Mothering Forum banner

Could this be my period??

539 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  eilonwy 
#1 ·
I just gave birth 6 weeks ago and had a beautiful little boy. I had no tearing so recovery was easy with only about 2 weeks of light flow. Yesterday I began noticing some old blood and today the bright red flow started but not as heavy as my usual period with some slight cramping.

I believe I read somewhere in my travels that the body normally has some residual flow at the 6 week mark? Can anyone help me out with this? You would think I would have remembered this from nursing school. I am praying that this is not my period. And yes, I BF my baby every 2-3 hrs around the clock.

#2 ·
It most certainly could be AF
I start cycling at 8 weeks in spite of 2 hour or less nursing around the clock. I am also pregnant with #4 concieved at 6 months PP, exclusively BFing. You won't know for sure unless you chart and see a temp rise, or cycle again next month. Use protection if you don't want another one soon, just to be sure.

#3 ·
It's fairly common to have a hormonal bleed between 6 and 8 weeks, but it could also be your period. My bleeding mostly stopped w/ dd2 around 2 weeks, but I occasionally had an increase or started back up w/ flow, and I know I passed a clot/ had a brief heavy bleed around 6 weeks (as was very freaked out by it.) My PPROF was around 17 months.

#4 ·
Could be!! My DD was a non stop round the clock nurser, never had bottles or pacifiers. She would literally nurse for over an hour each time every couple hours. I was sure I'd go a year with out a period...BUT I got my first period 1 WEEK after my PP bleeding stopped. UGH!!! Talk about disappointing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.