Anyone tried a natural method of induction? What works? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 11-11-2004, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with Wasabi about the castor oil.

And, the blue cohosh = heart issues was ONE incident, not a study at all. It's been used for a long time without adverse affects. I don't think that one incident is enough to prove the cause and effect that the hysteria claims.

Ultimately, induction just because you want to stay on a provider's schedule is, in my opinion, NOT a good reason to induce. Your body is not a microwave - it is not as linear as the calendar. You have to find a provider that will support you and honor your body's own rhythms.
#32 of 50 Old 11-11-2004, 07:11 PM

sex, pizza and beer...sounds like what lead to conception

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#33 of 50 Old 11-11-2004, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2
She also said that she never recommends castor oil and every birth she has attended where the mom used castor oil the baby passes a lot of mec. But like Wasabi said, is it the chicken or the egg??
See I think is part of the reason why we don't have stuides on this. Is it really every castor oil birth she's attended had meconium or is it every one that she was aware was a castor oil birth (or even just the majority). I don't think anyone asked me if I had taken castor oil or anything like that. I may have told them but really by the time I got to the hospital labor was so advanced I really wasn't in the mood for talking so I probably didn't offer anything they didn't ask. So I wouldn't be counted as a castor oil birth that had no meconium KWIM? Unless health care professionals start routinely asking what natural induction methods you used there won't be any way to really establish whether or not there are risks. Of course women have used these methods in some cases for thousands of years and that makes me feel a bit more comfortable. Pit on the other hand we know has all kinds of side effects on the baby and yet hospitals use it all the time. :
#34 of 50 Old 11-12-2004, 12:56 AM

Hello! First of all, the newly revised, as of early 90's, studies state that the actual "average" length of pregnancy is 41 ann 1/7 weeks, which yes, according to your dr. is overdue....which is a silly concept anyways. Babies will come when they're ready. BUT, if you're getting pressure about it, you should seek another caregiver first. Then, towards the end of your d-day, if you've made zero progress, you could try a capsule of evening primrose oil inserted into your vagina, broken and squeezed up in there.....I induced myself at 40 weeks with 2 oz. castor oil, taken after breakfast, had my baby the next afternoon. It gives you the runs, which stimulates prostaglandins, that help open up the cervix, which then produces contractions. I had a VBAC, and was under some pressure, so that's why I did it, although I wouldn't reccomend it for a normal pregnancy. I did the cohoshes, it stimulated a few irregular contractions, but nothing serious. Semen has a very high amount of prostaglandins as well, so lot's of sex is a safe bet!!!!! Good luck, and don't stress about the timing!
#35 of 50 Old 11-12-2004, 12:36 PM

I asked my midwife yesterday about castor oil and it's connection with meconium and she said that in her experience castor oil did not seem to cause most babies to pass mec. She advises patitents to use it if they are at the point where they might be facing a pit induction since in her opinion it's better to try natural methods of induction first.
#36 of 50 Old 11-12-2004, 01:05 PM

That's so true Curry. We're so accustomed to saying we're overdue if we go past 40 weeks when really we're not overdue until 42 weeks. I always say all three of mine were on time even though two were born just barely past their EDD and if someone asks when I'm due I just say April and leave it at that.
#37 of 50 Old 11-12-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia
sex, pizza and beer...sounds like what lead to conception
Funny! My doc told me, "that which got you into this can get you out: have tons of sex."

With my first I went past 42 weeks and was then induced with cytotec. Ended up with a c-section mostly due to size and malposition (he was firmly wedged in the pelvis in a transverse position).

With my second I hoped to labor on my own and ahead of time so as to at least (hopefully) ensure a smaller baby. I used RRL tea, EPO (orally and internally) acupuncture, and sex. I vbac'd at 2 days shy of 40 weeks.

Of course there is no way of knowing for sure if any of those things made any difference but I'd sure do them all again to try to labor spontaneously and close to 40 weeks. With the acupuncture I felt a noticeable difference in my B-H contractions during and after the treatment so at a minimum I feel like it probably helped me along even if nothing else did.
#38 of 50 Old 11-12-2004, 06:50 PM

OK I have to ask, how in the heck can you have sex at 41 weeks? I thought of trying this with dd 1 but my dh didn't think it would be anatomically possible!
#39 of 50 Old 11-12-2004, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
OK I have to ask, how in the heck can you have sex at 41 weeks? I thought of trying this with dd 1 but my dh didn't think it would be anatomically possible!
Easy - mom on top! Or dad kneeling while mom lies or sits on the edge of the bed.

I tried LOTS of methods to induce with my 1st. My midwives stripped my membranes, I did cohoshes, castor oil, sex, tons of walking and squatting.... nothing worked. I gave up, agreed to be induced in the hospital, and went into labor the night before my induction appointment! DS was born 1/2 hour before I was scheduled to start pitocin - exactly 3 weeks after his EDD.

My 2nd was born 10 days after his EDD. DH and I had sex in the morning (for the first time in weeks) and I started contracting within minutes of his climax. I'm sure it wasn't a coincedence, but I'm also sure it wouldn't have helped if I wasn't ready to go into labor anyway.

My method this time, since I'm sure to go past dates again? I lied about my LMP. My official EDD is 5 days past what it would really be if I told the truth about my dates.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#40 of 50 Old 11-13-2004, 11:46 AM

to avoid possible induction due to pih this last time, i used natural prostoglandin (sex) starting week 38 (every day). i drank 2 cups of red raspberry leaf tea every day. then, when my blood pressure went up even more, i tried nipple stimulation. one nipple, twiddling it for 5 minutes out of every hour, for just 3 hours one evening. that night my braxton-hicks changed in intensity, frequency and pressure. about 12 hours after last nipple stimulation, i was in active labor. i had katya at 5 pm the next day . i truly believe it worked!

i'm not sure it would have done anything if my body weren't ripe.
#41 of 50 Old 11-13-2004, 03:23 PM

let's not forget that female orgasm aside, the ingestion *achem* of prostaglandins has been shown to be more effective than topical application.

ok.

hee!
#42 of 50 Old 11-14-2004, 09:11 AM

Since you are only 25 weeks, something that I tried this last time was 5W. It's a combination of herbs that you take the last 5 weeks of your pregnancy. With my first I was a week past due and induced and I really didn't want to be induced again. This time baby was born 4 days early and I had a wonderfully easy labor and delivery. I'm not sure if it was the 5W or my just my body being more ready since it was the second time around that caused baby to be born early, but it's worth a try anyway.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#43 of 50 Old 11-16-2004, 12:41 PM

Blue and Black cohosh worked for us at 42+ weeks-
#44 of 50 Old 11-17-2004, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
RRL does help tone the uterus. It won't hurt but it might help later down the road.

What type of red raspberry leaf tea can you use? Is it store bought? I notice they have it in the store but it just says raspberry tea and such. Is that the same thing or is it a health food item?
Thanks for all the wonderful replies!
#45 of 50 Old 11-17-2004, 06:38 PM

I started using EPO both ways the day before my due date. I didn't know to break the caplets before inserting them, though. I didn't go into labor until I was five days past due and had a 56 hour labor with really high blood pressure and had to be induced at a hospital instead of having the water birth I wanted at a birthing center.
I am going to let nature take it's course this time because I have no way of knowing whether I forced contractions upon myself when my body wasn't ready.
People complain about the intensity of being induced, but after being in labor as long as I was, I was ready for things to pick up, and I didn't really notice an immediate change in the pain of the contractions.
Oh, and can you believe my midwife told me to go home and have sex while in labor? That was the furthest thing on my mind, but someone mention sex at 41 weeks, and I didn't have a problem with it (while not in labor ), but I really didn't like anything but the spooning (side by side) position.
#46 of 50 Old 11-17-2004, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momamia
What type of red raspberry leaf tea can you use? Is it store bought? I notice they have it in the store but it just says raspberry tea and such. Is that the same thing or is it a health food item?
Thanks for all the wonderful replies!
I did get mine at a health food store but you can also get it online. Mine is prepackaged into bags but you can also buy it loose which might be cheaper. It is definitely on the same as raspberry tea. That tastes good this does not. :LOL
#47 of 50 Old 11-17-2004, 08:48 PM

My OB recommends "hair of the dog" aka lots and lots of sex

He (a father of 6) thinks that what got you into the the situation is the best to get you out. Provided both partners are willing. I told DH he owed it to me and he needed to just suck it up and do it - willing or not.

Makes me think of the Friends episode when it was time for Rachel to have her baby.
#48 of 50 Old 11-18-2004, 09:47 AM

I was following this thread a few days last week while waiting for my baby to arrive. I was a few days past my due date. A friend of mine booked a pedicure for me at a local salon. She had heard that there were some pressure points in your calf/foot that help to bring on contractions. Since I was already 3+ centimeters and completely effaced, I decided it was worth a try. The woman who did the pedicure knew what I was referring to and gave me a little extra massage. I went into labor that night. I'll never really know if that is what worked, but I did start having contractions- though irregular- that afternoon.
Good luck!!
#49 of 50 Old 11-18-2004, 05:19 PM

Re pressure points I had a prenatal massage when I was 36 weeks. Since I was full-term and had the go-ahead from my midwife I let them do the pressure points. I did have some contractions but didn't deliver for four more weeks. I think like all of these things nothing's going to work if the baby isn't ready.
#50 of 50 Old 12-28-2013, 12:03 PM

What does the vodka do?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page