Would you consider this "natural childbirth"? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 09-30-2004, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I consider my birth natural and I had pitocin My water broke and we (midwife and I) tried everything from herbs, to breastfeeding, to pumping, walking and I simply didn't go into labor. As a last resort I accept a boost of pitocin, and once contractions started they stopped giving it to me and let my body take over.
I feel I did everything in my power, and my body failed me in starting contractions after my water broke. I birthed an 11 pound baby with no additional assistance, no pain medication, and nobody telling me when or how to position myself or push. My body took over and it was a very surreal and natural experience for me.
For what it's worth- just my take on my own birth that many wanna tell me wasn't natural enough
#32 of 50 Old 09-30-2004, 10:29 AM

It seems like many people consider a birth to be "natural" around these parts if you are unmedicated and in pain when the child comes out. As a general rule most ob's will not give stadol (similar to demerol but not as good) or nubain (just a sedative) when the labor is moving along quickly or if past 5-6cm dilation. So the entire labor is not uninterfered with but generally the birth is a more natural one. I think is is more like a continuum of gray scale instead of a black and white isssue.
#33 of 50 Old 09-30-2004, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNNP
. As a general rule most ob's will not give stadol (similar to demerol but not as good) or nubain (just a sedative) when the labor is moving along quickly or if past 5-6cm dilation.
My labor with stadol was only 4 hours....that is the length of time from which i became uncomfortable to the time i was holding my child. I was only given the option of stadol as a labor drug because it would not interfere with how quickly i was progressing and i delivered with an OB....

I think what labor drugs are offered to women at the various stages of labor depends comnpletely on the beliefs of caregiver. I know the OB i had at the time of that birth had the lowest rate of cs and heavily drugged deliveries. I missed him in my second birth and feel the resulting birth would have been much different had he been my Doc.

I really think that what makes a birth natural or not is that mother's definition of natural. If it doesnt agree with yours you can feel like the superior mother if you want, but i would never let someone elses definition of "natural" ruin what i consider of my birth experiences. I think the best way to have a natural experience is to do what your instincts feel is best for your body, regardless of what drugs, position or environment you choose. Doing what your instincts want is natural, and that isnt the same from person to person... thats what makes each of us unique and great.

As far as whether or not a hospital is a natural environment to deliver or not, I cant say that it is the most natural, but i can say that i have seen many animals leave where they normally live to make up a quick and temporary nest else where to deliver their offspring. I feel that a hospital environment can be the same for a person, a temporary quick environment for a human to nest in for delivery. Again it has to do with ones one instincts as to what is best for them.

I apologize if my opinion doesnt mesh well with the others here.
#34 of 50 Old 09-30-2004, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I used to use all three ~ labor & delivery = two parts of birth because that was the norm in the comunity where I birthed my child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom
I like birthing because it is an active verb. To be delivered is a passive one.
So the passive participant would be the child? Good point, I don't feel that the child is passive. In this way birth is nicer. Thanks!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#35 of 50 Old 09-30-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama2girls+1?
Doing what your instincts want is natural, and that isnt the same from person to person...
very well said!

Quote:
Honestly, I think intervention is quite natural ~ at the very least labor and delivery support from the community (elders, midwives, sisters, mothers). And, I had always thought this was supported throughout our human history.
but the level of medical intervention women face when giving birth in a hospital is not even remotely like the support of a loving midwife or grandmother in times gone by. I consider there to be nothing natural at all in being strapped to machines, laying flat on my back, like I experienced immediately after going to the hospital at the end of my first pregnancy. And I won't even get started on all the other interventions forced upon me (some without my knowledge, much less my consent) that led to my c-section.
#36 of 50 Old 09-30-2004, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama2girls+1?
My labor with stadol was only 4 hours....that is the length of time from which i became uncomfortable to the time i was holding my child. I was only given the option of stadol as a labor drug because it would not interfere with how quickly i was progressing and i delivered with an OB....
I was induced and the OB was no where nearby except when she came to AROM my waters at 4cm. 3 hours later I'm moaning and grunting and feeling pushy. After awhile of this, I'm getting pretty sick of this because I'm expected to lie on my left side. Instead of checking my dialation, the nurse keeps offering a shot to help the pain or an epidural DESPITE my birth plan stating I did not want to be offered drugs. I overheard her tell my mom it would be hours before dd was born. I caved. The nubain made me drunk, I was dizzy, naeasous and out of my head. Thankfully I didn't accept the damn epidural.

It sucks, the whole pushing phase and seeing my dd for the couple seconds I held her before they took her away and sewed me up are a fog. :

So maybe it didn't affect my labor, but it sure affected me.
#37 of 50 Old 09-30-2004, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
but the level of medical intervention women face when giving birth in a hospital is not even remotely like the support of a loving midwife or grandmother in times gone by.
Oh, sure. I was mostly responding to some posts about herbs and things and wanted to ask about that.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#38 of 50 Old 09-30-2004, 06:23 PM

I guess I'm missing where anyone is trying to come across as a superior mother (?) because they desire a holistic, non-interventive birth experience (or whatever birth experience she wants)....but I wanted to share an excellent article in case some haven't seen it before:

http://www.mothering.com/11-0-0/html...ic-birth.shtml

I think it's helpful to consider what the biological blueprint for birth is....why it's working/not working and go from there to apply it to your own unique experience and situation.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#39 of 50 Old 09-30-2004, 08:10 PM

My answer is no. To me the term "natural childbirth" refers to a labor and birth that begun on it's own (not induced), had no medication during the course of it, and had no interventions that would alter the course of labor such as AROM, episiotomy, etc., but I know that I have a pretty strict definition.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#40 of 50 Old 10-01-2004, 10:43 AM

I just have to share that a woman on a "mainstream" board for my city just said that she felt that her hospital epidural birth was "natural" because "the phone was ringing and the TV was on during labor", making her feel like she was "right at home in her living room". So "natural" does definitely mean different things to different people.
#41 of 50 Old 10-01-2004, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krae
I just have to share that a woman on a "mainstream" board for my city just said that she felt that her hospital epidural birth was "natural" because "the phone was ringing and the TV was on during labor", making her feel like she was "right at home in her living room". So "natural" does definitely mean different things to different people.
:LOL Well, I guess she's got me there!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#42 of 50 Old 10-01-2004, 12:55 PM

it seems there are many shades of grey to this "natural" thing, except in the minds of each mom who uses the term!

i'm not one to get hung up on words like "natural" and "organic." my husband, the biology major, nitpicks that "organic" is anything not containing metal, including arsenic *lol*

i've always thought a natural birth is drug-free, where you have to use your own resources. i had been feeling depressed about needing to birth at a hospital, even if it's vaginal and pain med free, is it a natural birth? until i made my peace with it and just tell myself i can still have a drug-free birth (i have no idea how i'll feel about it after birth, though!). i've never done drugs before, i won't use birth as an excuse.

but, does getting insulin for diabetes mean it's not drug free? (i'll be declining the IV and shooting my own insulin with my husband's help.) and at some point far into a labor that isn't progressing, would AROM mean it's not a natural birth, even if i choose it based on avoiding pitocin and cesarean? *shrug* i figure my goal is drug-free, and i'm educated about my choices, so a vaginal birth without pain meds is natural for me.

peace,
meli

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#43 of 50 Old 10-01-2004, 04:26 PM

My definition of the term "natural birth" is like love_homebirthing's. Not so moms who have had interventions or pain meds feel like failures, but because I think natural birth should be maintained as a goal in childbirth. Natural birth is the safest for moms and babies, aside from the very small number of births which require necessary interventions for the health of mom or baby. Since the overwhelming majority of births are normal and safe, natural birth should be upheld as the ideal. If this ideal is including pain meds and unneccessary interventions, it allows the routine use of these to continue to be the norm. This ideal is one to strive for, but not to make women feel bad if unforseen events make it so this ideal isn't completely met.
#44 of 50 Old 10-01-2004, 05:17 PM

Okay, sorry but I gotta :
#45 of 50 Old 10-01-2004, 05:27 PM

At me? Please explain...
#46 of 50 Old 10-01-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer mama
At me? Please explain...

I could be wrong but I am thinking she's laughing at the woman who said that she felt she had a natural birth even with the epi because the tv was on and the phone was ringing in her hospital room making her feel right at home I got a kick out of that one too:LOL
#47 of 50 Old 10-01-2004, 09:24 PM

I think a natural birth is not receiving pain meds. I do consider sex during labor as a natural form of aid and don't see how anyone couldn't. Semen contains a chemical for just this situation. It's a part of the design.

It irks me that some see getting an epidural as a natural birth. A week after we birthed our first my friend and her mom came over to meet our son and I was saying how we had a natural birth and the mom piped up with, "No, it was just inmedicated since any vaginal birth is natural." Sorry, if I was in the forest giving birth...there would be no anesthesiologist out there to give me an epi. :

We welcomed our 3rd , 7th September 23, 2010!
#48 of 50 Old 10-01-2004, 10:51 PM

OMG! I'm so sorry farmer mama. I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing in reference to the epidural mom. I must have forgotten to check the quote box.

MDC takes so incredibly long to load now for me that usually a few people respond to a post while I'm still waiting for my response to load.
#49 of 50 Old 10-02-2004, 02:04 AM

Oh no problem, don't mind me, I am easily confused. : :
#50 of 50 Old 10-04-2004, 01:28 AM

i'm not sure about what's natural or not either - I had no drugs except for an IV drip to induce me because DS did a poo and they said he was distressed. So I did have drugs but not once I was in labour, and my labour was exciting, I loved it, I did hypnobirthing and had faith. Is that a natural birth or not? Does anyone know if I would have been safe to say no to the induction? I was disappointed but just did what would help my baby. I would love a drug free homebirth next time, now I know how amazing my body is!!! Anyway, what is important is the giving birth no matter how we get it done eh? Womens bodies and spirits are so accomodating .. it is good to finally push out our creations when we birth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page