Mothering Forum banner

Prenatal Perineal Massage??

622 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  kweir 
#1 ·
Is prenatal perineal massage with oils helpful in preparing for stretching down there at the birth????

Would a very warm/hot bath do the same sort of thing???

If it is helpful, when would start (I'm 26 weeks now)???? Also, is there somewhere online that I could find to tell the pros and cons and also give instruction on how do it?

TIA!

See less See more
#2 ·
There have been quite a few studies to show that prenatal perineal massage is not helpful - or harmful, for that matter - in regards to preventing tears.

I think staying hydrated, eating well and listening to your body during pushing are the best preventative measures.

#3 ·
im not sure if it works or not but I can tell you that I started massaging myself once every other day or so in my last month of pregnancy and I did not have a single tear.
Whether attributed to that or not.
I agree with paramidwife that eating well and drinking plenty of water probably helped too.
i really didnt like doing it.
But i did, breathing deep.

#5 ·
I personally was glad when I found that studies did not support it as doing anything helpful because I *hated* doing it. I tried once, it was very uncomfortable and that was that. I had an episiotomy with one birth and a tear with the other (shoulder dystocia baby) but that was probably more due to my positioning in labor (flat on my back). Won't do that again!

#9 ·
As a doula, I've had first-time mom's say "How the heck do you relax your vagina - and where?"

A quick, gentle, prenatal perinatal massage can be a great way for a first-time mom to feel a little, and go "Oh, so that's what I'm supposed to relax. Gotcha!"

But as far as preventing tears? I recommend what Pamala said, plus laboring in water, or using warm water compresses.

#10 ·
I'm just reiterating what everyone says.

I think prenatal massage doesn't help at all; and massage *during* labor is counterproductive and painful, leading to *more* tears, in my experience.

However, if someone wants to do prenatal massage, I don't think it hurts, and can help someone learn to relax their perineal muscles.

Another situation where I think it would help is a mama who has some issues with her vagina. In particular (but not exclusively) I am thinking of mamas who have some sexual abuse history. Being able to experience and control the pressure in a safe, private environment can be very helpful. I don't think it is the massaging that helps; it is the act of having loving hands (or your own hands) perform the massage on your vagina, teaching you that it is a safe feeling, not one to fear and tense against, that helps a mama not tear.

#11 ·
I used vitamin E oil for the last month of my pregnancy and I still tore and I used a birthing stool and no drugs so I could feel every last stretch etc...I had hoped if I was very careful about making sure I used the E (something that was so awkward) that I would have been ok...but I think it must just depend on your body and your ability to stretch not any massage or oils...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.