Breaking water and contractions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2004, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been wondering this for some time and now that we are thinking about ttc #2 I thought I would ask this question. When in labour with ds, I had contractions that were fairly tolerable in that I could breath through them and feel OK about everything. My doctor suggested breaking my water to "speed" things up. The contractions immediately became much more painful and I had a lot more trouble. 2 hours after my water was broken I was able to start pushing but had to push for 2-1/2 hours before ds was born. Overall, I'm not complaining about my labour as it was 12 hours start to finish for my first baby and I am happy with that. But I did have a lot more trouble with the more painful contractions and didn't know if I could continue much longer (for those of you who have had much longer and more painful labours - please forgive me! and please don't laugh at a first time mom who doesn't have a lot to compare it with).

Thinking back, I am wondering if we decided to not break my water if I could have handled the more minor contractions for a lot longer and not had to deal with the major contractions for as long. Or does it take a lot longer to reach the pushing stage if your water doesn't break?

Ideally, I would like to be as natural as possible and I did pretty well with my ds (except for agreeing to the waters being broken). I am pretty sure our next baby will be born in the hospital as I'm not quite comfortable with a homebirth but I do want to do things differently and think that not breaking my waters is a better way to go.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Banned

i am wondering the same thing about my dd's birth. i labored at home for 3 days and was 3 cm and 90% when i went to the hospital. they had me walk for 2 hrs and i didn't progress any more. i didn't know any better and they told me that they'd have to break my bags to get me to progress. the ctx were unbearable (really, they went from a 40-50 on the monitor to 100-120) immeadiately and i ended up agreeing to an epi (which i HAD NOT) wanted.

i definately think that breaking the bag can progress labor quickly and at an unnatural pace. now that i am more educated i know that i will never let that happen again, no matter how uncomfortable i am!

(besides which i will never labor in a hospital, confined to a bed again!) i will either give birth in my home, a birth center or walk in the hospital (not that one) ready to push the baby out!
Old 05-23-2004, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The same thing happened to me...they broke the water after I had been at 6 cm for about 5 hours. Everything had been fine up until then, but afterwards it got extremely painful. I will definitely refuse AROM this time.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:39 AM

My first labor started with my water breaking (spontaneously), and that labor, while fast was much more intense and painful than my other 3. With #2 and #3 my water broke on it's own toward the very end, and both times I had a huge urge to push with the next contraction and pushed those 2 out quickly. Those 2 labors were very much less intense with my bag intact. With #4 I arrived at the hospital 8 cms dilated and still pretty comfortable. My doc wanted to break my water right away and we had a big argument about it. I still feel that argument sort of threw off my labor pattern, because after that I kind of stalled for quite a while. I finally let her break my water (still can't figure out why I didn't get up and walk first) and I was completely dilated as soon as she broke my water. I had no urge to push, though, and finally just started pushing because I wanted to try and get the baby out in May (she was born at 11:46 pm) I always thought labor was far more manageable with my bag intact.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My mom said that it only took 3 hours to give birth to me, and the bag didn't break until pushing. With my little brother, the water broke several hours before labor started, and the whole labor with him was 12 hours and very hard.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Leaving the water intact is an excellent choice. There's less risk of baby getting in a funky position and making it harder to turn....less risk of fetal distress...and, yes, the contractions are more tolerable.

I don't think it necessarily speeds up a slow labor all the time. Granted, there have been times I have broken water - but it takes some solid discussion.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:23 AM

With my 2 hb's my waters broke while pushing.

I had short labors with both.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:30 AM

my water broke today at 3:30...........it's 11pm now and I haven't really had any action.

with my dd, my water NEVER broke and labor was hard and fast.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermama
my water broke today at 3:30...........it's 11pm now and I haven't really had any action.

YAY!!! get some rest, mama! YAYAY!!!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 02:09 PM

Very interesting. My water broke before I had any serious contractions and then they were 3-4 minutes apart from then on (the next 9 to 10 hours). I didn't think it was too bad. It's kind of exciting to know that without rupture of membranes I might have less pain since I thought the pain was pretty tolerable (except for a couple ctx) to start with.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermama

ooooh very exciting!!! good luck with your labor and delivery.

fwiw, with my first, they broke my water in the hospital after days of contractions and very slow dilation. it didn't immediately change the ctx, but very soon after they were awful, but i also went from 5cm to 10 cm in a VERY short amount of time. i thought the intense contractions was due to them breaking my water, but after my second labor now i wonder if it's just my pattern to go *fast* from the time i hit 5cm or so.

with my second my water broke in my kitchen around 4pm. i had no contractions for about 4 hours. and mild "am i really in labor?" contractions for about 3 hours after that. showed up at the birth center about 11:15pm. got checked at 11:45pm since i was thinking of just going back home. ctx changed immensely right after that. i went from 5 cm to 10 cm in about 30 minutes. pushed for 8 minutes and had a happy, healthy baby girl shortly after midnight.

i guess if i ever have a third we'll see if i can get through transition with an intact bag of waters to see if it's any less intense.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
Old 05-26-2004, 06:40 PM

With Goo, the water broke overnight and I didn't have contractions until the second day of induction (was GBS+ and hospital policy was to deliver before 48 hours).

Took 49 hours and 3 hours of pushing to get that kiddo out. So, I am in the "water broken does not equal fast labor" boat...

She must have been hanging on by her fingernails!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:09 PM

I'm in the "stupidly agreed to AROM and ctx were immediately HORRIBLE" camp.

Next time, the baby'll be born in the bag before I agree to AROM!!

My ctx, really not bad at all up til then, got faster, stronger, and back labor kicked in. I fought it for awhile, but then ended up w/the unwanted epidural.

Did it make my labor faster? Hard to say (can't go back in time and do-over), but I really really doubt it. Did it make my labor worse? Oh, yeah.

I suspect that my ctx were put-putting along like they were so that DS could turn in his own time. When we AROM, we kind of stranded DS in a bad position. Of course, that's all just my own conjecture - there's no way my OB would discuss this w/me now. At the time, though, he was REALLY pushing for that AROM, saying it would "hurry things along". At the time, it was annoying and ended up being overwhelming. Now, it just makes me mad - I should have said "What? You have somewhere else to be?" and booted him out of the room. Ah, that 20/20 hindsight.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:23 PM

My water broke with all 3. With my first 2, contractions were easy enough until about 6 cm, then pretty painful, but I went from 6 cm to delivered in about an hour w/my first and 30 min with my 2nd.

Things went differently with my 3rd, ended up with a c-section, but we first tried adding fluid back into the uterus. I have to say the contractions were much easier when that fluid was being added than it had been, and I had also a low dose of pitocin going. It turned out that ds 2 was positioned to come out forehead first, too bad that extra fluid didn't help him to be able to get a better position.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 05-26-2004, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. It's great to hear about the experiences of others. Next time I really hope to avoid having my waters broken. I agree with a couple of you in that the contractions went from tolerable to horrible in minutes. I would like to avoid that if possible. But.....who knows what the next one will bring. Could be something completely different

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 05-26-2004, 10:00 PM

With my dd, by the time they decided ot break my water, i had been in labor for over 24 hours and had had an epidural, soI can't tell you if the contractions got any worse. With ds, my water broke, and I didn't go into labor until 21 hours later. But when I did go into labor, I had contractions 90 seconds apart, lasting 40-50 seconds each, right from the start. And they were really painful right from the get-go. Ds was born about 3 hours after I had my first contraction - Almost exactly 24 hours after my water broke.

User Tag List