Cesarean Birth Support Circle July/August 04 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 07-26-2004, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other thread was really long, so I thought I would start a new one.

I may have some interesting news to share this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 81 Old 07-26-2004, 04:33 PM

What, what???
#3 of 81 Old 07-26-2004, 04:42 PM

Signing in - Can't wait for interesting news ! Thought I'd have some, but unfortunately not, so SOMEBODY should

LisaG

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#4 of 81 Old 07-26-2004, 04:49 PM

Ohhhh ... looking forward to some news!
#5 of 81 Old 07-26-2004, 08:31 PM

Here I am... what's the news?
#6 of 81 Old 07-27-2004, 12:51 AM

I'll post a question while waiting for the news.

About post partum bleeding-I stopped bleeding about 3 days before the 8 week mark. At about 8 1/2 weeks, I bled again for a day or two after I did something and felt some pain around the incision site (figured maybe the internal incision hadn't healed all the way yet or something).

Now, at 11 weeks postpartum, I started bleeding again. I felt some pain the past day or so and noticed the bleeding today. I'm fairly sure it's not my period (at least I hope not) as I didn't get my period back until 9 mos with my first 2.

Is it possible I'm not all the way healed? With my first 2, I stopped bleeding around 8 weeks after stopping and starting a couple of times, but they were vag deliveries.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well I was feeling pretty sure I was pregnant. I have no idea at this point if I am. I took a test and it was negative. I havent had a period since May 15. There is no way I could have gotten pregnant until after June 15. (long story) Anyway, I was thinking I may have gotten pregnant around July 4. I have all the signs. Sore breasts, nausea, dizzy, loss of appetite for favorite foods, great glowing skin, exhausted feeling in the middle of the day -- my cervix is high and closed. Then on July 15 I had some spotting. A-ha! I thought, implantation bleeding! I took a test Monday and it was negative. I still feel pregnant. Did I mention I have heartburn too? It wasn't like we were trying, but we werent preventing either.
Now I don't know what to think. Today I feel bitchy and mean. Everything is getting on my nerves. So maybe I am going to start my period in the next few days. If not I guess I will test again. I have a ob/gyn appointment on August 18. I need a full workup because I haven't had one since Jack.
I got a + result when I was pregnant with Jack 10DPO but with Elizabeth it was 3 weeks past O.

So there is my not really any news update.
#8 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91
About post partum bleeding-I stopped bleeding about 3 days before the 8 week mark. At about 8 1/2 weeks, I bled again for a day or two after I did something and felt some pain around the incision site (figured maybe the internal incision hadn't healed all the way yet or something).

Now, at 11 weeks postpartum, I started bleeding again. I felt some pain the past day or so and noticed the bleeding today. I'm fairly sure it's not my period (at least I hope not) as I didn't get my period back until 9 mos with my first 2.
I think you started your period. I got mine fairly soon after Jack. Three months I believe.
#9 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 05:47 PM

Bummer Kim - guess I wasn't the only one that the fake pregnancy fairy visited this month Although, you never know - it's not over 'til the red lady sings as they say

Hang in there

LisaG

#10 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 06:19 PM

Well, the bleeding stopped after a day, so I still don't think it's my period. I know some get it back early, but would I get it back so much sooner than I did w/the other 2? I think I need to call the dr for an opinion.

#11 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 06:59 PM

I'm not sure I should even post this and maybe not here. Please do not take what I am about to post in a bad light. I have had 2 c/s and wouldn't wish it on anyone. C/S are a sensitive issue I know. I use to think I could never birth a baby and I would have to have all my babies by c/s. But as a more informed mother, I feel I must pass this vital information along. I would have had a 3rd c/s had I not read the following information:

I read and then researched extensively, that a women should not have more than 3 c/s. Summarizing, the area around the scar gets weaker with each c/s and poses the risk of uterine rupture during subsequent pregnancies and an even great risk of uterine rupture if you were to experience labor.

My husband and I always wanted a large family and after reading this in two very different books, I did more research on-line. I asked my OB about doing a VBAC and he was not supportive, so I accepted my fate.

I was still battling this issue when the OB office "fired" me and I decided to pursue a homebirth.

I feel obligated to share this information with women who have had c/s.

And also those you know who are going in for c/s have them request double layer surtures. Ian May writes about double layer being the only VBACs she will attend. You just never know what life will bring to you. I for one never thought that I would have a baby naturally.
#12 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 07:39 PM

OTF, sorry about your . I think you are still thinking you might want to go to the OB to make sure, though? I live in perpetual fear that I'm pregnant, because we aren't on any sort of bc. We wanted an IUD...but the company won't bill insurance, we have to pay up front and bill ourselves, and we don't have $475 for that.

re: pp bleeding...I haven't yet. Is that normal? I just assumed I would have by now, which is also why I'm paranoid I'm pregnant. I know every woman is different...Ds is not even 4 months so I shouldn't have expected it this early, maybe.

Electra, I'm not sure how your post makes me feel. A little defensive, perhaps, which doesn't make sense since you posted for our information. But anyway, congrats on your vbac!

Things are going well here. I'm actually thinking about another baby!!! Ds is growing up so fast, so fast. Anyway if dh and I managed to work out our issues, I can see another one coming sooner than later.

Rachel
Rachel
#13 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 07:43 PM

Has anybody here heard of being sutured in 3 layers? I think that's what I read in my medical records.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#14 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 07:49 PM

I'm not too terribly sure of the point of your post, but I think everyone here would agree that a c/s is not something to be taken lightly, so you're most likely preaching to the choir.

My first 2 were vag deliveries w/no complications-completely natural, my 3rd was a c-section and I feel I did all I could do to avoid surgery. Believe me- this isn't something I wanted AT ALL. Even when getting the epidural and spinal for the surgery, I couldn't believe people would prefer an epidural to labor and delivery. The epidural was a very unpleasant experience for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375
I'm not sure I should even post this and maybe not here. Please do not take what I am about to post in a bad light. I have had 2 c/s and wouldn't wish it on anyone. C/S are a sensitive issue I know. I use to think I could never birth a baby and I would have to have all my babies by c/s. But as a more informed mother, I feel I must pass this vital information along. I would have had a 3rd c/s had I not read the following information:

I read and then researched extensively, that a women should not have more than 3 c/s. Summarizing, the area around the scar gets weaker with each c/s and poses the risk of uterine rupture during subsequent pregnancies and an even great risk of uterine rupture if you were to experience labor.

My husband and I always wanted a large family and after reading this in two very different books, I did more research on-line. I asked my OB about doing a VBAC and he was not supportive, so I accepted my fate.

I was still battling this issue when the OB office "fired" me and I decided to pursue a homebirth.

I feel obligated to share this information with women who have had c/s.

And also those you know who are going in for c/s have them request double layer surtures. Ian May writes about double layer being the only VBACs she will attend. You just never know what life will bring to you. I for one never thought that I would have a baby naturally.

#15 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Electra,

Hmmm, you are more than welcome to post here. I just don't get the jist of why you would post what you did to this thread. I would say that every woman who has posted to this thread knows what you posted, and most of us avoided having csections. Some of us had them for valid reasons, some by no fault of our own, some out of ignorance, and some because there was no other way for us to have children.

I am glad you were able to HBAC. Congrats.
#16 of 81 Old 07-28-2004, 09:15 PM

Subscribing to the thread.

Electra-Congratulations on your HBA2C-I am truly happy for you. I know what you must have gone through and it must have been an amazing experience for you.

We're all so unique-different things are important to different people. The journey I've been on after my births has taught me that (for me) the means is not as important as the end. When I hear about successful vbacs I am genuinely happy for that person, as I know how much it must mean to them. But I don't feel a sense of loss any more for myself. That's good!

shelbean-so with you on the epidural! I think that was the biggest challenge, by far.
#17 of 81 Old 07-29-2004, 12:41 PM

Hey, I'm 11 days pp.

When can I lift my 28 lb toddler? I have lifted her a few times over the last day or so and it didn't hurt.... but dh is very mad that I did it.

I know they say don't lift them immediately pp, but I don't know when you CAN lift them. They just said don't, but obviously they didn't mean for life

My incision is almost invisible, it is amazing.... the last few days it has just shrunk and gotten sooooo light. It's all closed up and gorgeous.

I miss cuddling with my dd, so I hope I can lift her without guilt soon!
#18 of 81 Old 07-29-2004, 03:36 PM

Kimberly, I was told not to lift ds (26 pounds) or anything heavy for 6 weeks. Then the nurse said to at least wait as long as possible, at least a month. On that note, I have picked him up a couple times and have helped him up onto my lap or a chair a few times. I am 3 weeks pp and I have felt like I'm able to lift him and have no pain when I do. But I'm trying to remember not to. To allow my body to heal as best it can so I don't have any problems in the future and can get back to our real playing faster. I really miss cuddling with him and our rough playing that he loves. I want to be able to chase him around again. I do try to get as much snuggling on the couch as I can when he's willing.
#19 of 81 Old 07-29-2004, 06:31 PM

Kimberly, I saw a pic of your incision somewhere on here and it is amazing. I've never seen a scar look so neat so soon after surgery! Wow, you must be impressed! (mine is all gnarled and is looking more disgusting by the day getting all stretched out. Before I got pregnant this time, it looked like I had two belly buttons).
#20 of 81 Old 07-29-2004, 06:55 PM

original post-
And also those you know who are going in for c/s have them request double layer surtures. Ian May writes about double layer being the only VBACs she will attend. You just never know what life will bring to you. I for one never thought that I would have a baby naturally.-

I would still request the double suture, but wanted to add that I have a single layer suture and according to my mw, Ina May has changed her views on it. It is not as risky as once was thought, and I am currently planning my HBAC (any day now!). I think there was also an article in Midwifery Today recently that discusses it.
#21 of 81 Old 07-29-2004, 08:19 PM

LOL Carla, I thought it looked bad in that pic! It's way lighter now!!
I scar nicely... after my first c/s my ob said I was a great candidate for plastic surgery.... what the HECK does that mean, I'm ugly or somethin? :
#22 of 81 Old 07-30-2004, 05:13 PM

Hello! I had my pp check yesterday. My doctor (as everyone else has been) was very impressed with my incision. She also said that I have a really tiny cervix, it looks like I've never labored, to say nothing of having had a vaginal delivery (which BeanBean was). Apparently my cervix was the only part of my body to completely bounce back after BeanBoy's birth. :LOL

Toddler lifting-- I did it way early. Like, I picked Eli (22 pounds) up a couple times in the hospital. : I probably shouldn't have. By the time I was 1 week pp, I could lift him comfortably, though I couldn't carry him far. If I hadn't gotten angry and stupid and started moving furniture, I'd have been able to keep on lifting him after that. I say try it at 1 week and take it slowly; if you're comfortable, keep going.

Things I was told not to do after my c-section (much of which I did anyway):

1. Lift anything heavier than Rivkah (3 weeks).
2. Walk more than half a block (3 weeks).
3. Go up & down a flight of stairs more than once a day (4 weeks).
4. Drive (4 weeks).
5. Have sex (6 weeks).
6. Go without sleeping/get stressed out (as long as I could).

There was more, but I can't remember it all... it was quite a list, and they kept asking if I had people around to do these things for me, if the bathroom was on the same floor as the bedroom, etc. I had the distinct impression that if I'd been a single mom with noone around to help and a bunch of stairs to deal with, they'd have kept me in the hospital for a few more days. :LOL

Electra- I read your post and kind of wondered if you knew where you were. This is not a group of women who plan to have section after section... I can't remember reading a single post on this thread about someone who had a cesearian (emergency or planned) who was planning, from the beginning, to have another. We're not posting to this thread because we love the fact that our babies came into this world surgically and we think it's so cool... so what was your point? (Seriously, I'm not trying to be rude. I honestly want to know.)

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#23 of 81 Old 07-30-2004, 06:33 PM

Well, to pick up on eilonwy's post, I am actually planning another cesarian after my first planned one...

I won't go into the details here since most people know, and it's sort of irrelevant anyways. What I wanted to talk about were my thoughts on c/s number two...

I have never experienced a single labour pain, and with this baby almost surely being my last, I probably never will. I have thought about waiting to go into labour, and then going to the hospital for my c/s, but I can't convince myself it's worth the hassle. I have a 2 year old who will need to be looked after, and has never spent the night away from us. My mother is the only person who has ever sat for her, and then only a couple hours at most. Having a planned c/s means scheduling it for the morning, when mum can come over and be with DD. Then they can come visit us in the early afternoon. If I waited for labour and it happened in the middle of the night, for example, or in the evening, it would be very stressful for DD to have us both (me and DH) leave at that time.

I'm also afraid of the pain, and wondering what benefit there would be to allowing it to even start? I know my due dates are bang on (I was tracking my cycles when I got PG), so there's no concern about baby being born early. And to go through all that just to say I felt some early contractions? I'd be begging for the epidural/spinal in no time, and then I can't IMAGINE having that put in while you are labouring!

Sometimes I think I should at least think about a VBAC...but then again, it's leaving the familiar for the unknown scary territory of birthing. It seems insane to me. I loved my first birth. I felt no pain. Sure the epidural going in was a bit painful, but it lasted only a few minutes, and was certainly nothing I couldn't handle. I can't imagine comparing it to hours of the excruciating pain of labour...I recovered very swiftly (was up and walking that evening), my meds did their job perfectly with no side effects. I was able to nurse my DD, have her sleep on my chest...it was just all so peaceful.

But hanging around these boards it's hard not to at least wonder about what birthing must really feel like. So I guess these are the thoughts I'm having these days. I get these thoughts like "maybe I *should* try for labour, maybe I *should* try for a VBAC" and then I think "why?"...I wonder if I'm just feeling a sort of "peer pressure". My first birth was so great, there's nothing I feel could use improving upon, so why not stick with what I know?

sorry if this is rambling...seemed a good place to get this off my chest....

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#24 of 81 Old 07-30-2004, 11:44 PM

Piglet,

I'm so glad to hear that you were happy with your first c/s . It also sounds like you've given much thought and consideration to what your best choice is for your next birth.

For me personally, it makes me really sad to know that my chance of ever experiencing a vb is slim to none given my uterine surgical history. I've never given birth, but I've had the privledge of attending 2 home births and 2 hospital births, as well as being present for 3 sibling home births.

There's a lot I'm going to miss - the rite of passage (even though I know c/s is its own rite of passage), getting to the point of knowing I can't go on anymore and yet somehow digging deep and going on, feeling the rhythm of labor, feeling the uncontrollable urge to push, feeling the power of birth, feeling the dance of my baby finding his/her way into the world, feeling that first bit of scalp, scooping my baby up onto my belly all warm and wet and slippery, nesting in my own bed, in the quiet, in the dim lights.

I know that not all births are like this. I know that birth is unpredictable and that even the most prepared and informed woman can find herself drowning in the process of birth. I know that sometimes s*it happens. I know women who would gladly have a c/s to avoid the trauma of their vb. I know women who have been unable to sit, have sex, urinate, have a bowel movement without excruciating pain for days/weeks/months as the result of a traumatic vb. To me, that was a risk I was willing to take - I wanted a chance, because for me the opportunity and gain was worth the risk. I know that bad things can happen, but I also know that usually they don't. So *for me* that is a chance I deeply wanted and truly expected I'd have.

So yes, Piglet, it makes sense to me that you would perhaps be having second thoughts about whether or not to labor first. I know that you will do what is best for you and your life - whether that is labor or no labor, and I look forward to hearing your birth story and welcoming your little one to the world.

Lisa

#25 of 81 Old 07-31-2004, 08:19 PM

hi, first i want to thank everyone for their replies on how fast they were able to leave the hospital. i hope that everything goes smoothly for me and i can do it within 3-4 days, too.

i was also going to bring up the toddler-at-home issue. i was actually going to ask how to keep them from jumping up and down on your belly or crawling over you when you are lying together. i hadn't thought about carrying. oh dear. don't know how i'm going to manage that. dd is very attached.

i'm glad there are others with positive c/b experiences. i never had any regrets about the first and after a lot of research feel comfortable with going thru the second. don't feel like i am missing a thing by not vb'ing. maybe it's because i considered adoption for a long time or that i know some wonderful adoptive moms. maybe if something went wrong because of a c-section i would feel differently. but when baby is fine, or even possibly better than if birthed vaginally, i am happy and can think of nothing other than how wonderful life is.
#26 of 81 Old 07-31-2004, 10:48 PM

You know, Piglet, as soon as I hit send on that post and logged off, I thought of you. :LOL

I'm glad that you're comfortable with your c/s births. I think there is a lot of peer pressure on these boards to have a drug-free vaginal delivery, if not to squat in the woods and catch the baby on your own... I think that's why so many people feel defensive about their birth experiences here. (Okay, I think that's why I feel so defensive about my birth experiences here. :LOL) It's more than just peer pressure... it's an overwhelming sense that if you don't do it "the right way" you're willfully harming your child. I've still got issues with all the attacks on my character earlier this year, so I'm going to drop this before I start to get nasty again.

Remember when I thought maybe I had my period a week and a half ago? Well, I'm pretty sure that I ovulated about 40 minutes ago. I'm kind of ticked off about it. I mean, there's a chance that I won't get my period on CD 21-28, but I'm officially not holding my breath. How depressing! I actually borrowed "Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing" from my LLL library to see if I had missed something with Eli (when I got my period back at 3.5 weeks pp) and the only thing I could think of was that Eli couldn't comfort nurse-- he always got milk, so he would cry if he was full and needed to suck. He'd end up sucking on a finger (never would take a binky), either mine or Mike's.

I figured that I'd get around that, by being sneaky and tandem nursing. Two kids, more sucking, no period, right? Apparently not. Someone out there seems to think I should have my children closer together than I do. Sorry! I can't do that. It would be horrible for Rivkah; she needs her nursies, so much so that even if I had started out with abm I'd probably be trying to relactate right now. Her little kidneys can barely handle mamma's milk, what on earth would abm do to her system? I shudder to think.

I just think it's not fair to get your period back so quickly at all, to say nothing of having it happen while tandeming. I mean Eli nurses a zillion times a day, and he's fairly serious about his nursing-- it's like work to him. Rivkah's gone from the 25th percentile to the 50th, because she gets all the milk she wants and never has to work hard for it... hm, maybe it's my overactive letdown that's doing it! Maybe because my kids barely have to think about nursing to have milk squirting all over the place, I'm not stimulating the entire system. Or maybe I've always had a lot of prolactin, so my system is accustomed to it. I don't know. What I do know is, I've never heard of anyone getting their period back at 4 weeks pp while tandem nursing, so I guess there's something abnormal about me. *sigh* Back to the careful routine! :LOL

#27 of 81 Old 08-02-2004, 10:17 AM

Aww,Rynna! I sympathize and I'm sure I'll be with you in a few weeks! I got af back somewhere around a month after Libby, maybe 4-6 weeks after delivery, I forget. I just remember being P.O.'ed big time.

Kimberly
#28 of 81 Old 08-02-2004, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the supportive words, eilonwy and LisaG.

I think you are right that I'm just having a hard time "loving" my c/s birth and yet feeling true to the spirit of natural parenting. I really DO believe that birth is overmedicalized in our society. I really do feel that the number of interventions and c/s are too high, and that we'd all be better off if birth were treated as something more natural. I do get a bit envious of homebirth stories, and people who visit loving, earthy midwives instead of OB's. I even described my "dream birth" on a thread in our due date club and realized my dream birth was a homebirth (but one without pain, so not too realistic, lol)...I guess that's why I feel conflicted inside, because it's like "well, if I believe these things, am I a hypocrite for not giving it a chance?".

I guess what I need to do is just feel at peace with loving my c/s experience and therefore understandably not-in-a-rush to do anything different this time around. And recognizing that I made a choice for ME, not for "women everywhere"...if that makes sense.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#29 of 81 Old 08-05-2004, 04:33 PM

Hi everyone!

I am due tommorow and it's looking like I may possibly not get my VBAC. Even though I never had a problem with the fact I had a C/S with DS, I am feeling kind of sad being faced with the possibility of another one. DS's was an emergency so I wasn't expecting it, but in a way, knowing I could have one has me filled with odd emotions. I haven't given up on having a VBAC and am still trying to be positive, but I think I need to be open to the fact I may need a repeat.

I thought this would be easier! :LOL Part of me wishes I would of planned it so I would have my little angel right now, but I would of always wondered what would of happened. I've been trying all the things I can to help prepare my body for birth and labour at home but nothing is working. They won't let me go more than 10 days over, but it's looking like Monday could possibly be the big day.
#30 of 81 Old 08-05-2004, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde
They won't let me go more than 10 days over, but it's looking like Monday could possibly be the big day.
: for your VBAC!

This leads me to a question: for those of you who have had VBACs, what are the differences between that and a regular vaginal delivery? Was everyone told that they wouldn't be allowed to go overdue? Were there certain requirements you had to meet? I'm not planning on getting pregnant again in the near future, but I'm curious about these things. I'm not planning a c-section for next time (I didn't plan one for this time!) and I would like a general idea of what to expect.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page