OK..just took Castor Oil - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 05-31-2004, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did blue cohosh tea. I got mine at a local herbal store. I can't remember exactly how much of the dried herb I used, but I steeped it for 30 minutes before drinking it. I did this three times a day, as my midwife suggested. It made me have contractions but not labor, so I gave up after a couple of days. It didn't taste as bad as I expected though. :LOL

I tried the castor oil cocktail too, but that only gave me awful diarrhea.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#32 of 44 Old 05-31-2004, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I boought it at a natural foods chain store. If you don't have one of those around you, the internet is probably your best bet.

Black cohosh is easier to find, and I tried it solo a couple of times with no luck, but within 6 hours of starting with the blue/black mixture I went into labor. I don't know if it was just my time or what, but it's definitely worth a try! I used the tinctures, 8 drops each in warm water every hour, with another dose of black cohosh on the half hour. I simultaneously took caulopyllum (homeopathic blue cohosh) every 15 minutes.

NOTE: I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND THE ABOVE DOES NOT CONSTITUTE MEDICAL ADVICE.
#33 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 12:55 AM

Yah, I've heard swallowing prostglandins found "in something else" is actually MORE effective than placing it on your cervix.

Anyone have experience with THAT working? (i'm not a big fan of swallowing prostglandins...lol)

Abby
#34 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yes - I too have heard that "swallowing something else" containing prostagladins can be helpful....I think its just such a cruel joke that the one thing thats really recommened to get things started is sex...I mean did I guy start this rumor? I can barely get in the car or put on my shoes and you want me to do what??? I think after seeing my MW today I'll talk to her about the black/blue cohosh. I've been taking Evening Primrose Oil every day for about 3 weeks...and my cervix is apparently nice and soft but thats about it... I've also tried the nip. stimuli but it just brings on a contrac or 2 and then nothing. We hit the malls yesterday and walked for about 4 hours....nothing. I swear, I'm starting to feel like a watched pot! I finally had to change my answering message to

"Hi, You've reached T, H, D & A. We're not available right now BUT that doesn't mean we're off having a baby without telling you. WE PROMISE we will call with news when there is news. Thanks! "

After 10 msg. swearing that they just KNEW I was having the baby I had to do something!
#35 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 01:45 PM

i think the thing with castor oil is you have to take quite a bit of it. I usually suggest an ounce in root beer with ice (I keep stirring it while they drink it through a straw), then wait, take a nice hot bath and take another ounce two hours later. Typically we'll see labor start a couple hours after the 2nd dose. It has to really affect your bowels for it to work.

If I was facing threats of pharmaceutical induction, I'd swallow.

Then again, I'd also probably tell said providers to bug off!
#36 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 04:15 PM

I would think that topically applied prostaglandins would work better than systemic, which is what you would get if you swallowed.

Just my opinion. Do what you will, without gagging.
#37 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Some say they are more effectively absorbed when swallowed. But I guess I could try it the other way and see...

Although since I'm already 3 days "overdue" if it did work it could all be a coincidence.
#38 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 PM

another reason the CO sometimes works is b/c w/the diarrehea it causes, you can dehydrate easily. And with dehydrations sometimes come urterine contractions. That's why they tell you when your not sure if it's braxton-hicks or not to drink a full glass of water, the b.h. will stop if your having false labor due to dehyration. I never went over, but I did the castor oil and was miserible...thank goodness it didnt put me into labor. Labor pains AND intestinal cramps, no thank you. Don't know what my fuzzy preggo mind was thinking.

edited to add that someone told me (think it was a doc) that swine semen is used to help add cervix dialation for induction.
#39 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 06:06 PM

the basic idea with castor oil is that it causes your intenstines to contract, creating prostaglandins. these prostaglandins also will be near your uterus (your intestines are buddy buddy with your uterus at this point!) and will create contractions similarly.

i forgot where I read the study about swallowing semen to start labor. I've heard from a few women that it really works.

and, yep, prostagladin gels used in the hospital are made from concentrated pig semen.
#40 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So really, any laxative would work? Or is there something special about CO?
#41 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I had a MW appt. today and I am at a 5! Yippee! Halfway there and not too much effort! Once "inside", she checked to see if my membranes were strippable but to her pleasant surprise they had pretty much already pulled away from my cervix and such. SO...from friday pm to tuesday noon I went from a thick, posterior, 1-2cm to a very thin, perfectly positioned, 5cm. Was it the castor oil??? Who knows! She is convinced that tonight will be the night. We'll see!

She said that she could break my water whenever I wanted (I told her - we would just let that happen on its own). And she wants me to go in for a NST tomorrow IF I haven't given birth by then...
#42 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 07:40 PM

no, I think that there's something special about castor oil. then again, I could be wrong. who knows? obviously, not me! lol

glad to hear that you've dilated, mama. you're getting close. it's nice when you're under pressure to make some progress!
#43 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

pamamidwife...

I think she's just a teeny bit nervous because I'm a 2nd Vbac...and the birthing center she's affiliated with normally doesn't have moms birth there who are VBAC and 41+ weeks....I LOVE being pregant and this will be our last...so I am thankful for every moment of my pregnancy- from beginning, to the end...and if the end takes awhile...all the better!
#44 of 44 Old 06-01-2004, 09:28 PM

heather - Wow, that's an encouraging turn of events! Happy birthing vibes to you - I trust it will all go wonderfully and your babe will be snuggling in your arms soon.

(Meanwhile I'm over the turns this thread has taken, lol! That's a lotta semen talk outside of a TTC thread! )

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page