Eye propholaxis-our story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-24-2004, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There has been alot of discussion about eye propholaxis here lately, and I really wanted to tell our story. Partly as a warning, and partly to vent my own anger and frustrations.
When we were expecting Ds, my husband and I decided to forgo the ointment. We talked to our family doc, our midwives, and even an OB in the same practice. We were told the same thing, that it really would not be a problem. I was going to have a hospital birth and they might call Social Services over it, but we would sign a waiver and that would be it. (In MI it is a law)
We were totally unprepared for what happened. Devon was born healthy and beautifull. It was a wonderfull birth, and I was blissed out and proud of sticking to my 'natural' birth plan(except for AROM). Then the bomb dropped, after giving birth only hours earlier, a lady(I use that term losely) came into our room and told my husband and I in no uncertain terms that if we continued to refuse the treatment she would be taking us to court. She would sight medical neglect and have the treatment court ordered. If we continued to refuse she could seek custody of our son!! I tried to explain our reasons including that I had been tested clean for STDs and sighted a study by the National Eye Institute that supported my stance. I even brought copies, but she didn't care. Because I had not sighted religious beliefs nothing I could say mattered. The fact was she WAS going to take us to court. I asked for some time for my husband I to talk about it, she would only consent to five minutes. As we sat there holding ou newborn son and crying we decided to give in. I knew rationally that I could have fought it and probably would have won, but I didn't feel strong enough to follow that path and I knew my husband would not support that decision. So we consented and the ointment was soon administered. The CPS lady said she would be visiting our home in 2 wks to 'follow up' even though we had givin in. She never left her card or even her name on my charts. I had to have her info tracked down through social services.
I feel as though what was a beautiful and sacred event is now marked in my memory with fear, anger, and resentment. The system that is supposed to keep children safe attacked me over eye ointment, not life saving surgery but ointment that is not medically indicated.
So thats our story, in hind sight I might have sighted religious reasons and left it there, but it does not matter now. Our midwife had never seen or heard of CPS getting involved before. Perhaps they decided to nail someones butt to the wall and we just happened to be the ones.
I am still processing my feelings and venting here to others who would understand has helped. Thank you for lending an ear
Sandy

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#2 of 24 Old 11-25-2004, 10:28 PM

I am so sorry that happened to you. I just wish CPS would go out and help the true neglect and abuse victims and leave stupid petty things like this alone! I have also decided in the last few days to forego the eye ointment based on many conversations here in the last little while. I hope you can heal from this.
Aprilynne

Mom of , , , and . Looooooove my SAHHubby and spend a lot of time here ---->
#3 of 24 Old 11-26-2004, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am SO sorry you had to deal with this! I agree with the PP -- doesn't CPS have something better to do that threaten parents who make informed decisions about their child's health? I'm constantly hearing stories about how overworked and backed up these people are (and I know their case loads are huge) -- why is they found time to come down and threaten you FOR SOME STINKIN' EYE OINTMENT?

Argh.
#4 of 24 Old 11-26-2004, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What hospital did you have your baby? I had Rainey at U of Mich and they did the same thing to me. I was in labor for 40+ hours and had no sleep for 3 days and then less than an hour after she was born they told me they could call a judge and take her into custody if we said no- I was so scared, our family was wrapped in FIA with our niece and I knew what the system was like- even after a paternity test proving my BIL as my nieces father they still did not give him custody until 10 days after the test came back- "for paper work time" and such. So I was so scared they would take my baby from me- I gave in as well, and my perfect DD got a clogged duct- now everyone says it is not from that, but funny how it happened right after and it lasted for 3 months. I was told I just had to sign a waiver too, but then they come in the room and bully you- tell you they are going to take your baby, I mean when did we stop having rights as parents to say no to anything? They didnt say anything when we said no to vit K shots, but the eye treatment- I say no too and then. they want to take my baby??

There has to be something that can be done, I mean we do have rights.

ETA: they wouldnt even leave the room for us to talk, they said it had to be done within an hour of her birth and we were at an hour.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#5 of 24 Old 11-26-2004, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Crayon, I gave birth at William Beuamont in Troy. I am sorry this happened to you too, but it helps to hear someone elses story. You are right something should change. I am thinking of writing a letter to my local legislators and telling them my story, the law is archiac. I will also write a letter to CPS and complain.

#6 of 24 Old 11-26-2004, 02:52 PM

I am so sorry that happened to both of you. I am disgusted with the way moms and their babies are treated in this country. Perhaps letters to the media are in order? (If you wanted to share something so personal of course).

I am really rather shocked about this, but not too shocked. Our babies seem to be their babies until we leave the hospital.

So sorry mammas
#7 of 24 Old 11-26-2004, 04:56 PM

Lilylove, perhaps we should contact the media, I live in the U.P. now but I would be willing to talk to anyone. It was the single most scary thing in my life- I dont think anyone knows that fear until the CPS worker tell you "We will take your child and you will have to go to court to get him/her back". And you have done nothing wrong. And to bully new mothers right after their baby is born in a hosital is so wrong. Hugs to you mama, I am sorry you had this happen, I am going to go over to the FYT board and see if other mamas had this happen to them as well.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#8 of 24 Old 11-26-2004, 07:23 PM

neither of my girls got the eye goop. Nobody seemed to think it was a big deal, either (first was born at a hospital, c/s, but they wanted to put the goop in her eyes anyway). I am so sorry the both of you have gone through such bad experiences, but I find it hard to believe that's the norm.
#9 of 24 Old 11-26-2004, 09:03 PM

It's appalling that with the sheer number of legitimate abuse and neglect cases in MI, they have the time and personel to harass families making an educated decision. However, we can call CPS weekly for close to a year about my cousin locking her son in the room so she and BF-of-the-day can have sex, give him the wrong medication or just leave him with random people for days and they do NOTHING. We finally gave up.
#10 of 24 Old 11-26-2004, 11:45 PM

I have a LLL co-Leader that is dealing with this right now. She is due in spring of 2005 with her dc and St Joe's AA has told her the same thing you have both stated. She keeps hitting the wall trying to figure out how to get around it.
#11 of 24 Old 11-27-2004, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Stephanie, The CPS lady mentioned something about if I had sighted religious beliefs it would have been different. She didn't say exactly how different, but maybe your friend could check into that.
BTW I took Devon to his first doc appt. and he said that the hospital had called him regarding this whole thing. He told them that the ointment was not necessary and that we had discussed it. But that apparently didn't make a difference.
Crayon, I am not sure how I feel about contacting the media, Dh just wants to drop it and leave it in the past, I am not sure right now where I want to go with this. I do want to let other local mothers know so they are not blind sided. Oh well it has only been just over a week since Devons birth. I am still pretty emotional.
Sandy

#12 of 24 Old 11-27-2004, 02:49 PM

Who is your Ped? When we lived in AA it Dr. Andy Siler at Libery Ped. He was great, but I hadnt talked to him prior to Raineys birth because I was under the understanding it was not an issue, I just had to sign a paper, and also I was planning a u/c homebirth, so I was not really worried about it.

I think if you get a doctors letter backing you up from a local ped then it should not be as bad. Trnsmom, maybe you should have your friend talk to her ped. Then talk to the head nurse at the hospital after she gets a note/letter from her doc.

I had Rainey in March of 2003, it makes me so sad to hear this is **** happening, It makes me just sick and sad to think of the mamas that have felt like us

#13 of 24 Old 11-28-2004, 05:30 PM

To threaten a new mother with the loss of her baby is PURE EVIL. My heart breaks for you.
#14 of 24 Old 11-28-2004, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ang, his name is Dr. Mathew Ewald and he is a family doc. They really didn't seem to care what he had to say, because he told them he suported my decision.
Thanks to all of you who have expressed your support. I am really gratefull that I have you all and your hugs
Sandy

#15 of 24 Old 12-01-2004, 11:49 AM

YOWZERS! Thank you for sharing your story. That is just unbelievable to me. I can't imagine being threatened like that ever, but especially not a few hours after your baby has been born and when you are in such a vulnerable state and don't have the energy to fight back. I also agree with the previous posters who asked "don't these people have anything better to do".

Sending HUGS your way!
#16 of 24 Old 12-01-2004, 11:54 AM

omg how traumatic for you! I am so sorry about this. thank you for posting.

we refused the eye ointment (and all other tests,etc including vit k) but a nurse who had just came on shift ended up at the birth and just automatically did it as they were weighing ds. she did it so fast DH didn't even know what she was doing as he was right there.

i don't get what the big frickin deal is by refusing if you don't have an STD. it's totally pointless :

I would be all over the amdin. at that hospital though. that is complete bs!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#17 of 24 Old 12-01-2004, 03:42 PM

How evil! I am so paranoid about this happening to me! I live in GA and will be giving birth at home or at a small hospital that is NCB friendly. I thought you just had to sign a waiver- I dont want the goop, the K shot, or the tests done. I just want them to leave us alone to bond and let me relish in MY creation!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#18 of 24 Old 12-02-2004, 11:06 AM

lilylove, I will have her look into the religious exemption.

So sorry you had to go through this.
#19 of 24 Old 12-03-2004, 07:46 PM

I'm expecting in feb/2005 and trying to learn about all the things the medical people are going to want to do to me and my son. can someone tell me what the eye goop is and why i might want to avoid putting it on him? is vit k test the heel thing? thanks.
#20 of 24 Old 12-03-2004, 08:55 PM

propholaxis I believe is the name. The reason they do this is it helps stop eye infections- the eye infections are from STDs. But the problem is this is given to babies that are not at high risk of infection because their mother doesnt have STDs or they are born via c/s birth. This is a wonderful drug if given at the right timeto the right babies, but it is not a drug that needs to be given to ALL BABIES. In my case I didnt have STDs so my DD was not in high risk danger for getting an infection. The problem was that we had no choice to say no when we were not at high risk and the threat of our childen going into CPS was very high. And like all drugs there are side effects, and I was so pissed that I was forced to have this done to my DD and then she had problems.

The drug is in the form of a cream, kinda looks like K-Y jelly- and is put in the babies eyes.

I would check with the hospital where you are going to have your baby and see what the regulations are.

So for the vit K- I would look into that it is to clot the blood, but breast milk has vit K and also you can take vit K before the baby is here to boost the vit k in his body. The fear is that a child will have trama and cause bleeding that could be life threating. But, the risk are very low. Are you going to circ your son? I would first say go to the circ board and learn about circing before you do it. But you have to remember that cricing is a surgery and blood is lost, the baby needs to have good blood clotting to lower risk- however circing comes with many risk, not only blood loss.

The heal test is the PKU- you should google newborn heal stick or PKU for your state, they all test for different. If you are going to BF, and for the sake of humanity I hope you are , then you should wait at least 72 hours before the test, because the results will not be accurate until you have nursed for 72 hours. Talk to your PED about all this, becaue most of this can be done at his office.

The hospital will try to do things to your baby in a rutine mannor, and most of it they will not say "is this okay?", you will have to go to your birth knowing what they will do, what you dont want done and make sure EVERYONE knows- and you will have to keep repeating it. The only way to really protect your child is to keep him in your arms and say "yes or no" to everything- I mean EVERYTHING they want to do- from a bath to giving him water- yes some hospital will try to give him water, and if he is BF you do not need to give him water.

So much to know! But you have come to a good place Lots of info. Keep asking! Feel free to PM me

#21 of 24 Old 12-04-2004, 02:43 PM

This is so scary to me. So what's stopping them from coming after you for not givng vitamin K, vaccines, giving birth at home, not having baby seen by a peditrician, or any of the other number of parenting decisions we all make?!?

I am so appalled.

BUT - don't let that stop you from cocooning with your sweet baby. Sleep, nurse, rest, eat, nurse, sleep...and let yourself put it on the back burner. When the time is right, you can do something about it. It IS crazy and I hope you do fight for the respect and decency that you and your baby so deserve.
#22 of 24 Old 12-04-2004, 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=crayon
So for the vit K- I would look into that it is to clot the blood, but breast milk has vit K and also you can take vit K before the baby is here to boost the vit k in his body.

This information is not quite accurate- breastmilk can deliver vitamin K to a baby but for the most part women have very low levels of vitamin K in their diets so don't pass enough vit k in breast milk to protect all babies.
Nearly all babies who have hemmoraghic disease of the newborn are breastfed who don't receive vitamin K orally or through a shot.
Supplementation during pregnancy doesn't help baby postpartum because the placenta doesn't pass vit K though much.

Here is a web address where you can find a provisional table of vitamin k content of some foods- a full table should be out in March next year- anyway the table is a PDF file that can be downloaded with a click it is under the vitamin K heading on this page, ( for people not planning on using vit K prophylaxis for their babies should be trying to eat several servings of vit k foods a day to ensure higher levels of vit K in their milk)

[url]http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/Classics/index.html[/url]
#23 of 24 Old 12-04-2004, 10:25 PM

here is a link on some cancer info related to vit K shot as well,

http://www.*********/a/vitk.html

#24 of 24 Old 12-04-2004, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon
here is a link on some cancer info related to vit K shot as well,
]
i am pretty sure this is why the body limits vit K to fetus in pregnancy because it could cause certain kinds of abnormal growth, but because breast milk will deliver high amounts if the mother is has it available I think that a baby's body does need it once it is born, just don't think a shot is the best way to go though because it is a very un-natural way to provide it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page