recommended.
Sponsored Links
#2 of 4 Old 02-15-2015, 05:56 PM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I think they told you a load of bunk. I'd go with the many other things you read vs what your particular midwife practice said.

Did you use a bunch of other positions that didn't seem to work?

I'm a fan of following your instincts to choose a position. If you're using the same practice/group as last time I'd tell them that's what you'll be doing, and not to offer suggestions unless you ask.

I'm pretty sure the baby doesn't come out your torso.
#3 of 4 Old 02-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Flat on your back is better than semi-sitting halfway up, that does close the pelvis more than flat. Better pushing positions are on hands and knees or squatting (while holding something or someone holding you up), on your side with someone helping hold your top leg up can work too maybe for a rest. Squatting really opens the pelvis up better than anything, something like 30% more. If pushing takes a while you can rotate between a few different positions. There's a tilt to things that makes you have to fight against gravity on your back, upright obviously has gravity help, on your side is gravity neutral and hands and knees is a little help from gravity.
AntoninBeGonin likes this.
#4 of 4 Old 03-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
I think it depends on what feels good to you - and for some women, that's flat on their backs.

In all four of my labors, I've stayed on my feet, pacing, swaying, and I don't sit/lay until baby is crowning. All four have been born with me semi-reclining and I don't push at all - and no tears. I think the gravity and swaying my hips in circles allows baby to descend and stretch everything and then once they're crowning, that urge to push is so intense but instead, I breathe through the contractions and pressure and let them just ease out (my uterus just does the work.) No tears, no swelling.

My second baby might have been born while I was flat on my back, I can't remember. That labor was an hour from the first twinge that woke me in the night until she was in my arms and all I remember is that I got to the bed just as she came shooting out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page