Mothering Forum banner

Postpartum Pre-Eclampsia

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  shilyowme 
#1 ·
I had posted about this shortly after the birth that this happened with, but I can't find it, so I'm starting a new thread.

Can any other mamas who've experienced post-partum pre-e chime in with experiences? My most recent baby (almost 2!) was born in 2013 unassisted- our 3rd UC, and by far my healthiest pregnancy and healthiest baby yet. Birth went well, was my least painful. The main differences in the experience were that I took a "birth prep" formula from Mountain Meadow Herbs that time (never taken anything other than RRL and pg tea before), my fluid had some light meconium staining, and I had some minor bleeding before I birthed the placenta (I've never bled prior to the placenta coming out before). Those three things were the only differences from my other three births.

However, six days after the birth, I was recovering wonderfully until that morning I woke up feeling "off", had some trouble breathing, and my pulse felt like sludge. I was advised to get up and move more (which was kind of insulting, as I'm up and going all the time and don't get near the recovery of the average postpartum mom!). Spent the day accomplishing things I'd had to wait to do until after he was born and it turned out almost NOTHING worked in my favor, which made for a miserable time and crabby mama. Then by the end of the day I was feeling crummy again so I checked my BP and it was sky high for me. Normally I have really low pressures (as I did all through the pregnancy) but it was 150/90, and so I called my husband home and it continued to rise when he go there (up to nearly 190/100), probably emphasized by my freaking out over the possibility of "postpartum preeclampsia." He called his mom and dad over from across the road, they gave me some BP meds and loaded me up on magnesium, and we watched and waited for a short time so we could decide whether or not to head in to the hospital (which FREAKED me out because I didn't want anyone taking my baby from me or not letting me nurse him or whatever...). Praise God my pressures eventually dropped and remained normal from that point on, but it was still very scary. And discouraging, considering it was my healthiest pregnancy yet. They kept reminding me of how there can be no rhyme or reason to pre-eclampsia but it didn't comfort me at all.

It really got me down because I have NO idea what to do about it in the future. Is there something I should have seen coming? Was the blood during the birth some indicator? (I've read that sometimes hemorrhaging- which I didn't reach that point, but still- can precede PP pre-e) Could the birth prep formula have had something to do with it? What does this mean for future births, if I'm given the opportunity to do it again? (praying that is so!!) I understand that the cause of pre-eclampsia is somewhat of a mystery, but it really frustrates me to think I could experience it again and there not be anything I can do about it. I guess I would probably find myself loading up on magnesium and celery seed after the birth as the best preventative measure I can find?

See less See more
#2 ·
I didn't have my pre-eclampsia continue postpartum. Mine stayed till the birth and then my blood pressure dropped off slowly afterward. I didn't even know that you could suddenly develop it postpartum. That's pretty eye opening. I'm still trying my best to figure out how to prevent myself from getting it at the end of this pregnancy. Considering I developed it in the last week or two of pregnancy my best plan would be to deliver slightly earlier if I can convince baby to come out. I'm also taking Omega 3 fish oil because my midwife told me it lowers the chance of pre-eclampsia. She also said a good cal-meg will help too, but I don't like the one she got me. It gave me gastritis. Ouch. I might try one in capsules. I can't really give you any advice on postpartum pre-e, but I thought you'd at least appreciate a reply from someone who has had pre-e before.

#3 ·
Thank you. That's interesting, because this was the pregnancy where I consistently took my FCLO/BO well! (more than any other supplement) I took cal/mag but not a ton, just as much as I usually take. I do know I probably didn't get enough protein after the birth, so that's something I'd work on next time, but it is still kind of a mystery.

Hopefully you don't have to deal with the pre-e again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.