Mothering Forum banner

When a mama is pregnant, does she have the child's father's genes in her?

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  tinyshoes 
#1 ·
I'm sorry for such a terrible Title to this post!

When a mama is pregnant, she is carrying a child with the father's (for lack of a better word right now) genes in the child. The pregnant woman's bloodstream has genes in it from the fetus, yes? Those cross the placental barrier into the mama's bloodstream, I think?

So the woman is circulating her partner's genes via the fetus?

I read this recently and have absolutely no links to prove/disprove. But it is an amazing thought for me, to have some of my DH's genes in my blood when I'm pregnant with his child. I would think that would bond me, DH and the child from the start in a unique, outside the 'AP' world way.

#2 ·
I have heard something similar from a friend of mine, but I have no scientific proof for you... she even said that you can be an organ donor for your partner if you have had children together because your genes alter. I have never checked to find out if this is true, but it is a really interesting thought.

#5 ·
There is an archaic idea that women become part of every man they have ever had sexual relationships with. The theory is detailed in Gyn/ecology: The Metaethics Of Radical Feminism, by Mary Daly. My Father, a DC, often described this theory to me. The theory takes the view that woman are similar to a branch being grafted onto a tree (a man).

- YET -

It is however true that you do develop and carry the DNA of every person you have touched or kissed because your body does come into contact with bacteria of all kinds, and your body reacts with building antibodies all of the time.

When you are pregnant, the mother is carrying the genes -or- DNA of the father of the baby. However only half of the genes of the father since the sperm only contributes half of the new life and the mother contributes the other half through her ovum. The mother's immune system does protect her from any mixing of her blood with the baby's; nature protects the mother and the baby and the placenta has alot to do with this. Sometimes this will breakdown as in the case of a mother sensitized to her baby's Rh+ blood when the mother is Rh-.

Some infertility causes do come from a woman's immune system fighting off the husband's sperm as "invaders".

You are asking a very good question.

I hope you get more thoughtful responses.

#7 ·
I've read that fetal DNA (even ones that are miscarried or aborted) remain in the maternal bloodstream for the duration of the mother's life. I don't know the technical term for what the "trace particle" stuff is, nor can I remember where I read this, but I think it was some scientific article.

#9 ·
I am allergic to my dh's sperm, which is one reason why we think it took so long to become pg. I didn't develop it until about 2 years after we were married.

Darshani

#10 ·
I have read in certain places that the fetus actually makes stem cell deposits in the mother. So instead of just essentially "leeching", if you will, off of the maternal body-the fetus transports stem cells and the mothers dna is forever changed.I think if that is true, it says alot for ap parenting really- because you would think that maybe it is natures way of further connecting you to your unborn child.Perhaps making you more able to meet their needs or understand them,genetically speaking.
So basically, the article was saying that the mother was forever changed, and by each child.
I can't find the article, i don't recall exactly where I saw it.It was very intersting though.

#11 ·
Heard this on NPR the week of the lunar eclipse, so you could look for that info- they were saying could find genetic material in old women 80 that had y chromosome in women who had male children but not in women who had only girls. Considered to be a possible blessing- longevity and curse-autoimmune diseases like lupus and arthritis.

here is a web address of a JAMA abstract talking about fetal stem cells in maternal tissues
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/292/1/75

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.