Julia Roberts planning home waterbirth! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
saw this on the local news! yay for her!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 03:18 PM

Really? If that's true WOW! How exciting. Especially with twins. I'm thinking though that she couldn't find anyone to deliver her then since they love to put midwives in jail for stuff like that.

I thought my last pregnancy might be twins but I would've had to keep it a secret so my midwife wouldn't have to go to jail. We would have pretended it was "surprise" twins.

Remember though that supposedly Gwenyth (sp?) was going to have a home water birth too? Didn't happen.
#3 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 03:32 PM

I thought for a minute you were talking about averymybaby!

That is awesome. We should send her some CDs too. That is VERY exciting!!! I hope she nurses them both too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural
Remember though that supposedly Gwenyth (sp?) was going to have a home water birth too? Didn't happen.
And she was going to be a SAHM and take time off her career too. I guess some people are motivated by different things...

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#4 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 05:02 PM

I'm skeptical that this is true. It doesn't seem very likely with twins. Not that I don't think it's possible or that it's the best thing, I just don't think it's likely in this situation

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
#5 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 05:12 PM

the mongolian horses was pretty cool maybe she picked up some stuff there and wants to carry it over ??/
I think if true tis waay cool
#6 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 05:23 PM

I wonder if she means it or if it's just a paparazzi diversion like it seemed with Gwyneth who said the same thing. Cool if she goes for it though!!
#7 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 05:53 PM

If this article can be believed, then it seems that Ms. Roberts is seeking experience from my very favorite celeb. Mama!!!!! Go Julia (kudos to here from getting advice frommmmmm (can anyone guess???)

Birth and Parenting advice
#8 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

I don't normally follow celeb news but wether true or not it was great to hear about water/homebirth in the news!

#9 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 06:45 PM

OH....you go Julia.

I had a twin homebirth. We were gonna do a waterbirth too but my landlord was tweakin' and I decided not to invite trouble by having a tub brought in. SO instead I soaked in my tub until I was ready to push, went and squatted by the couch and had me some big ol breech twins. If I can do it, Julia can to.

But I really hope she does it in water b/c that would be cool and easier on the body IMHO.
#10 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 06:46 PM

Oh and if she needs a midwife....I know an AWESOME one.
#11 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 06:53 PM

Yeah, she's probably going to film it and sell it to the tabloids. :LOL (OK, sorry, just me being cynical.)
#12 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 07:14 PM

Hey, I would consider that educational!!!
#13 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 08:00 PM

I don't think Gwynneth has gone back to work...a little promoting for things but she is not making any movies or anything. She doesn't want to be a 15 minutes at a time momma at the moment...anyone see her on Oprah? She labored drug-free for about 60 hours before finally getting an epidural...nothing to balk at in my opinion!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#14 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf
I don't think Gwynneth has gone back to work...a little promoting for things but she is not making any movies or anything. She doesn't want to be a 15 minutes at a time momma at the moment...anyone see her on Oprah? She labored drug-free for about 60 hours before finally getting an epidural...nothing to balk at in my opinion!!

Not to steal Julia's thunder...

But I was going to link a thread about all the things she has done since her "stay-at-home-mom" status "began." (but I cannot find the snarky celeb thread) Including a number of premieres, red carpet events, dinners, magazine covers, talk shows, awards, etc. The list is quite long. She has not quite disappeared like she promised. In fact she is more evident now than ever before IMO.

Does not seem very stay at home to me? There is a WHOLE lot more to celebrity than making movies.

Not to say she is a bad mother, but a long the lines of "I am going to have a home waterbirth" and not following through to claiming to disappear and not following through...But there was some funny commentary on how she carries her baby like a bag of apples :LOL

But didn't several people conradict her 60 hour labor and say it was not how it happened and she was probably not laboring that long???? That she was confusing early signs with actual labor? And why take an epidutral after all that???? Did she have a c-section?

Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#15 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 08:37 PM

I didn't realize Gwyneth actually had had drugs. I read an interview and thought she had gone through a 70 hour labor culminating in a homebirth? Hmm well at least it's good that she's not going around talking about how it's too hard to go without drugs like so many I know. She is talking about BFing a lot and takes her baby everywhere with her to promote the movies she filmed long before she gave birth. She hasn't taken on any new projects. Considering what's out there I consider her to be a good advocate for AP. Good luck to Julia!
#16 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 08:40 PM

Meco she has been out and about that's true but as far as I've ever read she brings the baby with her. : I can see your point about the 60 hour labor. I've known some people whose labor seemed to get longer and longer as time passes since their "failed" natural birth. A lot of people do count the second their first contraction hits or when their water broke even though their labor didn't start until 10 hours later. With my second my doc told me I was in active labor at noon on Friday and I didn't give birth until Sunday morning but in my opinion I wasn't in active labor until mid-afternoon on Saturday since that's when the contractions started to be more intense and required my full attention. I know many would have my experience and claim to have a labor that lasted 42 hours.
#17 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm wonder what would happen if homebirth became trendy?

#18 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 08:46 PM

You know it actually has among celebs sort of quietly. Pamela Anderson believe it or not had both of her kids at home, so did Cindy Crawford and a good number of other celebs that I can't recall quite at this moment. I wish they'd be louder about it.
#19 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 08:57 PM

Julia Roberts will be on Oprah soon, I just heard (Nov. 4?). So maybe she will talk about her plans then.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#20 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
You know it actually has among celebs sort of quietly. Pamela Anderson believe it or not had both of her kids at home, so did Cindy Crawford and a good number of other celebs that I can't recall quite at this moment. I wish they'd be louder about it.

See my link above!
#21 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
Meco she has been out and about that's true but as far as I've ever read she brings the baby with her. :
Yes, that's great, but you missed my point. My point was that she claimed many times throughout her pregnancy that she was going to disappear from the scene (if I am not mistaken--like her mother did? I could be wrong here.) and be a mother. She did not say anything about attending 1,000 movie premieres, gracing many magazine covers, attending other events, etc. She said disappear.

And you call that out and about, I call that still on the scene--whatever we call it, still not disappearing from the scene to focus on motherhood. All I did was point out the fact that she says one thing and does another.

And she did an interview for ABC In which she claimed her labor was 70 hours.....

To O. 60 hours....mmmm, I cannot find evidence either way...

#22 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 09:40 PM

I forgot to mention that she also blasted working women to the press...and she is not working???? Because correct me if I am wrong, but press is working.

There are a ton of links about the story b/c people were quite incensed over her insensitive comments..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1773

I cannot find anymore b/c my freaking computer is loading so slow! And the time just is not worth it...

#23 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 10:50 PM

Considering her current movie was made a very long time ago, it is quite possible some of her engagements are a result of previous contract...Apple was not exactly a planned pregnancy. And so what if she changed her mind on homebirth? Without DH's support, I about changed my mind about a drug-free birth the first time around! In the moment it can be hard, and if the people around you don't support your choice 100%, they can falter in the heat of the moment. Her story was she labored for about 60 hours before finally giving in to epidural...Apple was born about 8 hours later I think. She said she had planned a totally natural birth and never intended to have any drugs but in the end it was what was needed for her. I know people who have been in labor for days, and whether or not the medical model considers one "in labor" until 4cm dilation has no bearing on whether or not one is in intense pain prior to reaching that dilation, ykwim???

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#24 of 52 Old 10-14-2004, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf
Considering her current movie was made a very long time ago, it is quite possible some of her engagements are a result of previous contract...
Sooo...her 20 articles about her motherhood were a result of previous contract before pregnancy? Wow, she must really be in tune with her future.
Her non-movie related appearances are contracted? Probably not. She has not just done movie related stuff.

But I am not sure I really care.

Missing *MY* point again (and the homebirth switcheroo was not my point at all b/c I have no issue with that)---ALL I was pointing out was that she said she would disappear and mother...and she has not...That is all. The point has been made many times. She ridiculed working mothers....Just seems a bit righteous to me, that's all.

Not my mothering role model that is for sure.

Oh, and I meant to add--BACK to Julia Roberts!!! I hope she does have the birth she wants. That would rock if she did.

#25 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerridwenLorelei
"I am not fond of her..."
LOL! Nor am I. If true I think it unwise of her to make it public--I mean she wasn't even letting her belly be photographed until recently. If not true, it's a great way to throw off the press. I like the way Cindy Crawford did things---sort of quietly made her choices and then talked about it afterward. Maybe we can start a Julia pool....there's so many variables we could bet on....date, home or hosp., epi. or nat., c-sec. or vag., too bad we can't find out if she's gonna circ. or not...
#26 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 01:27 AM

Erika Badu (spelling??!) had a homebirth (I haven't had any homebirth's, I just saw Julia Robert's name and clicked on the thread,lol, love her movies..)

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#27 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 02:03 AM

I wonder exactly what "homebirth" means in these situations, though, as these women can certainly afford to have all the "comforts" of the hospital brought into their homes. That's what I would be interested. And I am willing to bet they are mostly attended by doctors.

What do you think?
#28 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 03:21 AM

I believe she was talked into an induction b/c of baby's size? Hence the nixed homebirth plan. And she had an epidural after many hours of labor (according to the interview I read), but still managed to have a vaginal birth of her over 10 lbs. baby. That in itself is amazing.
#29 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Sooo...her 20 articles about her motherhood were a result of previous contract before pregnancy? Wow, she must really be in tune with her future.
Her non-movie related appearances are contracted? Probably not. She has not just done movie related stuff.
It's actually a very good possibility that most, if not all, of these interviews and appearances are contracted. She very likely*has* to do a certain amount of press for her film, which she made before her pregnancy. You do realize that she can very easily take the baby with her to an interview, or even conduct interviews over the phone so that she doesn't even have to leave home. She can also bring the baby along to talk shows, photo shoots, etc. There's also a good possibility that cover photos for magazines were taken a long time ago. When she was on Oprah, they chatted about how you can end up on the cover of a magazine without ever even doing a photo shoot for them. As far as non-movie related experiences, I'm a pretty avid celeb junkie, and I've seen Gwyneth appear at all of two non-movie events since Apple was born. One was for a special award for her late father, and the other was in honor of her godfather, Steven Spielberg (and she brought Apple along for that one).

I've seen many more photos of Gwyneth holding Apple than I have of her using a stroller. She said on Oprah that she labored for some 70 hours and she really wanted to go all natural, but at 70 hours, they made her get an epidural. She's a huge advocate of breastfeeding, eating organic, and herbal medicine. She doesn't have a nanny, and she's obviously a very loving, caring mother.

I guess I'm just really confused as to why it's necessary to trash her or turn her into a bad mother. It's hard enough adjusting to being a new mom *without* being under the intense scrutiny of the media and the public. Yes, it's part of being a celebrity, but come on, why don't we support her and look up to her as a mother who embodies so many AP/NFL ideals instead of trying to focus on the negatives?
#30 of 52 Old 10-15-2004, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six
....but still managed to have a vaginal birth of her over 10 lbs. baby. That in itself is amazing.
I swear I read WAY too much today when "researching," but it was a 9 lb, 11 oz...not quite 10 lbs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page