Julia Roberts planning home waterbirth! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I'm just really confused as to why it's necessary to trash her or turn her into a bad mother. It's hard enough adjusting to being a new mom *without* being under the intense scrutiny of the media and the public. Yes, it's part of being a celebrity, but come on, why don't we support her and look up to her as a mother who embodies so many AP/NFL ideals instead of trying to focus on the negatives?[/QUOTE]

LittleAugustBaby-- I totally agree. At least she is not completely ditching her kid like most celebrity moms do. I think Gwenyth, Cindy, Julia, and even Pam (who's also an avid spokesperson for PETA) should all be comended for the great job they are trying to do. And especially for not being shy about their aproach to parenting. I even know a girl who would not be breastfeeding if it wasn't for Cindy Crawford!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#32 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 03:43 AM

but back to Julia Roberts...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if she has a home birth. She also doesn't shave (well, I'm sure she does for movies, but not otherwise). There was a big hubbub a few years ago when she was waving at fans (in London?) and people saw her hairy pits. Oh, what an uproar.
#33 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 03:56 AM

Sorry, did not mean to offend any avid celeb fans....

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby
It's actually a very good possibility that most, if not all, of these interviews and appearances are contracted. She very likely*has* to do a certain amount of press for her film, which she made before her pregnancy.
you realize there are clauses, loopholes and such????? My mother is in a similar industry and things can change and mag articles are cancelled ALL the time....Believe it or not, contracts can be changed. She does not HAVE to do things. Sure a premiere here or there...

Quote:
You do realize that she can very easily take the baby with her to an interview, or even conduct interviews over the phone so that she doesn't even have to leave home. She can also bring the baby along to talk shows, photo shoots, etc.
Ummm, yes, did I say anything to contradict this. You apparently missed my point too. She said she would disappear, and it does not seem like she is........THAT IS ALL............I beginning to wish she would, I had no idea so many people were loving her so much. And got so defensive about her. WOW. Color me shocked.

Quote:
I've seen many more photos of Gwyneth holding Apple than I have of her using a stroller. She said on Oprah that she labored for some 70 hours and she really wanted to go all natural, but at 70 hours, they made her get an epidural. She's a huge advocate of breastfeeding, eating organic, and herbal medicine. She doesn't have a nanny, and she's obviously a very loving, caring mother.
Being that I am not a "celeb junkie," I cannot count the holding pics versus stroller pics...nor do I care. I am glad she does all the above, congrats to her...so do many other mothers. BUT THAT WAS NOT MY POINT!!!!!!!! I never said she was not a loving, caring mother (SHEESH, DOES EVERYTHING here need a disclaimer nowadays? everything has to be taken so personally? can nothing be snarky?????)

As for the nanny, the UK reports (and her baby just sits to the side while she spends hours interviewing and modeling for shoots??? and at premieres??? I do not know b/c I do not care) beg to differ but that is neither here nor there. B/C A nanny is not a bad thing if you need one.

[/QUOTE]I guess I'm just really confused as to why it's necessary to trash her or turn her into a bad mother. [/QUOTE]

I did not, missing my point again..........where did I or anyone say she is a bad mom??? I know nothing of her ACTUAL parenting skills.

Quote:
...why don't we support her and look up to her as a mother who embodies so many AP/NFL ideals instead of trying to focus on the negatives?
I guess I do not "look up" to celebs...I have real role models...I suppose part of me is turned off by celeb worship and the like--and that is a result of my feelings...And do you know her? How do you know she embodies all these ideals????? Just curious...

Not to be snarky, but seriously do not take it so personally. I just pointed out the obvious--it has been pointed out before in other threads, in the media. Don't shoot the messenger, sister!

BACK TO JULIA!!! Seriously! Intended home waterbirth!!!!!

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#34 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 03:59 AM

I remember that. She looked so pretty and some skeazy photographer got apit shot and put it on the cover of People or something. The headline was along the lines of "EWWWWWW!!!! Julia doesn't shave. How unlady like!!" (or might as well have been).

I think with the amount of money she makes, Julia deserves to have some hairy armpits if she feels like it. Give the woman a break... thats what we're supposed to look like!

On the original topic... i really hope Julia does have a home water birth. But with twins esp., I can totally respect if her plan doesn't work out. At least she is making the effort.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#35 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 04:07 AM

Last post b/c I think this should be about about JULIA ROBERTS and her intended home waterbirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelocks
At least she is not completely ditching her kid like most celebrity moms do.
So it is NOT ok to be snarky to new "AP" celeb mamas, but it is to judge ALL the rest of the celebs and say they ditch their kids???? WOW....contradiction in terms there, mama....

Since we know nothing about these people REALLY IRL (media distorts eh?), how can you make such a blanket statement? Maybe they are closet APers...

REALLY BACK TO JULIA. Since this *is* her thread.

I never watch TV, but I am interested in her appearance on Oprah and if she talks about her plans...Does anyone know if you can get transcripts??? It would be interesting to read!

Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#36 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meco
I swear I read WAY too much today when "researching," but it was a 9 lb, 11 oz...not quite 10 lbs.
I saw that too when I went and looked. I think the original reports had the baby at 10 lbs - maybe someone couldn't do that kilo to lbs conversion? Regardless, still an amazing feat in this day and age.

Editted to add: and I'm dubious about a homebirth with twins for Julia. Not that J.R. wouldn't be 'the homebirth type', but I think for any first-time mom it's a stretch to see that plan actually go through. I know it happens, but it is rare. Let's see if she makes it to term first, another rarity in the IVF/twins set.
#37 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 10:55 AM

We can't really tell who's "ditching" their kids and who's not can we? I mean, unless we call every working mom a ditcher. The thing about celebs is that their work is in front of the camera, so we see them on tv, mags, movies, etc. Other working mom's are invisible media-wise so we don't see them "ditching".

It's too hard (maybe impossible) to figure out what is media hype and the work of public relations people or what is the real deal (good parenting) based on what we see in the media. I guess the proof will be in the pudding---when the little star babies are all grown up.
#38 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 11:30 AM

I'm not necessarily a big fan of Gwyneth's and so I didn't read much about her while she was pg so I never heard anything about disappearing. I've only read a handful of things since her baby was born. In those they are always talking about both the baby and the movie she's promoting. I guess I don't see the harm in doing press that she agreed to previously. I don't look to celebs to help me make my parenting choices either but unfortunately some do. If she gets someone to consider a natural birth or bfing then great! Keep talking Julia, Gwyneth, Pamela!
#39 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 11:55 AM

WOW!! I am just wondering now if she really IS going to do it! I guess i will have to wait and hear!
#40 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 12:05 PM

One more thing about Gwenyth, I wonder if her statement about 'disappearing' meant not acting in so many movies. Up until now she has done several a year. Another thought was that she originally thought she would enjoy being cocooned at home with her baby but after she was born she realized that she was happier being out and about. Personally I like to stay in bed a few weeks after birth and have limited visitors, I totally stress out if there's too much going on. There are other women I know that just cannot do that. They feel very depressed staying at home after birth and feel much better running around visiting, doing errands, etc. starting a day or two after birth.

Regarding Julia, I hope however her birth happens it is beautiful and she loves it.
#41 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 12:32 PM

Hey, when is Julia Roberts due?
#42 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 12:58 PM

To the question of why would Gwyneth have an epi after that long:
I ended up in a situation like that. I had to have the epi because I was in active labor for over 30 hours and still not dilating. They reccommended the epi as a way to get me to "let go" and it worked in that sense because I dilated to 8 within a couple hours of getting it. Still had a c-section because baby wasn't positioned correctly. My babe was 10lbs 8oz. So, anyways, I just thought that maybe the same thing happened with her.
#43 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhagen
They reccommended the epi as a way to get me to "let go" and it worked in that sense because I dilated to 8 within a couple hours of getting it. Still had a c-section because baby wasn't positioned correctly.
I thought that epis slowed things down. What do I know about epidurals? (oh and congrats on that healthy baby )

My original comment about her having one was that she had a VAGINAL birth after all that labor, not a section(right?)...but I also thought an epidural slowed it down so that is why I asked what I did. I did not realize they were recommended to furthur you if not dilating.

But, BACK TO JULIA!

As mom2six mentioned, it would be a first for IVF/twins. I thought someone said Julia said she did not have IVF. I wonder if she did. Not that it matters. The fact that she gets to a mommy does

#44 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meco
I forgot to mention that she also blasted working women to the press...and she is not working???? Because correct me if I am wrong, but press is working.

There are a ton of links about the story b/c people were quite incensed over her insensitive comments..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1773

I cannot find anymore b/c my freaking computer is loading so slow! And the time just is not worth it...
I read the article and that is sooooo easy to say when you are making that kind of money. :yawning:
#45 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 05:04 PM

it would be wondeful if hb became *trendy*----bringing birth back where it belongs anyway, if i were a celebrity (other than to my dc)---hb makes so much more sense, esp for privacy reasons. it's not like every laboring woman isn't a watched pot in the hospital, imagine being julia roberts.

i remember reading cindy crawford saying after her hb, she knew she really could do anything in the world b/c she'd given birth @ home. i think that empowerment really shines through to all aspects of life, and how great it is to have a platform upon which to share it w/others. i also read a few months ago in the newspaper about erikah badu (sp?) giving birth at home in dallas with friends and family present...and i thought....yes! normalizing birth!

so, i hope that JR's births go wonderfully, for many reasons

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#46 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 05:11 PM

I read most of the posts but just wanted to add that I thought twin delivery by a midwife at home was illegal in most states. I live about 15 minutes from her main home in NM and know it isn't allowed here.

What is the current deal with homebirthing twins?
#47 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 07:12 PM

I wonder if any of them post here. Wouldn't that be fun?!

hang.gif  

#48 of 52 Old 10-16-2004, 03:20 AM

Quote:
What is the current deal with homebirthing twins?
Yeah it just totally depends on the state. In OR it's legal! Yay!
#49 of 52 Old 10-16-2004, 06:10 AM

How exciting if it is true about Julia! Although if I had freaks following me around all the time, I would probably try to throw them off too.

Quote:
but I also thought an epidural slowed it down so that is why I asked what I did. I did not realize they were recommended to furthur you if not dilating.
This happened to me too. I was stuck at 4 cm.....had been in labor, crying and panicking for 18 hours......then I caved and accepted an epidural. Within an hour I was 10 cm. I dont think it was the epidural that that made me dilate, but I do think that because I stopped panicking, that I was able to dilate. Next time I will have the support I need and NOT be induced and stuck in a bed at a hospital with a posterior baby. UGH. Anyhoo, she made it much longer than I did (Gwenyth).

Desiree

#50 of 52 Old 10-17-2004, 03:17 PM

truebluexf wrote: "I know people who have been in labor for days, and whether or not the medical model considers one "in labor" until 4cm dilation has no bearing on whether or not one is in intense pain prior to reaching that dilation, ykwim???"

Yeah, one of my pet peeves is when someone says they had a long labor, and the labor police are going, "yeah, but was that all *active* labor?" I'm sorry, but I forget where it was that "labor" was objectively defined as not starting until 4 cm. dilation?
#51 of 52 Old 10-17-2004, 05:59 PM

I was in the grocery store today and noticed that Julia Roberts is on the cover of the taboid The Globe along with a headline saying she is planning a home waterbirth. The article said her doctors are watching her closely and will have the final say as to whether or not she goes through with it. So of course we know she'll do it because what doctor is opposed to a home waterbirth of twins?! We'll see. It would be great if she went through with it, not only because of the impact the birth would have on her and the babies, but because it certainly would bring attention to homebirth (and waterbirth as well). I believe she is due around the first of the year. Oh how I would love to get the new unassisted homebirth of twins DVD in her hands!
Laura
#52 of 52 Old 10-18-2004, 01:46 AM

laura, i saw the globe tonight at the grocery store, too. i was the one with the screaming little ones who didn't want mommy getting the latest celebrity birth scoop....i didn't get to read the whole thing...but i did read her drs. are watching and, of course, will have the final say. somehow, when you're pg, it doesn't matter how much money you make---you're still a patient and do as you're told??? her dh, danny, wants to do everything to be sure babies are safe----which is so ridiculous---as if julia doesn't...anyway, it did say she was planning a hb and to have her babies "under water." the opening paragraph was great b/c it stated all the extremely positive effects of water, and went on to say JR didn't want an epidural.

it would be great for hb and waterbirth to continue to get the great press! so, if the globe is as trustworthy as i hope it is .........

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page