Plecenta Prints- any ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2004, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've heard about moms making placenta prints (either with the blood or ink). I'm really interested in this. Has anyone here tried it? How did it turn out? Um... what kind of paper should I use? Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried this with dd#2. Problem was I had an accidental unassisted birth. Then the placenta ended up down the toilet & then in a plastic bag & transported to the midwives. So by the time I got to try to placenta print it it turned into a total splodge. With dd# 3 I forgot, until after I'd had to thaw her placenta to make room in the freezer & had planted it out the back block.

In theory, if I was to remember again, what I would do is get a pad of appropriate sized watercolour painting paper. I think you need to drain it off a bit so it isn't this blob of a blood stain. Then I would gently stamp the different sheets of paper with it.

I found these instructions on the net. I would use watercolour paper as it is more absorbant & textured so I think it would get the patterns a lot better.

http://www.birthdiaries.com/diary/48vbirth2.htm

There are some hysterical comments in the comments section of that web page about it. I dread to think what they would say about the prospect of eating a placenta

User Tag List