OK..just took Castor Oil - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 05-28-2004, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well...I thought I would put up a post regarding my experience with this stuff. (For anyone who might be interested) I took 1 Tablespoon over the last 30 minutes. I put it in the belnder with some milk, ice and some really yummy mocha frappe mix that I LOVE but don't drink when I'm pregnant. I figured I could splurge a little since I'm going to be getting rid of it so quickly. :LOL I feel completely fine right now and if things haven't started moving I'll take another 1 tablespoon in an hour and see how things go!

I'm just shy of 41 weeks and a VBAC. At my MW appt. today I was dialted to 2, cervix was soft, posterior to midline and about 50% effaced. We both talked about the chance this may not get things moving due to the unfavorableness of my cervix but I figured it couldn't hurt to try!

Oh - and for those of you wondering why I'm trying to get things moving? Multiple reasons...to avaoid another c-section (last time my little guy was a wee too big!) - a pitocin induced labor - husband is off next 4 days (I know, silly) - Mom is in town for next 4 days (shes a flight attendant and our ONLY babysitter/dogsitter) and in-laws are in town for the next 4 days....

I'll keep you posted!
#2 of 44 Old 05-28-2004, 07:03 PM

Good luck and I hope it works for you!
BTW- Make sure to maintain fluid intake so you don't get dehydrated.

DS 6 DD 8
#3 of 44 Old 05-28-2004, 07:26 PM

I believe you are going to need more that a tablespoon an hour. I took it in 2 oz increments over a period of two hours, I ended up with a full four oz.

Eat light and drink as much water, juice, etc as possible. I stayed hydrated by eating a lot of watermelon and drinking water. It will make you a little sick to your stomach.

I was also on the clock when I had my vbac. I was 40 weeks and they were going to do a repeat at 41. I came within an inch of doing castor oil which I swore I wouldn't do again. I'm sending you labor vibes.
#4 of 44 Old 05-28-2004, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

You know - I've had a few people tell me that I would need to take more - but My midwife (whos been practicing for 30 years) swears this is enough. Its also the recommended dose by Ina May Gaskin - a VERY highly regarded Midwife...we'll see! Thanks for the labor vibes!!
#5 of 44 Old 05-28-2004, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hope it works for you! Couldn't hurt to "get busy" to get that cervix softened up. You might also use some evening primrose oil internally. Wishing you a safe and speedy delivery!
#6 of 44 Old 05-28-2004, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Good Luck and Happy Baby to you!

#7 of 44 Old 05-28-2004, 10:25 PM

Good luck with your VBAC! Let us know what happens!
#8 of 44 Old 05-29-2004, 08:17 AM

How are you feeling today? Did it work for you?
#9 of 44 Old 05-29-2004, 08:25 AM

Hi! I took the Inamae dose with Joy but it took two days to get going! Happy laboring hope your birth is wonderful
#10 of 44 Old 05-29-2004, 10:24 AM

Our birth center recommends one ounce at 8 am, with an additional dose at noon. No others, no larger doses (can anyone say colon-blow?). If it doesn't work, wait a couple of days and take again. If it doesn't work, that is because you aren't ready (and by that I don't just mean that your cervix isn't favorable, or that you aren't mentally ready; remember that the baby is involved in the labor process, too).

We have *great* results with this. And, though the ideal would be to simply let things happen on their own, the standards of care of our area (the standards to which we are held; doesn't matter that this area is completely backward in its medical care) and the rules of our accreditation mean that if a mama with a firm due date doesn't have her baby by 42 weeks, she has to transfer to the hospital.

Typically if it is going to work, you are having a baby that evening, or at least well into the process.

Dukeswalker, I hope you have a GREAT VBAC. And we are all anxiously awaiting your birth story.
#11 of 44 Old 05-29-2004, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Well - it was an interesting evening/early morning...I took the dose of 1 oz around 1:45pm. By 5 pm I had gone to the bathroom - but it was all pretty normal, no horror stories and definately nothing to write home about...just a good ol' normal bm (pleasant huh? ) Then about 10-15 minutes later I began having pretty irregular contractions. Around 8pm they were coming every 10 minutes and some were getting a little uncomfortable. DH and I hit the hay (and took a roll in it ) around 11pm and they were still coming pretty regular- but now about every 7 minutes - They came ALL night and were waking me up because they were getting pretty darn uncomfortable. I woke up multiple times rubbing my tummy and I flipped and flipped and flipped trying to "find" a comfortable position to keep snoozing. Well....the last time I woke up was 5 am and after that I slept like a baby....So, apparently they stopped.

Here it is, 8:30 am and I'm sipping on a fruit-yogurt-castor smoothie with 1 oz in it...Again, I figured it can't hurt anything!

I'll let you know how it goes!
#12 of 44 Old 05-29-2004, 10:44 PM

:

I'm curious to know if it worked since it's been about 12 hours. I hope you're in labor right now!

Be sure to keep us posted sometime over the next few days.

DS 6 DD 8
#13 of 44 Old 05-29-2004, 11:29 PM

:

Keeping an eye on you also, Artist Mama, due May 31, 2004.

Good luck to all of you expectant mamas!
#14 of 44 Old 05-29-2004, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just chugged the 2 oz castor oli / vodka/ orange juice cocktail, and let me tell you it was nasty. DH contributed a 30-minute cervical massage, which at least has gotten him familar with my inside parts , and I've been taking black/blue cohosh tincture for a couple of hours now.

The problem is, my chosen castor oil cocktail was sooooo nasty that I know I can't repeat it in one hour as per the instructions. I will have to try something else. The vodka comppnent is recommended by many practitioners, but it is SO vomitous, esp. after all these months with no booze.
#15 of 44 Old 05-29-2004, 11:46 PM

I wouldn't take the vodka. Alcohol is a known muscle relaxer--that is not what you want!!!!
#16 of 44 Old 05-29-2004, 11:54 PM

Well, I sure won't be taking any more vodka - maybe ever! It was supernasty.

I'm thinking I might scramble another dose in eggs, as Ina May suggests.
#17 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

2nd Update:

OK - so here I am - still very much pregnant! After taking the 1 oz dose this am I ended up having very regular contractions all day long. The effects of the castor oil weren't a problem..Nothing nasty like I've heard from other moms. Around 8 pm I hopped in the tub with my dd and they stopped...Nothing!

So - everyone will just have to wait! I gave it a whirl and obviously she will come when she is good and ready.

I'm supposed to go in for a NST (non stress test) tomorrow (I'll be 41w) but I think I'll play hooky. She is moving and jamming so much that I have no worries.

Thanks for all the good wishes!
#18 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 04:35 AM

Sorry it didn't work for you!

I'm having some painful contrax (as opposed to the painless BH I had all along), and I just started blue/black cohosh to try and keep them going. I was not able to take another dose of castor oil though - despit being hungry and eating a good dinner, I am still nauseous from the first dose. I think I am actually going to throw up at some point, which will hopefull get things going or stop things definitively. I did not get the castor oil out of my system the other way, don't know why...
#19 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 12:55 PM

I just wanted to share my experiences with castor oil.

Castor oil will only work if your body is ready to go into labor. I've taken it to "speed things along" for 3 of my pregnancies. I should mention that I usually have a long prodromal(sp.??) labor, I have many hours of contrax 10-15 min. apart off and on for about 4-7 days and finally get sick of it and take castor oil to get contrax regular. I also insert evening primrose oil capsules to help soften the cervix. So.....the first time I took the 1 oz in the OJ concoction (no vodka), brought on horrible cramping and a lot of diarrhea, and then strong contrax about 5 min. apart an hour later. The second time I took 1 tablespoon in OJ, brought on slight cramping, 1 diarrhea run, and strong contrax 5 min. apart about an hour later. Third time I took 2 tablespoons, (I wanted to take what I had taken the time before, but couldn't remember if it was 1 or 2 tbs. so I took 2 to make sure and boy, did I regret it!!) horrible cramping, lots of diarrhea, and contrax 5 min. apart about 3 hours later. All 3 labors were 6 hours start to finish (I didn't take anything with my 1st pregnancy/labor).

After doing a lot of research on castor oil and its use for bringing on labor contractions, for this, my fifth pregnancy/birth, I will not take castor oil again in any dosage, I think it can definitely pose some risks to the baby (I know, my last three babies were perfectly healthy, but, why take chances?). I will however take evening primrose oil, internally and inserted/externally and some blue/black cohosh if I get really impatient again, oh and I drink lots of rasberry leaf tea (made by Traditional Medicinals) throughout the pregnancy, I really believe it is helpful, especially during the recovery period. (Oh, and I walk lots & lots...... at the park, up and down stairs, around the block, at the mall, etc. ..... when I start getting all those contrax at the end of the pregnancy!)

edited to fix mistakes

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#20 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't get it...why does it work? If it works by causing diarrhea which irritates the uterus, couldn't something else a little more pleasant be eaten, like lots of dried fruit and juice?
#21 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 03:57 PM

Has anyone tried the method of using an electric breat pump to bring on labor? I've heard it works great but never tried it... Just curious.
#22 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 04:16 PM

Greaseball - it works because it releases some sort of hormone (can't remember the name -starts with a p. I'll have to get back to you) that makes your intestines cramp up, and in turn your uterus. Its kind of like when you get really bad menstrual cramps and it gives you bad diarrhea.
#23 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 06:04 PM

Well, I had my baby and a really great labor, but I don't know if the castor oil had anthing to do with it. Even now, after two meals and the whole birth experience, I feel nauseous thinking about that oil/vodka/o.j. concotion. I'd like to believe that the other things I tried yesterday - black/blue cohosh and cervical massage - were what did the trick.

Anyhow, my babe is out and I have one day left on my abx and I just had the best pee I've had since this whole UTI thing got started, and I STILL don't know if I'd recommend castor oil to another mama. It is repugnant.

And Greaseball, believe me I know EXACTLY how you feel about wanting to get the baby out, but when I was speeding through my five-hour labor with no breaks and no chance to adjust to what was happening, I wondered whether I would have been happier with a non-induced, slower labor. I was very lucky to be in a place where epidurals are not offered. Since the baby was coming so fast, I probably would have accepted one and wound up with worse tearing, less responsive baby etc.
#24 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 06:23 PM

Noooo...not thinking of trying it! It sounds gross! But I'd consider if I went much over 42 weeks (I know babies born after 42-43 weeks can be just fine, but I have to go back to school on June 21 and I'm rapidly outgrowing my clothes and shoes, and can barely drive the car!) or if there were some kind of medical problem. Still, if I had to induce, it would be nice if I could just eat a huge bag of dried cranberries.
#25 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 08:59 PM

Mamamaya:

I do not know of a hormone that begins with a "p", but castor oil and most other laxatives act by stimulating the Peristalsis action of the small and large intestines.

The "contracting" action and consequent "cramping" feeling that you feel with diarrhea with intestinal distress and with labor contractions are often indistinguishable because both of them are carried to the brain on the same "party line" or nerves and are centered in the same primitive part of the brain.

I think.

TMI?
#26 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Keeping an eye on you also, Artist Mama, due May 31, 2004.

Re: Nipple stimulation. The hormone released is Oxytocin (similar to pitocin but nicer ).

Smithy: Congrats!

DS 6 DD 8
#27 of 44 Old 05-30-2004, 11:53 PM

the "p" in question is prostaglandin. epo contains natural prostaglandin, as does semen. there is also an synthetic form used in labor induction, as far as i know.

here is what my mw told me about CO: as the uterus grows in late pg, the fundus pushes up into the loops of intestine; they are essentially "hugging" the uterus. you should eat a big meal, to the point of feeling slightly uncomfortably full, then after 30 mins have elapsed, take 2-4 oz of CO. as the oil forces its way out of the intestines, it causes harder than normal peristaltic waves. these waves massage the uterus, encouraging it to contract on its own. i'm by no means any type of expert, of course. just repeating what she told me. and i don't consider that it worked for me. i took the first dose the morning of 41w6d(sat). another that late afternoon. nothing but the worst runs i ever had. another dose at 42w1d(mon). my water had broken that a.m. as i got off my waterbed, so i thought it would work for sure. nope. labor started tues. p.m. around 4 or 5. ds came wed, 2:44 a.m., 42w3d, by csec, but that's another story.

ETA: i used my sister's PIS for like 2 weeks. nothing. i thought later that i should have tried nursing her 9mo dd; she would have let me, did actually 3 mo later. maybe you could find a close friend who would let you try? of course, it's up to the baby in the end!
#28 of 44 Old 05-31-2004, 12:15 AM

Yes, yes --- prostaglandin!!!! OMG!! Thank you so much. That has been driving me crazy all day. It must be pregnancy induced amnesia or something....
#29 of 44 Old 05-31-2004, 12:45 AM

I tried, uh, swallowing something else known to contain prostaglandins a few days ago and still nothing. Baby must not be ready...
#30 of 44 Old 05-31-2004, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not really sure "how" it works. Because if its the stimulant laxative effect it has, why then, if it didn't have a laxative effect on me did it produce contractions?? My dh is a pharmacist and he agrees with what I've read regarding your irritated bowels produce a prostagladin effect - but again- my bowels were't really irritated. Who knows?? As my dh says, if taking a chunk of grass and sticking it up your butt gets rid of your headache - who cares how it works! (classy I know )

I go in on Tues to see my MW - and most likely she'll want to send me in for a NST. I'm thinking of asking her if we can just wait a bit longer. I mean this little one is still very much rocking and rolling. I'll have her check me then and if things down there look more favorable I might try the castor oil again.

Those of you who have tried the blue cohosh...Where in the world did you find it and how did you take it? ticture, tes, pills...???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page