Birth sling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2004, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I watched that unconv births show and saw the neatest thing. A sling for birthinG! I so want one of those!!! I wonder if hospitals have them too at all? Where would you get one and how would you suspend it for a home birth? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2004, 01:16 PM

I saw that too and thought it was the neatest thing! I also really liked the birth stool...off to email my midwife and ask her about them LOL!

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
Old 06-08-2004, 01:35 PM

Are you mamas talking about some sort of fabric suspended from the ceiling that a laboring mom can hang from, kinda by her armpits? (think of a child on a swing, lying on the swing seat on her tummy.)

I think that would be awesome, and I have heard doulas talk about doing wonderfully creative things with a hospital bed sheet, knotted, stuck in a doorway, with the door shut...that makes a something mom could hang onto, pull on...maybe in a posh L&D room with an industrial-strength shower curtain rod, you could hang a bedsheet over that in a cool way--or dad could stand on the hospital bed, with the hospital bed elevated, holding the bedsheet, and mom could have it slung in her armpits that way? Just a few ideas, ways to actually use a hospital L&D to help a woman birth her baby (instead of tucking her into the bed, to rest patiently and quietly until reaching complete dialation.)
Old 06-08-2004, 01:36 PM

Wasn't that great? One more thing for me to figure out how to make!

Wasn't it also wonderful that Discovery Health finally aired a birth show that didn't need the title "Baby Story - Path to an Epidural/C-Section" ? I emailed Discovery and thanked them for airing it!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:25 PM

I've been thinking about that sling all day! I can't imagine how we could rig one up at home, but I'm planning on asking my midwife about it tonight.

My almost-3 year old ds watched most of the show with me, and got SO excited to see the babies come out! He was a little concerned about the pushing noises, but once I explained them he was fine. "They say 'OUCH'!!"

Then after the show, he told me that he needs to see his Lila, and she needs to come out. Not too much longer!

I'm so glad we watched that show together. I wish that my Mom could have seen the water birth baby with the cord wrapped twice around his neck and twice around his belly.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:26 PM

My kids watched it with me too. My 4 yo DS was very interested and is so exicted about having this baby at home. He though all the noises the moms made were really cool and wanted to know what sound I made when I pushed him out. My 2 yo DD just started screaming copying the woman in the tub with the red top LOL! DH just rolled his eyes

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
Old 06-08-2004, 08:34 PM

I said the same thing about the sling! "I WANT THAT!" It didn't look like it would be that hard to make- like tinyshoes said, you could even use a sheet. And then you'd just need to locate a rafter in the ceiling, and screw a big hook into it. I remember in Bradley class during my first pregnancy, they recommended that position, but you were supposed to have your *partner* hold you suspended in his arms. I thought "Yeah, that would last about a minute and a half!"

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 06-08-2004, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

That's so sad to me that women these days see birth as such a medical thing.

User Tag List