Did you stick to your birth plan - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 12-23-2015, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you stick to your birth plan

Hi everyone!

Just curious - how many people had a birth plan and were you able to stick to yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-30-2015, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
As I'm about to type I almost find it hard to know the answer.

DD1: planned a home birth but she was born at 27 weeks. So not enough time for a formal plan and all irrelevant anyways.

DD2: I would have loved to avoid being treated for GBS, and avoid having an IV or monitors; my goal was - if I can have a birth without needing any 'attachments' that would be great. I needed those things- or rather, they were indicated based on the standard of care, and I agree with that standard- because DD2 was still a little premature. And I'm happy I had those things, because she had trouble after birth and In typical mom fashion I felt guilty about everything I could have done a little differently- but no guilt about any of those interventIons.

My other big goal was skin to skin right after birth, delayed cord clamping, and to breastfeed her. Which are all absolutely the standard where I birthed- so really, the goal was having a baby healthy enough for those things. And I did get all that, but ... she didn't breastfeed until several days old due to her breathing issues, and was transferred to a different hospital shortly after birth. I couldn't hold her for a few days due to the breathing stuff.

I had an unmediated vaginal birth, which was also a preference but for me not much of a question- I have fast labors.

So, I am happy about how it went. I never said "no IV" I just said "only an IV if I need it" and I needed it. Etc. I don't know that expressing my wishes mattered in any particular way because the hospital is already great and my body and my baby were already going to do what they were going to do, with no input from me.

I don't know if that helpful
#3 of 4 Old 03-17-2016, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
I had a very detailed birth plan that covered everything we could think of, and it was mostly followed and respected even though the birth itself was pretty much a disaster. I was in multiple organ failure when my section started, and fell asleep immediately after they delivered my son. However, the surgeon had enough respect for us to still delay cord clamping as requested and to attempt to stitch me up the way I wanted (that didn't end up happening, but she tried.)

We also had a doula, and about 50 copies of our plan to hand to every single person who walked into the room at any time. We made it very very clear that this wasn't an optional thing. That said, it also included that we were open to changes in the plan at any time for any reason as long as those changes were discussed and agreed on. We had no care forced on us, though we had plenty that we didn't plan on - antibiotics due to extremely long labor, an epidural, etc.

-----------------------------------------------
Michelle

Affiliate photographer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Infant bereavement photography
#4 of 4 Old 04-14-2016, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wrote a long and detailed birth plan with #1 and a bullet point postcard with #2 and nothing went according to plan with either one I think the process of writing both was extremely valuable for me and DH in figuring out where our wishes might differ from standard hospital practice, and I think the postcard length is valuable for the hospital staff. So I plan to write one again even though I haven't had one 'followed'

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page