Early release? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-23-2004, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What can yuo all tell me about early release from the hospital?? How early can baby and I get the heck outta there if its uncomplicated?? DS and I were in there two nights and I was bored out of my mind most of the time because they kept taking him 'for monitoring'. Id prefer to be home, Ill have a 15 mos old toddler at home. And while I would love to have my meals cooked and cleaned up after me I would rather have my UNCUT, unvaxed (temporarily) son home with me so I know there is nothing going on that I dont want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-23-2004, 10:44 PM

The main thing is to talk to your ped and your OB beforehand. Since they sign off on your release and the baby's, they are the ones to ask. Avoiding all testing is helpful. If you allow a heal stick for bilirubin or blood glucose, they will expect you to stay if they perceive any problems.

My OB signed me out much earlier than she does most of her c/sec patients because she knew that I had planned for it to be a homebirth and wanted to be anywhere but the hospital. Unfortunately, our ped was out of town, and we had to wait for another doc from his practice to come AFTER he had seen patients all day. There was a 12-hour gap from my release to DS's. Mind-numbing.
#3 of 8 Old 10-23-2004, 11:52 PM

With my midwife and hospital, we can check out 6 hours after birth. I'll have a toddler at home, too, so I want to get home quickly.

Truvie
#4 of 8 Old 10-23-2004, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a big thread on this topic for you.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...early+hospital
#5 of 8 Old 10-24-2004, 01:58 AM

With my daughter, we stayed for about 26 hours and with my son, about 20. My dd was longer because of the time she was born.

It's so much easier when you don't have to deal with circ'ing, vaccinations and other "neccessary" stuff.
#6 of 8 Old 10-25-2004, 03:01 AM

I already asked. I was told I could leave when ever I want but the baby has to stay 24 hours. When I said I would leave without the baby, I got "I know " Smart ass. I could check myself out AMA but I'm not sure I want to tick off the ped I'm going to be seeing (our two older kids see him now so I don't want to change).

Once the baby is here and healthy I may give it another go. What in the world would I do in that little box of a room for 24 hours?
#7 of 8 Old 10-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Ame

if you pitch a big enough fit the hospital will give you release forms to sign....ask me how I know LOL

As long as the infant does not have any special medical needs and the mother has peed - it's been my experience they will let you go. Now that is with numerous lectures - tisk tisks - eye rolls- and whispers BUT eventually they will give you a release of liability stating that you know the risks and you won't hold them liable.

I checked out after 14 hours with my first and after 6 hours with my second....primarily because they kept taking my baby and having LONG shift changes where they could not release the baby to me or DH ...leaving us without baby for long periods of time and us looking at her/him through a glass wall crying ina plastic box : Needless to say my third was born at home and I plan on this next one to be born at home in just a few weeks.
#8 of 8 Old 10-25-2004, 05:26 PM

We called around in advance until we found a pediatrician who agreed to release my baby immediately if all looked well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page