Calcified Placenta??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2004, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My SIL was the birth coach for one of her friends. Her friends OB made her get an induction because of a calcified placenta. My SIL though he just wanted the baby to be delivered during daylight hours, until she actually saw the placenta. She said about a quarter of it was totally white and hard. I have never heard of this. Does anyone know how this happens????

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2004, 03:59 PM

I have heard of it only one time and the mom was a full 2 weeks late plus a day or so, she finally agreed to induction and the placenta was deteriating and calcified like that. Not sure why it happens or if it even was because she was overdue or what.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Towards the end of pregnancy, the placenta begins to show signs of ‘aging’. Calcium deposits appear and some localised areas of the placenta may die, or become replaced with fibrous tissue, or become obstructed by clots of maternal blood. The maternal vessels supplying blood to the intervillous spaces may become hardened or blocked. These are considered to be signs of the great stress experienced by the placenta as it tries to meet the ever-growing demands of the baby during the later months. It is reassuring to know that in the great majority of cases these maturational changes in the placenta do not degrade its overall function and the fetus is in no way harmed. There is evidence to suggest that several factors can influence these placental changes. For example, the development of calcification can be accelerated by maternal cigarette smoking (Brown et al, 1988), although dietary antioxidants may help to neutralise this effect (Klesges et al, 1998).
http://www.nurseminerva.co.uk/placenta1.htm

Hypertension during pg is also a "cause" of early calcification.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:18 PM

DD's placenta was beginning to calcify when she was born. She was 10 days past her due date. I was healthy during pregnancy, took good care of myself, and had a lovely homebirth. My midwife was a little surprised by the placenta & mentioned maybe doing some things to help labor get started earlier if/when we have another baby. DD appeared to have lost some weight before she was born, and the calcification may have had something to do with that.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:38 PM

Yep, what they said. Supposedly, older term (well cooked) babies, baies from mamas with high bp (like pre-e mamas) and also I've even heard (fairly recently) of tums contributing to it. My first ds was induced 12 days past his due date and they showed/told me my placenta was calcified. I also had pre-e with him AND I ate tums like candy for my heartburn with him. Whoops!

Funny, though, both his brothers were past their due dates (8 and 14 days) and I still ate tums w/both pg's and had pre-e w/#2 but only high bp w/#3 and no calcification with either of them. 3rd cooked the longest, but had the least amt of tums. Last two came on their own too.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:27 PM

I was born 16 days "late", and the placenta was partially calcified. I had also lost weight down to 5lbs3oz from earlier estimates that I would be a "big" baby. I was delivered by emergency c-section because my mama had hypertension. Turns out she had uterine damage from a bout with ruptured apendix when she was a teenager that was preventing productive contractions.

So, yes, I've heard of it.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:47 PM

My second was 2 weeks late and her placenta was starting to calcify. We dont know for sure why she was late, my first right on "time"

I was perfectly healthly, low bp ect. Dd didnt lose any weight, she actually put weight on so I dont think the placenta was in bad shape yet.

I did use Tums as I am doing now. I also use slippery elm but the tatse of that stuff to me is :Puke
Old 09-17-2004, 01:46 AM

Just so no one reads this and thinks, Oh the docs are right! I DO need to be induced cause I'm overdue....:LOL

My last baby was exactly three weeks overdue. There was zero evidence of calcification, he was 8lbs 10oz, and I ate plenty of Tums. From my research I came away with the understanding that it is not even close to being a universal side effect of being overdue. Just FYI.

Oh, and it can happen at any time during pregnancy, as I understand it.

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
Old 09-17-2004, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, Tracy.

I was gonna point out that many times - even at term - I see some calcifications in the placenta. It's pretty rare that a healthy mom (no pre-existing diabetes, no high blood pressure, no smoking) has a placenta that is so calcified that it intereferes with baby's development.

I've had women go 3 and 4 weeks over. Beautiful placentas!
Old 09-17-2004, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much, mama's. I had just never heard of it and wanted a little info. As usual I got way more than I expected. Thanks!!!!!!!! You ladies rock!!!!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:54 AM

I think I have the same thing- I had an ultrasound to check the baby's growth at 34 weeks (due to my lupus- I guess she could stop gaining- but she looks great). Anyway, at 34 weeks I had a grade 3 placenta which was explained to me that it's a matured placenta/40 week placenta. My OB isn't overly concerned and we've been keeping up NSTs (non stress tests) but were going to anyway because I'm high risk (long story). Anyway, I think the main worry is that the amniotic fluid would start to decrease and at my last fluid check it looked great! So... I'm over 37 weeks, so far so good-

I was reading something online when I first heard I had a grade 3 placenta and it said that the main worry would be if you got it in the 2nd trimester... I can't remember where I read it though.

Anyway, knock on wood, all looks good and I'm on the home stretch now!!!

SAHMama to the "Fantastic Four"- 10 yr old b/g twins, 7 yr old boy, 5 yr old girl... : and expecting a miracle baby Feb. 2010...: Married for 11 yrs to my handsome Police Officer :cop:
Old 09-22-2004, 02:24 AM

My ds was born exactly 2 weks overdue and i too had a lovely uncalcified placenta. in fact, it was so healthy that the Mw's questioned his overdueness for an bit. but decided based on his scalyness (that is a real word..really) that he was in fact overdue and i hada really healthy (and huge) placenta

User Tag List