Cesarean Support Circle-October 2004 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 116 Old 11-09-2004, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't post here often but am enjoying this thread- good info and support. In the event that baby #2 has to come by C/S like DD#1, I would like to include my wishes for an ideal C/S in my birth plan (along with a vaginal birth plan).

Anyone want to share theirs or point me to a website where I can see others? I read every book on vaginal briths and what to do/not to do but I can't seem to find anyting on C/S births. Like what medication to request, BFing in recovery?, what I can request regarding where the baby stays after the birth, etc.

TIA~
Daniella
#92 of 116 Old 11-09-2004, 07:02 PM

Here's my C/S birth plan:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/tammylc/276736.html
#93 of 116 Old 11-10-2004, 06:00 PM

WIth my 2nd c/s I talked to the dr in the area where they prep you and I said I HAVE to have this baby in my arms ASAP or I will lose my mind. SO he told the nurses and my DH was all over them too. I didnt really have a plan per se, other than that. That was all I cared about after the nightmare of the first c/s. ANd it worked- I got my baby right away. (and then I didnt really need a plan since she was in my arms- they couldnt do anything to her without my knowing)
#94 of 116 Old 11-10-2004, 09:15 PM

Hi everyone and new people.

I'm having a tough day today. It is my beautiful, wonderful, crazy-in-a-good way ds's 1st birthday -- which is also the 1 year anniversary of my c/s. I've been doing well with my feelings, but today they seem so much more present. I've been relieving the day as the hours have progressed and now I am inching up on the moment of his birth. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was being prepped for the c/s as I type this. I'm just a little sad, and I know you ladies understand.

I'm worrying about my possiblity for a VBAC, too. I'm due for my well-woman annual in December and I just can't seem to pick up the phone to call the only mw available to me in order to find out (a) if she even attends VBACS (who knows with the litigation climate around here), and (b) if not, then who I should go see. I guess I'm afraid of what I might hear, yk? A VBAC is so important to me. But I know, in all honesty, I have to prepare for the possibility of a c/s next time as well. But I really think another c/s might just do me in emotionally, especially b/c I know if I have a c/s next time, I will always have a c/s if we have any more kids. The idea of never birthing vaginally saddens me greatly.

So here's my question. For those that have planned VBACs, whether or not you were successful, how did you plan emotionally for the possibility of a r/c/s?
#95 of 116 Old 11-11-2004, 01:23 AM

Tammy-
Thanks for sharing your birth plan- that is exactly what I needed to see!
Daniella
#96 of 116 Old 11-11-2004, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamis
Tammy-
Thanks for sharing your birth plan- that is exactly what I needed to see!
Daniella
Happy to help!
#97 of 116 Old 11-12-2004, 03:47 AM

Henrys mama- I just wanted to let you know that just because you have had 2 c/s does not mean you are resigned to Forever c/s deliveries. I know many mamma (IRL clients & Online friends) who have had 2+ c/s and have gone on to have natural vaginal homebirths. One was even a UC after 2 c/s!! & one had a UC with her last. (first 4 were c/s. then one HBAC & then the US) So it is TOTALLY possible. But keep educating yourself & STAY HOME w/ a Midwife for your *BEST* chance of getting this VBAC w/ baby#2!!
#98 of 116 Old 11-12-2004, 11:44 AM

Ms Doula is right.

How did I prepare? Um, I don't think I should answer but I will. It was because of the emotional aspects of my vbac that made it so I couldn't do it. I just couldn't get over the possibility of not doing it. I knew how hard my 1st was to recover from. I knew that if I labored for days and then had a c/b I would have such a hard recovery that I jsut hd the repeat. If you can remember when I had Bryce I struggled daily with my vabc. Oddly though, I feel prepared now. I'm not sure what it was about my 2nd c/b that was empowering.

What I would suggest... Do a lot of soul searching now. Why is a vbac important to you? For me I realized that I only wanted a vbac for my ego. To say "Well *I* did it!". Then I realized it wasn't that important to me. That is when I started struggling. Why am I doing it? Why should I be doing it?

Um, i need to go. Baby on the steps

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#99 of 116 Old 11-15-2004, 10:28 AM

So, I've been on vacation from the Mothering Forums for awhile, but the cesarean goddess is back with a new babe on the way. Not sure how far along I am. I have been having all day sickness for the last two weeks and just tested the past 24 hours, TWICE. I barely peed and they were positive.

Of course I will be planning a csection with this babe too. I have a new OB, that I am a little unsure of so when I go in, I will talk to her about my wants and what she is willing to give me. I hope none of it is a problem. I have another doc in mind if she turns me down.

I hope everyone is doing well, I haven't read the whole thread but plan on keeping it active and will try to respond later to some posts.
#100 of 116 Old 11-15-2004, 10:42 AM

Wow, congratulations!!! It will be good to have you around again
#101 of 116 Old 11-15-2004, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde
Wow, congratulations!!! It will be good to have you around again
Thanks! I believe I am finding good balance in my life right now. So my name OnTheFence is even more fitting. I have really come to accept my balance and dont feel ashamed of it or guilty for it. I think there are a lot of us out there, and I feel most at home at Mothering with my pregnacy, baby experiences.
My plan is not to stress over this pregnancy. I am not going to take progesterone this time (I dont think I need it this time like I did with Jack) I believe if I was going to loose a pregnancy for that issue it would have happened by now. Because of the uterine deformity my first trimester will be iffy but, I dont feel all urgent and stressed like I did the last time. Very relaxed. I probably will have an ultrasound to date the pregnancy since I really am unsure when it happened. Since I do want to plan the csection I need a good forcast on that.
#102 of 116 Old 11-15-2004, 12:32 PM

OTF--I've missed you!! Congrats on the pg!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#103 of 116 Old 11-15-2004, 10:36 PM

Kim ... welcome back and congratulations!!!
#104 of 116 Old 11-17-2004, 01:42 AM

yeah,
OTF, havent seen ya in a while
CONGRATS!!

(and, cause Im nosey like that; WHY are you automaticly scheduling another c-sec.?) Sorry, If you dont mind my asking, of course.
#105 of 116 Old 11-17-2004, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Doula
yeah,
OTF, havent seen ya in a while
CONGRATS!!

(and, cause Im nosey like that; WHY are you automaticly scheduling another c-sec.?) Sorry, If you dont mind my asking, of course.
Several reasons.
Emotionally this is what I know. At this point with no 3(bio) on the way, having had a wonderful experience the last time, I see no reason not to do it. My new OB, did offer me a trial of labor, if I wanted one. Since I feel that I having a VBAC is pretty slim, I do not want to labor and then be cut because I feel this is far riskier.
Physical reasons are simple, I have a malformed uterus and its been cut on twice. The likely hood of this baby being transverse or in some weird stuck position is very likely. My last baby was head down for 7 weeks and stayed in that one spot. His shoulder presented against the cervix and they had trouble getting him out during the csection. Once my babies get in position and get to a certian size the physically cant move in the uterus.
Ten years ago I would have loved to been having babies at home or just natural, it just is not something is going to happen for me. With my prenatal history and uterus I am not a candidate for homebirth, and after lots of research I know that my rupture rate is much higher than the average girl with a csection.
From my research I beleive that planning a repeat is far safer for maternal fetal outcome than after laboring first. I do not want to have a csection on a weekend or in the middle of the night. I dont want to risk prolapse cord with ruptured membranes.
I do know that with this pregnancy I am scheduling this one two days before my due date (due date is on a weekend). I really doubt I will go into labor before then.
#106 of 116 Old 11-17-2004, 06:48 PM

I tried for a VBAC and had a c/s. What did I do to prepare for the possibility of a c/s? The only thing I could do was to do everything possible to have a VBAC. I read every book about VBACs and natural birth that I could. I posted and lurked on many VBAC boards online. I read and bookmarked dozens of websites. I joined ICAN and learned everything I could about c-sections, VBAC, inductions, labor, etc. I hired a doula at $500. I interviewed doctors and midwives, switched hospitals twice, went 2 weeks overdue in a climate where a day overdue is "unneccesary"...

I thought - no- I KNEW if I had to have a c/s I would go crazy and so I had to know that if it happened, that it happened for a valid medical reason. ANd it did. Thats the only reason I can even begin to be ok with it. I am still, and will forever be bitter and sad about the FIRST one that caused all this. That was the unneccesary one, the one that was so bad. The second one I knew what I wanted- baby in my arms ASAP- and was VERY vocal about it and I got it. I was treated with respect as a mother, not just a vessel that a baby was extracted from. Try to identify what you want out of your vbac- what it is you need emotionally, and try to make a plan to get that from a c/s birth. For me it was having the baby immediately and not being separated. So I made that my top priority and I was ok.
#107 of 116 Old 11-18-2004, 10:13 AM

i'm freaking out ... we had to wean from breastfeeding suddenly last week due to medication issues on my part. it feels like "adding insult to injury" on top of the c-birth the cesarean happened once, it's something i can grieve over and heal from. the bottlefeeding happens 8 or more times a day, and every time i am hurting so badly!! nursing her was the best times of every day, i will cherish those 3.5 weeks forever. when my husband is home, or someone else is visiting, i have to let them give her the bottle (the smell of my milk bothers Willow, she gets so frustrated) and i have to leave the room and cry my guts out. when i feed her, i try to make it as much like nursing as possible, a quiet and gentle time, and i am choking back tears and trying not to let my emotions upset her. it's just a constant reminder of my failure and a constant grieving process. i feel selfish for saying this, but i needed the BFing to heal from the c-birth, i needed to know my body could do something right. so now i have two big losses to deal with, and i'm not doing it very well. i'm crying all the time, my dr. put me on Effexor to head off PPD. i have to put Willow down (safely!) and leave the room to cry really hard, i even end up throwing and breaking things in frustration.

anyone else also lose breastfeeding?

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#108 of 116 Old 11-18-2004, 10:39 AM

MellyBelly - lots of doctors know squat about breastfeeding and will tell you you have to wean, "just to be on the safe side." According to Kellymom.com, Effexor can be used in breastfeeding moms. Or are you referring to another medication issue? Anyway, Kellymom has a good list of medication safety - please check it out! Maybe there's still a chance you can breastfeed!

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.html
#109 of 116 Old 11-18-2004, 12:12 PM

I agree about getting a second opinion regarding meds and breastfeeding. What has your ped said? I have a very pro-bf ped and she says there are only a few meds that warrant weaning. I think they are like chemo type drugs.

It's her opinion that the little bit of most meds that cross into breastmilk are still better than formula.

On the other hand, I did lose nursing with my twins. They were preemies and in different hospitals 100 miles apart. I was very upset. It made me all the more adamant that I nurse Brody. That's how I found our new ped. I searched for the most pro BF doctor in the area.

Blessings to you......
#110 of 116 Old 11-18-2004, 10:48 PM

Hello
I was wondering if I could join our group??

I hadmy first c-section in April of 2001. My son was a transverse arrest. After 29 hours of labor I ended up with a c-section. Long story short.. My water broke, I was told to come right to the hospital, dutifuly went.. was induced (not allowed to wait for labor to start on its own..), left alone to labor with DH (all the nurses were busy).. struggled through 6 hours of intense back labor.. got an epidural.. pushed for 3 hours and was told to have a c-section.
It was a crushing crushing blow.. and coupled with a baby in the NICU for dehydration, bfing difficulties and 9 weeks of thrush..started a downward spiral of depression and anger..
With my second pregnancy I vowed that I would not have this happen again.. I chose a new practice..with a MW, hired a doula and read and educated myself as much as one could humanly do..i think.. Having a second c-section never entered my brain.. But guess what.. it happened last month..
It was a much different experience.. much more positive..My birth story for my second child is here
http://www.ovusoft.com/forum Tell Someone, then Birth Stories, then Sophia Edith's birth (sorry a direct link doesn't work..)

But I am still coping with feeling saddened by my second C.. and striving to stay positive...Hearing of others who have had bigger babies vaginally makes keeping positive hard...Some days are harder than others..

So.. that is the abridged version of my story.. Thanks for listening..

Chantal
#111 of 116 Old 11-19-2004, 11:59 AM

wow chantal, that's quite a story! and quite a briuse on her forehead, too!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#112 of 116 Old 11-19-2004, 05:08 PM

Did breastfeeding help you?

I really think that if I had not been able to BF DD for some reason that I would just go crazy. I wanted that VBAC so bad, and I feel like breastfeeding her is .. I dont know... something natural and physical I can do for her, something very "motherly" I am doing, even though I didnt get those things with her birth since I am getting them now it really has saved me. Does that make sense?
#113 of 116 Old 11-19-2004, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellybean
i'm freaking out ... we had to wean from breastfeeding suddenly last week due to medication issues on my part. it feels like "adding insult to injury" on top of the c-birth

anyone else also lose breastfeeding?
I don't know how long you plan on being on the med, but you could pump for now (get a double pump, preferably a hospital grade pump which rents for $50/month) and then resume breastfeeding later on.

I was never able to breastfeed my dd because she was extremely sick at birth and still (at 16mo) is 90% tubefed. But I did pump for her for 13 months, which was extremely fulfilling (albeit somewhat time consuming) for me. And she is the healthiest tubefed kid most doctors have ever seen!
#114 of 116 Old 11-23-2004, 03:18 PM

Hello
I know that with my first c/s I needed to BF my DS.. I felt so badly about his birth that I didn't want to "fail" in that area too.. We had such difficulties for 9 weeks.. thrush that would not go away.. DS had a dairy protien allergy.. gas.. I was so close to giving up so many times.. But I am a very stubborn person.. and we prevailed..
This time.. I was so certain I would have a VBAC and certain I would be crushed if I didn't get one.. but neither thing happened.. I had a repeat C, but it was a much more affirming birth.. and I wasn't crushed.. just saddened.. I think that BFing helped again too.. to reaffirm that my body does work just fine and we just had rotten luck.. But I also think that if you can't or don't want to bf.. that it is ok too.. you can bond and love your baby too..
Meli: the loss of bfing must be so hard for you. I am sorry to hear about that and wanted to tell you so. Allow yourself to grieve.. but try not to blame yourself. For me, forgivng myself was the first step in healing.. and I had a hard time doing that.. but once I started to do that, that also helped me be a better mommy to my DS..

Chantal
#115 of 116 Old 11-23-2004, 04:49 PM

Hi all. I'm just now getting around to reading this. I had my 2nd c/s 4 1/2 months ago. The first was unplanned and unwanted and I'm still not sure if it was really needed. The second was a planned vbac, but dd was transverse up till the end, so I agreed to the c/s. Anyway I'm wondering if it is normal to still be sore 4 1/2 months pp. My incision site feels fine but my belly above that and below my belly button is still numb and sore, at the same time if that's possible. And there are a couple spots near my belly button that have been sore since the c/s. I can't really tell if it's my skin or below my skin that hurts. It's not too painful and doesn't really stop me from doing anything, but it's bugging me. I don't remember being sore for this long after my first. I asked my dr about it when I went in for my pp checkup at 8 weeks pp, and he had no idea. I've been working out, which doesnt' seem to be doing any good, and doing pilates and I wonder if maybe I should stop with the stomach exersices. And I don't understand why I'm sore up near my belly button.
#116 of 116 Old 11-30-2004, 11:36 AM

Hi
Sorry.. I don't know about your lingering pain. I don't recall that from cs #1 and its been only 6 weeks since cs #2. The numbness I remember, that took years to go away

Chantal

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page