Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW, mine is in my freezer too
#92 of 98 Old 07-02-2004, 08:18 PM

every time I started getting moody after DD2 was born, DH would ask me if I'd eaten any placenta that day
I'll say it again, and again if I have to.
After my first was born, I had pretty bad depression and trauma and my milk didn't come in for *six* days! Yeah, that's mostly because of the nature of her birth, but if eating the placenta might mean that wouldn't happen again after my second DD was born, it wouldn't matter to me how gross I thought it was, I was going to give it a try. (It wasn't gross at all though, not near as bad as brussel sprouts IMO)
FWIW, my milk came in on day two and I never had anything remotely resembling ppd. I only had red lochia for one or two days, too. that may or may not be due to eating the placenta, but I think it really helped me in so many ways. Every time I ate a little of it, I immediately felt energized, more healthy, clear-headed, and better able to handle being a mom to a new baby. That in contrast to feeling totally overwhelmed and unable to cope after DD1 was born.
#93 of 98 Old 07-02-2004, 08:33 PM

This is absolutely amazing. I am about to : just sitting here thinking what a difference mine might have made for me and kept me from going through my PPD hell twice. :
These stories are so neat.
#94 of 98 Old 07-03-2004, 05:01 PM

I worked as a mother/baby nurse for 4 yrs and I think the hospital has to let you keep the placenta if you ask to. You may have to wait until sfter it hasbeen inspected.
Also, you may have to claim it is for a religious ceremony.? I am not sure. I have helped several pagan women with the ceremony of eating it afterwards at the hospital in our town...... but I am not sure what you would have to say to be allowed to take it home in your individual hospitals. I just know that you should be able to.
Hopefully everyone will be able to homebirth and then it won't be a problem.
#95 of 98 Old 07-03-2004, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My first birth was in a hospital and I was asked if I wanted to keep the placenta. It had never occurred to me; I said "I can't imagine what I'd do with it!" They said, "Well, it's yours, so you can have it if you want."
#96 of 98 Old 07-03-2004, 08:38 PM

Wow, I'm so glad I was wrong! I've just heard stories about women not being able to keep their placentas.
#97 of 98 Old 07-04-2004, 12:40 AM

If women are ever denied their placentas, the hospital is acting against the law. It is yours, it comes from your body and you are entitled to keep it. Period, the end. If I have my spleen removed I get to keep that too.
#98 of 98 Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 PM

thanks gals. I'm definetly going to make the essence this time. What a waste I didn't with Darlene....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page