Mothering Forum banner

SIL having a C-section today

698 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  applejuice 
#1 ·
My SIL is at the hospital waiting to have a C-section right now. She's in her 39th week. She's had a minor kidney infection which was being treated successfully with antibiotics, but she's been been having contractions about 7 min apart since Friday-ish. Nobody was worried, but now suddenly since the baby is breech and not engaging, her doc is freaking her out about going full into labor with a breech baby. He's given her the option of going today or waiting until next week, so it's obviously not a real emergency, but I think she's basically just tired of being pregnant...

This is her sixth pregnancy. She's never gone into labor naturally before, since she was induced with all the others, but she did manage to deliver all of her other kids vaginally. That said, I just can't see how the docs can be freaking out about a possible breech... seems to me she'd be more than capable of birthing a breech baby. Apparently they're not even going to try a version (is it too late for one?) or any kind of induction - they're just going for the cut. grr...

I really don't think she's been educated about the risks and recovery involved with a c/s. With her last 2 babies she was back at work in 2 days (she takes the baby to work with her.) I don't think she realizes that probably won't be a possibility this time... and I'm not sure if she gets any sort of pay while she's out...

I know this isn't about me and I'm not the one going through this and it's probably hard for her to make this decision, and I may not even be getting the whole story... but I feel so badly for her and for the baby. Sorry so long and thanks for reading... I just needed to vent a bit.

See less See more
#3 ·
What a bummer, I am so sorry for your sister. To have all those vag deliveries, and now a sections, that stinks! Breech vag deliveries here are just about extinct. Everyone is too scarred liability wise to do them. ONe of the OB's left that will still do one is great. However, the last one he offered to do, the mama decided not to. He truely was great, offering her all info on risks of breech vs. risks of c-section. He gave the mama time to make her own decision for her own body and baby. She decided she wouldn't risk head entrapment. (I was so hoping she was going to go for it, because I haven't seen one in a long time, but really I understand her fear) I think if it were me, I would have to be told that a breech vag was as safe as a head down vag before I would attempt it. (and we know that it is not) but if I had 5 vag deliveries all 8+pounds and this one was 6 pounds or so, I might go for it!

#4 ·
Thanks ladies. Well, my new nephew is here and I have to say he's just beautiful.
He was born at 4:40 yesterday afternoon, and weighed in at 7lbs 11oz.

DH and I went to visit them last night and it was just heart-wrenching. SIL didn't get to see him until after 8pm because (per my mom) "after a c/s they don't bring in the baby for 3-4 hours" (??) and she never did get to hold him or nurse last night at all because she was in so much pain. She's in a semi-private room, and they wouldn't even let my brother stay with her - he's stayed with her for all of her other kids, even slept on the floor or in a chair if he had to, but this is the first time she wasn't in a private room.

Very strange too... SIL has birthed 2 other babies at this hospital, and my sis has birthed one there, and it was always pretty pleasant and laid-back. But now it's like a super security zone. Guards and warning signs everywhere, we had to sign in and wear id badges, and we were only allowed to stay for a few minutes.

But I'm thankful that everyone is in good health, and I think they're set to head home in a few days.

#5 ·
I'm glad things went well. I was still in hospital 3 days later so her recovery will take some time.
Some hospitals make the stupidest rules when delivering via c/s, I was blessed there I guess. Her pain will get better. If she can't rest please let her ask for a heavy pain killer. It wasn't my first option as baby would have to stay in the nursery and have a bottle during the night, but I needed to sleep since that first night was nothing but pain! Send her our best wishes for a fast recovery and if she has more kids, there's always VBACs! I can't wait for mine!

#6 ·

I had a friend like this. She had three children naturally, and just decided to go in for a caesarean the fourth time...she was told it was the best thing to do...

She ended up with phlebitis and she had to have her jeans cut off of her and be put back into the hospital two days after she was discharged.

She also discovered her DH was fooling around behind her back with the babysitter...not a good time...life goes on, and you have to keep your head screwed on straight so you can deal with it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.