unoficial poll .. When did you deliver - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 06-28-2004, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1)how many days were you when you went into labor?
2 days before my due date.

2) How acurate were your dates ?? meaning do you think your due date was even calculated correctly based on your real cycle or conception or ultrasound??
I knew the day of conception, so very accurate.

2) did your water break before labor? ( they say this is uncommon)
Yes. I had just gone to bed around 12:30 at night, when I felt a gentle "pop" and fluid started gushing out of me. It was all clear. I called our midwife who said to try and get some sleep. I was having mild contractions. I actually managed to sleep (DH said he tried too, but was awake the rest of the night.) In the morning I woke up with no contractions, still leaking fluid. I wound up having to take Castor oil that evening to get the ball rolling.

3) What symptoms did you experience before going into labor???? Did you have any idea it was coming the days or weeks before??? No signs whatsoever. DS was born on a Sunday, and I did have a strong intuition the week before that he would be born during the weekend (full moon.)

(4) any other thoughts you think would help first time moms know about regarding due dates and labor ( besides that they are pretty inconclusive I agree with what everybody else is saying. Babies come when they are ready, due date or no due date. For labor, try to create the safest most relaxing environment for yourself as possible.
#32 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 02:46 AM

Noticed I didn't say WHEN 3 and 4 were born.

Again, 1, 36 weeks c-section following induction after prom.
2. Labor at 37.5 - 38 weeks, repeat section.
3. OP baby, after 3 days of active labor, born vaginally on "due date."
4. 42.5 weeks, "no change" day before she was born. Woke up in labor, easy birth 8-9 hours later.
5. 42.5 weeks, induced due to my stupidity for finally agreeing to gbs test, prom. Another vbac.

Sorry, my original post should have been this concise!
#33 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 03:09 AM

1)how many days were you when you went into labor
I was 41 weeks exactly with BOTH babies.

2) How acurate were your dates ?? meaning do you think your due date was even calculated correctly based on your real cycle or conception or ultrasound??
Very accurate. My cycles were always 28 days like clockwork and I took a pregnancy test the first day my period was late. My early ultrasounds (10 weeks) were the same as my dates by LMP.

No. With ds#1 it broke about 30 minutes after I noticed my first contractions (about 7 hours before he was born). With ds#2 it broke about 6 minutes before he was born.

3) What symptoms did you experience before going into labor???? Did you have any idea it was coming the days or weeks before???
DS#1 - About 15 hours before I went into labor I had my first vaginal exam, but no membrane stripping. Right after that I started spotting. About 12 hours before I felt very anxious. Like I was about to jump out of my skin. I couldn't sit still.
DS#2 was the same, minus the vaginal exam. OVerwhelming sense that I would jump out of my skin! I also had some pretty nicely patterned, but painless contractions about from about 12 hours before until I fell asleep about 5 hours before "Real" labor started.

4) any other thoughts you think would help first time moms know about regarding due dates and labor ( besides that they are pretty inconclusive).
Plan from the start of your pregnancy have a baby two weeks after your due date! When I'm asked my due date I say, "Well, the doctor say July 28, so I'm sure we'll have a baby by mid-August!" This lowers everyone's expectations, especially moms!
#34 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 03:35 AM

4) any other thoughts you think would help first time moms know about regarding due dates and labor ( besides that they are pretty inconclusive)
Do not put any emphasis on your due date, ITA with the other postsers, add 2 weeks to your date and don't settle on one specific day, just pick a time frame. Its soooooo hard to wait the last few days, keep yourself really busy doing all the things you wont be able to do while caring for a newborn!
#35 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 10:02 AM

Well, I gave myself a EDD of 3/18, based on my cycle, my CNM, said 3/15 based on LMP, and an early ultrasound said 3/12, Cole was born on 3/25...so he was either 41 wks, 41 w 3d, or 41 w 5d.

2) How acurate were your dates ?? meaning do you think your due date was even calculated correctly based on your real cycle or conception or ultrasound?? see above

yes, water broke while i was sleeping, got up to pee about 2am and noticed it then, contrx started at about 3am

3) What symptoms did you experience before going into labor???? Did you have any idea it was coming the days or weeks before???
i think i had a little diarrhea the night before my water broke
4) any other thoughts you think would help first time moms know about regarding due dates and labor ( besides that they are pretty inconclusive)
Have a project that you save until you are due, that way when you go past your EDD you have something to keep you busy!! I made a quilt for my son while I was waiting. Also, someone else mention family history, I think that's a good one too. My mom was 2 weeks late with me, so I never really expected to go on my EDD.
#36 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 10:16 AM

well I went into PTL at 31 weeks but was stopped and finally delivered at 36 weeks.

Not too sure. I had some doubt that I may have been further along. My u/s always measured the baby a few weeks ahead but the OB never changed my due date.

not the first at PTL but it did rupture then finally broke when I reached the hospital.

I had no clue when I was in PTL, I was contracting but never felt it. The only idea I had when I finally did go was my water leaked so I was pretty sure that was gonna be it.

well just that baby will come when it's ready be it a few weeks early or a few weeks late.
#37 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 10:33 AM

how many days were you when you went into labor

I went into labor on my due date, so I was exactly 40 weeks.

How acurate were your dates ?? meaning do you think your due date was even calculated correctly based on your real cycle or conception or ultrasound??

Right on the nose. Both real cycle and ultrasound had same date.

did your water break before labor? ( they say this is uncommon)

No

What symptoms did you experience before going into labor???? Did you have any idea it was coming the days or weeks before???

Lost plug the day I went into labor. Took about 5 hours from plug loss to contractions starting. No other symptoms before.

any other thoughts you think would help first time moms know about regarding due dates and labor ( besides that they are pretty inconclusive)

Sometimes they are spot on!
#38 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 10:51 AM

10 days late

I happened to know my conception date. Based on that combined with the length of my cycle (not average) that would have put my due date on Nov. 25th. It was changed to the 22nd and I had the baby Dec. 4th.

Nope - not until I began pushing.

I began loosing my mucus plug at least 3 weeks or so before going into labor. I had also been dilated at least 1 cm since 32 weeks. I know I had some effacement progress before labor as well. No other symptoms that I was aware of.

Not to put too much stock into them! I'd say to do yourself a favor and figure (if the due date is given for the 15th of June for example) to tell yourself and anyone who asks that the baby is due somewhere in the month of June. Due dates can suck the life right out of you at the end of the pregnancy - especially if you go longer than you "expect" to.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#39 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 12:37 PM

My 1st came naturally, my 2nd was induced, so I'll answer these based on my 1st:

1)how many days were you when you went into labor: one week before my due date (39 weeks)

2) How acurate were your dates ?? meaning do you think your due date was even calculated correctly based on your real cycle or conception or ultrasound?? I'm lucky, my cycle is about 28-29 days, I knew when I was ovulating and knew when I conceived, so the due date was really close IMO

2) did your water break before labor? ( they say this is uncommon): no, during labor

I had no clue! It felt exactly like my BH contrax at first. My dh figured out I was in labor before I did, cuz I kept having BH with no rest. I guess I was in denial LOL

4) any other thoughts you think would help first time moms know about regarding due dates and labor ( besides that they are pretty inconclusive).

Don't tell anyone your due date. I'm serious!!! You will get all these annoying phone calls and ?s about "why isn't it here yet?" and pressuring you to get it induced. Make up a fake due date or just give a wide couple week range where you think baby will be born if you are not comfy fibbin'
#40 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 12:43 PM

With my first child, 38 weeks and 2 days from LMP.

2) How accurate were your dates ??

Very accurate; I charted and knew the date of conception.

3) did your water break before labor? ( they say this is uncommon)

Yes, and it did with my second birth as well.

4) What symptoms did you experience before going into labor???? Did you have any idea it was coming the days or weeks before???

I had a slight water leak 2 days before her birth so I did get an exam done, but I was not dilated at that time.

5) any other thoughts you think would help first time moms know about regarding due dates and labor ( besides that they are pretty inconclusive)

I agree with PPs that it's helpful to think of it as more of a "due month". With my second child (DS), everyone (even my MW) was watching me like a hawk after 37 weeks because my first was a 38 weeker, and it started to drive me crazy. My due date was 1/6/04 (again I knew the date of conception). My parents and Grandma were here during the holidays and I was having tons of BH contractions all the time. They left on Sunday morning and I went into labor on Sunday night. As soon as I didn't feel stressed out, my water broke and the real contractions came within a half hour. He was born the day before his due date.

Each baby has his or her own timetable, and it often has nothing to do with the due date.

J
#41 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 05:07 PM

DD #1 42wks exactly DD#2 41wks 5days
DD #1 Not sure at all. Based on when I remembered my LMP
DD #2 Very sure. DH was in a wedding and gone most of month. Had sex only one time

DD#1 Broke before
DD #2 Broke during labor at about 9cms

I had no idea with DD #1. With DD #2 I lost my plug the morning I went into labor
Don't put to much faith in them. Let nature take its course. It won't fail you

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#42 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 05:42 PM

I was 37 weeks, 3 days with ds 1 and 38 weeks, 6 days with ds #2.

My pg was dated by LMP with my first pg and was dead on accurate since I had 28 day cycles and knew when I concieved because we were trying. With ds #2 it was dated by u/s because we were not trying and I wasn't keeping track of my periods and forgot the date of my last one.

no

I lost my mucous plug aprox. 2 days beforehand both times. I had loose stools and just "felt" different. A tad flu like almost. I felt pretty good during most of my pg, but right before labor I felt like I needed to rest.

I would try as hard as you can not to worry about it and just let your body do it's thing. Way easier said than done. I was lucky to go early both times and I know that this time I will be pretty antsy if I go past 39 weeks. Also, my bp goes up in late pg along with lots of swelling, so I'm not sure it would be such a good thing for me to go over 40 weeks, but maybe my body realized that. I think that for the vast majority if we just trust our bodies we'll be okay. Also, towards the end of your pg if you feel like resting, rest. Don't push yourself. I think that's your body's way of telling you to slow down so that you can save your energy for labor.
#43 of 51 Old 06-30-2004, 08:35 PM

1)how many days were you when you went into labor I was 40 weeks, 6 days.

Ariana was born 6 days after the due date I came up with based on conception.

No.

I was 1.5cm's dialated and 80% effaced 10 days before she was born. I was 3cm's and 100% 3 days before she was born. I had a sharp pain here and there the the final 2 weeks, but nothing real major.

#44 of 51 Old 07-01-2004, 01:21 AM

1)how many days were you when you went into labor? i was 37 weeks along!! it shocked me that i came early like that (i know, early compared to what???). when dd was born the doc said she "looked" like she was only a week or so old...how can they tell this? i don't know. i guess that everything was working right and properly on her (:

gosh...i knew my due date was off...i actually figured that my real due date based on the day of conception was a few weeks b/f the read date...but ultrasound said differently and i figured not to change it would buy me some time with my midwife...you know, they said i could not go over 41 weeks AT ALL!! so i was greatful for the mess up!
yup. my water did that trickle thing...then contractions started.

i dropped a week before i had dd...same as my mom(: i had a hunch it would be earlier than expected
-kate
#45 of 51 Old 07-01-2004, 01:33 AM

On my due date.

We knew date of conception, so it was right on.

I had pre-labor all day, but didn't know that was what was happening. When my water broke, we knew what was going on!

From about noon on, I thought I was sick: had diarrhea, felt woozy, tired that kind of thing. Nothing in the days or weeks prior. My water broke around 6pm.

It's a crap-shoot! The big thing to remember is that baby comes when baby's ready. Period. Don't let anyone tell you different. Good luck!
#46 of 51 Old 07-01-2004, 01:32 PM

38 weeks with first, and my water broke before labor began, 36 weeks with my second and my water broke before my labor began, and 39 weeks with my third and my water broke before labor began.

I knew my due dates were right because I've always kept track of my cycles. Ultrasounds were ridiculous- one told me I had a big, 8 or 9 lb baby, and she weighed 5 lb 11 oz. Give me a break....

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#47 of 51 Old 07-01-2004, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=CJ 5]We all know that due dates are circumspect at best. With inductions it is hard to figure out how long woman usually go. I learned in bradley that it is usually 41 weeks 1 day on average. So I thought I would ask you moms to post.

So for your first baby if you did not induce could you please answer the following.

You didn't ask for my perspective (I had a c-section) but I'll answer anyway! 42 wks, 3 days at c/b date.early ultrasound at 10 wks determined the due date. I conceived on the pill. I had no symptoms of labor. No Braxton-Hicks, no back pain, never lost mucus plug, etc etc...

My advice for first time moms...Listen to your body. I was too scared to wait longer. I don't know that I would have gone into labor if I had waited longer. Ds was not in a position to come out vaginally, and his heart rate was starting to dip into the high 90s by c/b date. I was determined to birth naturally. We attended Bradley and hired a doula. I was doing bigtime gardening and walking for weeks before he was born to "try to get things started". We did chiropractic (Webster), moxabustion, and herbs. But for whatever reason, it didn't happen for me. It was more important that he be safe than that I have my ideal birth, and at the time it seemed like the right decision to have the c/b. Now, I don't know.
#48 of 51 Old 07-01-2004, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
38 weeks

EDD was calculated on cycle.

CNM broke it when I started pushing

I knew my cervix was ripe with some dilation, I had lost my plug several weeks before, I knew it would happen eventually!

plan on going over the "date", I kept telling myself that baby wasn't going to come until 42 weeks, so when she decided to appear at 38, it was a nice surprise!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#49 of 51 Old 07-01-2004, 11:56 PM

40weeks + 5 days -- no induction whatsoever

It was calculated based on first day of last cycle.

No, it was broken just short before delivery.

Absolute feeling for nesting. I never do puzzles, but here the couple of nights before birth I got up to work on a 1000piezes-puzzle. Amazing the patience I had these nights ;-) Ow, and the evening before birth started, I had a terrible urge for sex! ;-) Luckily, dh was consenting

Hope these answers can be of any value,
Fiikske

Belgian mom, Polish blood, 2 little girls running around (2003/2005), and a little boy (nov 2009).
#50 of 51 Old 07-02-2004, 12:23 AM

Quote:
39wks 2 days

Quote:
I have no clue. I was around 15 weeks when I found out I was pg. I was only ever given the edd that the dr calculated by my estimated LMP. If it changed nobody told me.

Quote:
Not with my first, they broke my water at 6cm when it seemed like my labour had stalled out after 2 hours.lol

Quote:
I could write a book on this one. I had my first bh's at 38weeks, I didn't even know they were bh's until the nurse said that the pressue I felt against my pubic bone was bh. At 38weeks 5 days I started having contractions. I would get 4-5 in 20minutes then they'd go away for an hour or so and come back in the same patter. The next day I had it the same except it was 6-8 in 10minutes and they'd go away for 30minutes and then come back. The next morning(39weeks) I lost my mucous plug, and the dr was po'd at me because I had not called him and told him about the contractions or mp(I had an appt with him 3 hours after I lost it). By now I was having to do some minor breathing & concentrating through the contractions that were still coming every 1-2minutes. The day after the contractions were still there, by 6pm I now know I was in labour but I didn't at the time. I remember talking to my sister on the phone and telling her that they felt like strong menstrual cramps(she seemed disappointed,lol). By 9pm I couldn't sit still. I went to bed at midnight, woke up at 1. By 3 I couldn't get comfortable so I went to the uncomfortable couch. By 5:30 I was kinda whining through them and dh came and brought me back to bed. At 7:30 we called the hospital to see if they thought I was in labour. They said to time them for 30minutes and call back I had 10 from 30seconds to 8 minutes apart. They said they couldn't tell if I was in labour but if I couldn't handle the pain to come in. We went in at 9:30 more for me to see if I really was in labour or not. I was 4-5cm, she was born 6 hours later. When I went to the hospital I really did not think I was in labour, I thought it had to feel different.lol I have no idea when I went into labour, when I had my 3rd and there were complications with the labour the nurses asked me if I have fast labours and I just laughed at them. I have long first stages and short active labours(last one was 18minutes).

Quote:
It's nothing but an estimate, the baby will come when it's ready. When in labour remember each contraction is 1 less that you'll have until you see the baby.
#51 of 51 Old 07-02-2004, 02:16 AM

[QUOTE=anothermama]1)how many days were you when you went into labor

43 weeks 1 day

Dates were very accurate, based on my cycle.

No

I had lots of prelabour! back ache...crampy legs..bloody show..lost my plug all about a week before.

I think all moms cook differently and we need to respect that fact you know? all babies develop in utero differently as in the first few years of life!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page