September Cesarean Support Circle - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 09-14-2004, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your support. I will heed all your advice. I'm going to check out the birth plan that Peppermint suggested now. Thanks again!
#62 of 84 Old 09-15-2004, 01:52 AM

Hi! I had an emergency c/s in 8/02 and was told my pelvis is too small. I will be trying for a VBAC this time in 3/05, but am trying to be realistic about the possibility that I will need a c/s. I am still nursing my 2 year-old DS who is not showing any signs of weaning. I am a little concerned about caring for myself, the baby and my toddler after the c/s (although DH will do all he can, as he did last time). I am also worried about tandem nursing after the c/s, especially as I imagine I may want to nurse the two simultaneously from time to time. Do any of you have any experience with tandem nursing after c/s or any suggestions for me about life after a c/s with two kids?
#63 of 84 Old 09-15-2004, 09:24 AM

Well, I have no experience tandeming after a c/b. My son showed no signs of weaning until I hit month 6 or 7... then he weaned almost without warning and tandeming was out the window.

But life with 2 afer a /b wasn't all that bad for me. I had a good recovery and help! Help is a key thing. My mom came and stayed for 2 weeks. She didn't do anything with the infant but she was able to take care of Tracy. I only had the same issues that I had with just one. After my mom left I was sore but I was still able to do wht Tracy needed me to do for him. The hardest thing was him realizing I could carry him everywhere.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#64 of 84 Old 09-15-2004, 09:28 AM

Hi! I'm tandeming after c/s. If you look through the pictures in my link, there are a few of my very first tandem nursing experience with both kids. I was still in the hospital, three days post-op. It can be done! The most important thing for me was (is!) to get the bigger child settled first. I found that BooBah wasn't big enough to get anywhere near my incision when I had her in front of me, so just having something there to support my arm worked very well.

When I got home, I found that I could sit cross-legged on my bed with my son between my legs resting against my arm and thigh, and then set BooBah in his lap. Niether kid got near my incision, and it was all good. Yes, it can be done!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#65 of 84 Old 09-15-2004, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
When I got home, I found that I could sit cross-legged on my bed with my son between my legs resting against my arm and thigh, and then set BooBah in his lap. Niether kid got near my incision, and it was all good. Yes, it can be done!
Is it just me or does that just sound awesome!

How is the temperment of your older child? I'm not sure it would work with Tracy that nice... maybe with Bryce and another but not with Tracy

#66 of 84 Old 09-15-2004, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family
Is it just me or does that just sound awesome!
Well, it is super cute! BeanBean loves his sister, he's always patting her and giving her hugs and kisses. He likes to hold her hand while he nurses. (Yeah, I thought the pictures of kids holding hands while nursing together were kind of far-fetched too, but it turns out I've got quite a lovey little man! )

Quote:
How is the temperment of your older child? I'm not sure it would work with Tracy that nice... maybe with Bryce and another but not with Tracy
Overall, he's a pretty relaxed little man. He is very quickly exiting toddlerhood, right now his behavior is on target for about 33 months, though I don't know if he'll stay there. He's generally a very easygoing fellow as long as he gets time to play outside each day. He also adores his sister and will do anything to be near her. He's quite the little family man.

#67 of 84 Old 09-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Banned

Hi, I'm new here. Three children= three c/s

my stats:
12/97-emergency c/b-baby in fetal distress
9/02-planned c/b
8/03-planned c/b

Diane
#68 of 84 Old 09-15-2004, 07:17 PM

Hi Diane, Welcome to our support circle .

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#69 of 84 Old 09-15-2004, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
That sounds awesome and beautiful, and given your ds's age, he might actually have a chance of remembering those moments. What a wonderful father that will prepare him to be.

And Diane, MamitadeTian, & Leomom!
#70 of 84 Old 09-16-2004, 12:10 AM

OTF... I'm not sure if you are still reading or are just away fro awhile. But if you are reading... I MISS you!!

#71 of 84 Old 09-16-2004, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
That sounds awesome and beautiful, and given your ds's age, he might actually have a chance of remembering those moments. What a wonderful father that will prepare him to be.
I think he's a little young to remember it; some people do remember being less than two years old (I'm one of them) but I don't think his speech is quite good enough. Still, the way he nurses I'm sure he'll be old enough to remember long before he weans! :LOL

#72 of 84 Old 09-16-2004, 10:57 AM

I find it hard tandem nursing at times because I have a classic incision so it seems no matter where they are, one of them is touching it (and it still hurts). I like to either lay or sit and have them both in a football hold; that way I can look them both in the eyes and keep an eye on their latch, especially since DD is constantly popping off. Sometimes I'll lay DD across me under my breasts but her feet sometimes get in her brother's face and he doesn't like that :LOL
#73 of 84 Old 09-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint
Hi Diane, Welcome to our support circle .
Thanks, Peppermint. 2
#74 of 84 Old 09-16-2004, 09:42 PM

Well I had my c/s - 3 days earlier than planned, as I went in for a BPP and fluid check and was low on fluid. I could have insisted on going home and drinking water and waiting, but at 41w5d I had already resigned myself to a c/s anyway so there was no real point in that, for me.
In comparison to my 1st c/s it was a beautiful thing, if a c/s can be so. I was treated with respect and got to see the birth with mirrors and lowered drapes, and thanks to the persistence of my wonderfully supportive DH, my baby was given to me ASAP. She and DH went to the nursery for about an hour afterwards which I was fine with since DH was with her, and then she was brought back to me and hasnt left my side since. I feel that I gave birth to my daughter, which I definitely do not feel about DS. If I have #3 I am going to have a HBA2C, but if I dont, I will be ok.
#75 of 84 Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 PM

I am glad to find this group!!

I am planning my second c/b this December. My twins were c/b in 1993, VBAC in 2001.

My how things have changed since 93. Back then I had to go to regular surgery & recovery - 3 floors away from my babies. They were preemies and I didn't get to see them until they were 4 hours old or hold them till they were 8 hrs old. Now they have a c/b room right on the l/d floor. My doc says we shouldn't be separated any longer than with a VBAC. The baby can come to recovery with me and nurse.

My doc was really supportive of a VBAC, but I have such a bad diastisis recti from the twins that it needs repaired. Since my chances of VBAC were slim, I taking the c/b route and letting him fix the diastisis recti at the same time.

I have to admit that I'm a little sad about "planning" it, but I'm looking at ways to make the experience more like I want.
#76 of 84 Old 09-16-2004, 11:32 PM

It might not be that much fun planning it.. but at least you will get your problems fixed at the same time. As far as surgery goes... I think thats a plus!

#77 of 84 Old 09-17-2004, 09:40 AM

MommytoTwo
Congratulations on the birth of your baby .

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#78 of 84 Old 09-20-2004, 03:33 PM

hello all! i am new to this message board. i found your posts and it made me feel so much better about my own birthing experiences. i have had 2 c-secetions. the first after being induced for 3 days, and not dialating more than a 1, and the second after being 2 days past due with gestational diabetes. now, i want to have another baby. i have always wanted to have a natural childbirth. now, after 2 c-sections i am so scared. i dont feel like i can do it, i am afraid of uterine rupture, etc... i felt so confident after the first that i would never have to do it again. the second was not has hard, but i am still very nervous about putting myself in this position again. all of the hopes and dreams of wanting a natural birth i fear are pointless. the drs. told me i have a small cervix that will not dialate. the midwives said it was normal. i dont know what to think. i also want to have atleast 4 babies. have any of you had 2 c-sections and had a successful vbac? or have any of you had more than 2 c-sections without hurting your uterus? thanks!
#79 of 84 Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 PM

femuhnistmama

"a small cervix that wouldnt dialate"????? That is just absurd. Actually you were induced when you body clearly was not ready to let your baby out yet. I am so sick of drs playing the 'defective woman' card.
The risk of rupture with 2 prior c/s is about the same as 1 c/s, which is extremely low.
You can do it!!!
#80 of 84 Old 09-26-2004, 11:46 AM

So I was reading our local Sunday newspaper today which had a feature on OB's and their rising malpractice premiums and the fact that many are choosing to leave the practice of delivering babies. This has been a HUGE deal in NJ as OBs here often pay $79k-$100k in malpractice premiums and are often sued for normal life-saving interventions (for example, using normal non-c/s techniques for treating a shoulder dystocia -- and then getting sued for not knowing how big baby was, predicting the sd and then doing a c/s -- you get the picture). Those lawsuits increase their premiums and lead to the ever present practice of lawsuit based medicine vs. evidence based medicine. It also leads to a number of good drs. either leaving the practice of delivering babies or to them ceasing to treat "high-risk" patients (i.e., those with pre-e, GD, or VBACs).

Anyway ... my point in posting this is that the paper noted that another huge rate hike is predicted for next year and based on a survey of OBs, it appears that HALF of all OBs in NJ may leave the practice of delivering babies or will cease to treat high risk patients, which of course, includes VBACs. And VBACs have also been on the decline in NJ b/c of the whole malpractice premium thing so I fully anticipate that a VBAC may be impossible for me in 2006 (when I anticipate having my next baby).

I'm so annoyed. I realize this is all just speculation, but NJ is already a state where it is: (1) difficult to find DEMWs and/or CNM who attend HBs; (2) if you can find such a MW she isn't allowed by law to attend any HBs that might be even remotely risky (so no HBAC); (3) there are few MWs attending hospital births and they are severely limited in the patients they're allowed to attend; and (4) most OBs are scared to death of getting sued so they're refusing to attend high risk births, VBACs among them, or if they do, there are substantial restrictions placed on the laboring mother.

So what am I supposed to do? Move? Consent to a r/c/s just b/c I probably won't be allowed to have a VBAC b/c of some stupid malpractice carrier's policies (basically, the malpractice ins. carriers raise the premiums so prohibitively high that no dr. can afford to pay for the extra coverage that would required to actually attend the higher risk births).

Sorry for the vent. Just had to blow off some steam.
#81 of 84 Old 09-26-2004, 07:46 PM

nak

Hey Amy, I totally hear you. I have exactly the same fears (except I want to have my next one in 2007 ). And I think it would be ironic and terrible if I *had* to have another C even though I had a successful VBAC...
#82 of 84 Old 09-27-2004, 12:39 AM

If you had a vbac wouldn't they go by that?

I told dh the other day if we had another we would vbac. He was like..WHOA! Everytime you talk about "if" it ends up being true. So, now I can only talk about it to you fine ladies

A friends sister in law is having her 5th c/b here soon.... She had 1 vag delivery and the rest c/bs. I'm not sure why she had the first c/b though.

#83 of 84 Old 10-04-2004, 08:12 PM

Nope, they don't care. I had a VBAC 3 years ago. Now I'm told it's not an option. My doctor did say he would do it if he is on duty when I go into labor. However, if it is one of the other 3 docs in his practice, they won't consider it.

Then my doc happens to be attending a VBAC with a complete rupture. So now he's scared too.

Turns out, I will be scheduling my r/c/s (although secretly I'm hoping for another VBAC) so they can do some other work too.
#84 of 84 Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 PM

whimsy/Jennifer ... that stinks. I'm sorry.

I fully intend to have a VBAC one way or another. I'm just not sure how its going to happen. I'm hoping to maybe find a doula who is either a non-practicing midwife or a midwife-in-training to labor with me at home. Then if I have the guts (or rather, if dh gets it together), I might consider having a sort of UBAC (with doula there, so I don't know how truly UBAC that would be). Or, I'll labor at home and go to the hospital when I'm close to pushing (or pushing). Hospital is only 5-10 minutes away, so it wouldn't be the worst thing.

My biggest fear, honestly, is that my next child will have blood-type incompatibility jaundice as did ds. And ds was pretty darn sick. And such jaundice appears at birth or immediately thereafter (he was under the bili-lights within 30 hours of birth) and can get bad fast (as ds's did). So I guess, ultimately, I'd like to be in a place that would be able to treat the jaundice immediately if necessary, but at the same time, insure the greatest likelihood of a VBAC.

You know, I just have to relax. Who knows what things will be like in 2006? I just have to see where we're at. But all this uncertainty bugs the poop out of me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page