Now I'm curious. Did you eat your placenta? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: I'm curious now, did you eat your placenta?
Yes 9 6.43%
No 131 93.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 10-16-2004, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I vote 'no' but I am open to it.
#32 of 55 Old 10-16-2004, 08:25 AM

Mine is still in the freezer. (I know, I know, bad bad bad)
And since it is 2 1/2 years old now, I don't think I'll be thawing and munching.
I wish I had known then what I know now, though.. I would have eaten it and maybe spared myself my ppd.
#33 of 55 Old 10-16-2004, 10:36 AM

I touched mine and looked at it. How cool!
But, no...Eating it didn't sound good. I'm not sure if its because my husband would never have kissed me again, or because I didn't quite realize all the benefits.
It got donated to train search & rescue dogs, which I felt great about. I was going to bury it if my MW didn't have a place for it...but, she did
#34 of 55 Old 10-17-2004, 04:25 PM

hey, does anyone have a link to a site with instructions on drying and making it into capsules? i suffer from some serious hormonal depression from time to time as it is, and i wanna do whatever i can to avoid a bad bout of ppd.

aja

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#35 of 55 Old 10-17-2004, 06:05 PM

Aja,

I couldnt find the link that I had saved (although I bet if you look on the thread called Eating your placenta? in Im Pregnant you will find plenty) but these are the instructions that I had copied down when I was still pregnant. Maybe this will help you some.

Instructions on drying/encapsulating:

It takes about 12-16 hours to prepare the placenta. Cut the meat away from the membranes with a sharp knife. Discard the membranes and cord. To cook, wash excess blood from the placenta. Place it in a steamer over water. Steam
for 15 minutes, turn, and steam 15 more minutes until no juice comes out when pricked with a fork. (Steam over low heat, it has a tendency to boil over and that's a mess.) After steaming, slice the placenta in 1/8" strips, similar to making jerky. Slice as thin as possible. Place the strips on a cookie sheet and put it in an oven on the lowest possible setting for several hours until completely brittle-dry. Using a food dehydrator is even better, but will take longer. Powder the strips in a coffee grinder, or blender and encapsulate.

After the placenta is prepared it is taken, 2
capsules at a time, three times a day for two weeks postpartum or until no longer needed. Any remaining placenta can be saved and used homeopathically for those times when the child undergoes a separation from the mother. It can be kept indefinately, but for long term storage, freezing is recommended.
#36 of 55 Old 10-17-2004, 06:33 PM

Not yet, but I plan to whenever this baby is born!

I am planning to do kinda like Lynsey - cut into small pieces, freeze them, and then swallow them whole like pills. That way I don't have to taste it or feel the squishy texture in my mouth.
#37 of 55 Old 10-17-2004, 08:12 PM

No. That would be like being on my ownpersonal Fear Factor. Not something that I feel I need to do to be a complete person.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#38 of 55 Old 10-17-2004, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Not something that I feel I need to do to be a complete person.
Just wanted to add that I'm not doing it for the fun of it. I had severe PPD after my daughter's birth and would eat just about anything to avoid that again. I barely remember months and months of her first year of life. It was awful.
#39 of 55 Old 10-17-2004, 10:26 PM

i wanted to, and it's still in the freezer at 15 weeks post partum...but i was so busy and stressed w/new baby that it seemed like work. will bury it and plant a tree above.
#40 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa
No. That would be like being on my ownpersonal Fear Factor. Not something that I feel I need to do to be a complete person.
don't you think that's a bit harsh? Do you think we ate our placentas "to be complete" or to prove our crunchworthiness? :
I also had severe ppd after my first was born. My milk took six days to come in and I fought supply problems the first three months of DD1's life. I would do anything and everything in my power to not let that ever happen again. I ate my placenta after DD2 was born, and didn't suffer any of those problems.
#41 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 11:13 AM

No, but my friend and I have a question:

Why do so many of the recipes call for 3/4 of a placenta? What do you do with the rest of it?

Here's a link:
http://www.geocities.com/virtualbirth/placenta.html

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#42 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 12:09 PM

No, I wish I had frozen it in cubes and/or kept part of it to plant w/ a tree though. I'd heard of it just before dd was born, and we were too preoccupied with packing and moving that I didn't really have a chance to run it by dh (although I'm sure that would have taken quite a bit of persuasion).... then dd came three weeks early and everything that day was such a whirlwind that I didn't think to tell the midwife I wanted to keep it. I got to see and feel it and the cord though.... very cool. Will plan ahead better for next time to keep it.

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#43 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 12:14 PM

In fact, the more I think about it, the sadder I get for letting it get tossed out.

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#44 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 12:25 PM

I didn't..but kept it to plant after our birth. I am increasingly curious though about eating it (even if only a small peice or charred and put into capsules) especially for hemmorage and PPD. unfortunatley my DH is really grossed out about any and all placenta talk

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#45 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 12:34 PM

Mine are all buried under various trees, mango, breadfruit, coconut, one has a frangipani.
#46 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 01:54 PM

Stacy, that is encouraging to hear! I also had breastfeeding problems in addition to my PPD (my milk also came in on the 6th day after my surgical birth) and I am happy to hear you had none of these problems this time around!

Do you mind me asking how you ate yours?
#47 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 02:16 PM

No. I had never heard of such a thing and I was in a hospital anyway. I don't think I could handle it. My doc. did make a point of showing it to me.
#48 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 02:48 PM

I haven't eaten my placenta. (It's still working, though, so I won't vote.) When it comes, though, I will be dining on it. I haven't decided how, yet, but I actually like the taste of blood, (you know, like when you lick a cut on your hand or something) so I doubt the raw taste will bother me in the least.

All those health benefits combined with a hard-working body? You bet I'll eat it!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#49 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 04:11 PM

No, I didn't eat mine. I read all about it, the benefits and everything and saw lots of different recipes, but it just seemed so icky. I think it's totally cool, I've heard it can be a very powerful experience preparing it and all, and I'm kind of in awe of those who have, but it just had too much gross factor for me. Makes me a little queasy. Social programming I'm sure, but it's still there.
#50 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 04:58 PM

Katie - I ate it raw because I had read that cooking or drying it diminishes some of the beneficial properties. I had also heard that cooking or drying it really stinks, and I am super sensitive to bad smells. It wasn't so bad, really, or I'd have just eaten that one first bite my midwife cut off for me and buried the rest. I just cut it away from the cord and membranes and tore it into chunks I could swallow whole. Held each piece under my tongue as long as I could stand it, and swallowed em down. I'm a very picky eater, lots of food makes me ill just to think about eating it (undercooked meat, cabbage, yogurt, brussel sprouts, for example) but I had no problems eating raw placenta.
#51 of 55 Old 10-18-2004, 05:02 PM

I'll eat it when the baby's done with it. :LOL

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#52 of 55 Old 10-19-2004, 11:19 AM

I did not eat any of it, but I would if I thought I needed to.
My bleeding was controlled at my last birth, but if things get our of hand like they did once before, then I would swallow a piece of it like a friend did to help.
I think she said she just swallowed back a dime sized piece with water.
My placenta is in my freezer at the moment.
#53 of 55 Old 10-20-2004, 06:59 PM

[r
#54 of 55 Old 10-20-2004, 07:01 PM

Not I.

We donated ours to science. They use the stem cells! It was free for us, and we hope it can save someone later.

A lot of hospitals do that. I highly recommend it.
#55 of 55 Old 10-20-2004, 07:33 PM

No, I did not eat the placenta, but it's only a matter of time. The placenta has been in our freezer for 2.5 years and I figure some day we'll plant a tree on it or something. But in the meantime, about every other month DH rummages through the freezer looking for something to make for dinner and comes across the placenta and says:

"Oooh... what's this?"

(pause)

"ACK! It's the placenta!!! We really should LABEL this thing!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page