Ok, fess up, are you offended by sterile draping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, please tell me I am not the only one! My family & friends think I am nuts. Why are women still being draped in sterile medical sheets during normal birth? Are we dirty? What is being protected? Our eyes, in case we glance at our vaginas (shudder!)?

I know lots of people IRL that beleive many of the same things I do, and they are not the least offended with being covered up with these things during birth.

(And yes, I know, there a million more important things that care providers (aka: ob's!!!) are doing that are much more serious and dangerous, but I thought we would lighten up our usual serious chatter )

So, am I nuts to be bothered by this (not that I will listen )? Any others out there with me?
#2 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 AM

Didn't happen during my hospital birth, in fact I had a mirror up until the very end when my OB came to help the babe out! They did lay a blanket on me at the end for when baby was laid on my chest. I'd be bothered too!
#3 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am bothered by this too!!!!! I watch shows like A Baby Story, Birth Day, etc., and there is a stark contrast between some of the hospital practices. At some, the doctors wear gloves. And that is all in terms of medical gear. At some, they put on a full paper gown with head covering, big plastic face shield, and they drape the woman practically from neck to toe. And then, she is forced to lie there on her back so as not to disturb the draping. Give me a break! Umm, if you don't want to see/be exposed to blood... DON'T BECOME A DOCTOR!
#4 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 11:52 AM

Yep, it would piss me off, too. A mother does not need to be proteced from HERSELF with sterile drapings! A sterile draping obviously isn't protecting you from the doctor or nurse's germs...seems pretty pointless. I thought that kind of thing went out a long time ago - along with the swabbing nipples with alcohol, and perineal shaving
#5 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 12:13 PM

That makes me nuts when the doctors look like they are handling nuclear waste instead of a babe. With my dd we had to transfer to hospital, when I was pushing the nurse started to drape me and put blankets on my chest for the baby. Here I am pushing with my first after 36 hours of back labor and yelling "take that off, I want skin to skin, skin to skin" Cracked my whole birthing team up! But I got her right on my chest the way it should be.

Robyn wife to Eric
SAH, bfing, cosleeping mama to Raven, Dakota, and Zebulon
#6 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 12:16 PM

I only had the drapes for my 3rd- which was a c-section. My first 2- doc wore gloves and scrubs- that's it- no face mask or drapes.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 12:46 PM

I dont know that it offends me, but I do think its silly. Baby pretty much has moms germs already, so no need to get paranoid about it!!! LOL
#8 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 12:47 PM

I didn't have the draping....I was on the blankets/sheets I was on for the 2 days before DS made his presence. The doctor had a hat, gown, glasses, and gloves on though...but noone else in the room had any protective stuff on...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#9 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 02:05 PM

I always thought draping over mom was for protecting mom's possible modesty, like when you have your annual gyno visit. Never occurred to me that they did it for germ protection (which is just whacky!).
#10 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 02:35 PM

Who has modesty when they're pushing? :LOL

I had a nurse trying to put a sheet over me at my first birth, and I just kept pushing it off....until she said "We're wheeling you out in the hallway - keep it on!"
#11 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd be pissed. Throw them on the floor; they won't be sterile then.
#12 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 02:48 PM

It totally bugs me when I see it.

I delivered nude and on my hands and knees... not sure how I could've been draped even if someone wanted to. :LOL
#13 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 03:06 PM

My first was caught by an OB, and he just wore scrubs and gloves. I beld all over his shoes, something he joked about later!!

I had a midwife with my second and she just wore street clothes and gloves.

I would be offended by sterile drapes as well!
#14 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 03:35 PM

I was at my SILs birth and she was draped all over.

I was susposed to be holding her legs for her, and I accidentially touched her bare skin a bit, becuase the drapes didn't cover the bottoms of the legs.

The nurses let me know immediately that I was NOT to touch her skin! I actually jumped from the way she said it to me.

OTOH- During her labor, my SIL kept telling the nurses how crazy I was for having a HB (I was newly preg at the time) since I couldn't get an epidural. The nurses thought me having a HB was the coolest thing ever and even offered to help me find a MW if I needed one.
#15 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 03:43 PM

Most women should run from a hospital birth -- run, I say run. All that medical garb and medical procedures for a perfectly natural process of life. When did being pregnant and having a baby become a medical procedure to be dealth with medically???
So yes I am bothered by all the drappings etc. I'm so fed up I had my last baby at home and she will be the first of a few more to be born at home!
I moved like a wild woman hip swaying in the door frames in labor, who could have done that in a hospital. And to cover you up with plastic paper while you are hot as h--- pushing, I don't know why more women don't throw the stuff on the floor.
Just my opinion -- fun to bash the medical garb.
#16 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 03:46 PM

Perhaps it is starting to become a thing of the past like shaving your pubic area or giving an enema before birth? I gave birth at two diff hospitals and they didn't drape me
#17 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 03:51 PM

I had my first almost 14 years ago and have never been draped - nor was I shaved or any of that other BS they used to do, thank goodness. There is NO WAY those things would've stayed put, anyway!

My last two were waterbirthed, which kinda negates the sterility of anything :LOL

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#18 of 63 Old 06-29-2004, 04:20 PM

With my first DD it was a homebirth transport and I was draped from head to toe. They even taped up the nursing openings of the gown. I hate to see drapes on a woman. Birth is NOT sterile!! Why do people act like it is.

With my second DD I gave birth on the bed totally naked.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#19 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 12:51 AM

Yes, I'm offended by the practice of "draping" healthy birthing women in surgical garb!

My first two were c-sections, of course I was draped as I was laid out in the OR on a surgery table. BBBLACH!!!

My next three were born born on a bed with a midwife attending. No drapes.

I see this practice as one more attempt to make normal healthy birth resemble a surgical procedure. Of, course, sOB's are all too often performing some kind of surgery; if not c-sections, instrumental deliveries and/or episiotomies.
#20 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiZ
Perhaps it is starting to become a thing of the past like shaving your pubic area or giving an enema before birth? I gave birth at two diff hospitals and they didn't drape me
They STILL shave and enema at hospitals here in Taiwan - totally weird to me. I only assume that they drape, too, and I agree, it is a strange practice!
#21 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 02:58 AM

I was never draped for my hospital births. No stirrups either.

I'm not offended by the midwife wearing gloves and face shield. Universal precautions really dictates that health care providers do that for any procedure that may cause a splattering of blood or body fluids. Birth is pretty oozy! I feel better knowing my health care provider is protecting herself with all patients. That means she is less likely to infect me or my baby with something that she got from her last patient. Frankly I'd expect gloves and face shield from a homebirth midwife as well.

The face shield is much more patient friendly than a mask and goggles since you can see the person's whole face.
#22 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 03:02 AM

I wear gloves, but no face shield. I will never wear one.

Hmm....I think it just depends on the doc about the draping. But, it is silly - so is the wipe down with betadine.
#23 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 01:25 PM

I had a hospital transfer. They didn't cover me in anything (I had been naked at the birth center, put on a nightgown for the drive to the hospital, then got naked again), and the doctor had a mask and gloves. I remember what he was wearing because after I delivered my son, the doc was COVERED in drops of blood! I don't know if this is normal or not, but when I birthed I sent blood flying ALL OVER the delivery room! Blood landed on my family, doula, midwife, nurses, walls, furniture, etc. My mom thought it was funny and she photographed it all. She also made the doctor pose with the placenta for a picture :-)

Truvie
#24 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truvie
..when I birthed I sent blood flying ALL OVER the delivery room!
I did this w/my second baby...I was pushing uncontrollably b/c the damn nurses had made me wait so long, and WHOOSH!!! DD FLEW out of me and all the fluids splattered the MW right in the face!

I think she was rather grateful to have the face shield on.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#25 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 02:47 PM

I'm starting to see why so many people think that birth is messy and wouldn't do it at home because of the mess! However, I've yet to see a homebirth that was splattering and had blood on the walls. This is crazy! lol
#26 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 03:19 PM

Hmm, never really thought about it. I had both mine at home so it was a non-issue. I don't know if it would occur to me as something offensive - just dumb. I think the overly medicalization of birth just lends OB's to assume that the baby should be placed on something "clean" and also perhaps to protect your modesty (really, they're doing you a favor ).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#27 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When my mw's dropped off the birth kit, I found an iodine pad in there. I was freaking out, thinking they thought I was dirty and they were going to scrub me down with it, but it turns out it was only for their own hands after the birth.

That doesn't bother me.
#28 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
I'm starting to see why so many people think that birth is messy and wouldn't do it at home because of the mess! However, I've yet to see a homebirth that was splattering and had blood on the walls. This is crazy! lol
I sure hope that wasn't meant to be disparaging.

#29 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

So I guess I will respond to my own thread! I was draped for my 1st (hospital, ugh) and 2nd was born in water, out of hospital, so of course, no draping

The draping of mom drives me nuts !!!!!!!! I am glad I am not alone in this...
#30 of 63 Old 06-30-2004, 05:35 PM

YES! I've yet to mention it to anyone, but they did this to me during my first birth and I hated it. They did it at the last minute, right when I was ready to push him out. My dh was supposed to be holding my leg back and he touched my skin and got chastised for it He was not very happy about that, which is only one of the reasons he disliked my first OB so much. He actually mentioned it when we were interviewing our OB for our second birth. Also, I tried to reach down and grab the baby when he came out and the damn Dr. didn't want me touching him right away. Then a second later he put him on my chest. Weird, obsessive, and offensive, yes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page