Where to find horse trough for waterbirth in Portland, OR area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-07-2005, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a home waterbirth here in Portland, but I simply can't afford a birthing tub. My midwife suggested a horse trough, but I'm having a hard time finding one around here. Anyone go this route before? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-07-2005, 11:09 PM

Rubbermaid makes one. I only know because my church uses it for a portable baptismal. :LOL I can't for the life of me find anything about them online. I imagine though, that it would be about the same price to rent an "aqua doula" or similar birthing tub.

ETA: Peaceful beginnings
They have a pool for $65.00.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#3 of 15 Old 02-07-2005, 11:13 PM

umm... have you spoken with Barbara Harper of Waterbirth International www.waterbirth.org to see if she has any recommendations? They are down in Wilsonville.

And I imagine that a farm supply store would have them and there a few of them out here west of the city, but I don't know of any names of them.

I'll see if I can do some research for you with some midwives I know...

~claudia
#4 of 15 Old 02-07-2005, 11:45 PM

I'm looking for the Rubbermaid one myself. My midwife in Hawaii had that and I gave birth to my DD in it and loved it. We are living in Texas now and I just can't imagine I'd feel the same amount of comfort in a shallower tub. We are going to look at farm supply places around here. Good luck!!!

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#5 of 15 Old 02-08-2005, 12:02 AM

Cat... where in Tx? I'm in the DFW area frequently and have one you could use
this is the one we have
#6 of 15 Old 02-08-2005, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the great suggestions! I had thought about an inflatable tub much like the one at Peaceful Beginnings, but was concerned about how it would hold up to being leaned on for hours at a time. At my ds's birth, I didn't so much sit in the birth tub as I squatted in it, leaning heavily on the side of the tub. Does anyone have experience with the inflatable tubs?

I had checked out Barbara Harper's website, but didn't think to just call them up. I'll try that, and keep checking into livestock supply stores.

Thanks!
#7 of 15 Old 02-08-2005, 01:50 PM

Could you just fill a kiddie pool?
#8 of 15 Old 02-08-2005, 02:48 PM

If your concerned about being able to really lean into the sides, I've read good things here about the Sevylor brand of inflatable pools. Do a search under homebirth, you should find plenty of info.

ETA: Here is a link: http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/SEV/SEVSP60E.html

The bottom of the page also has links to bigger versions of the same pool.
#9 of 15 Old 02-08-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia
umm... have you spoken with Barbara Harper of Waterbirth International www.waterbirth.org to see if she has any recommendations? They are down in Wilsonville.

And I imagine that a farm supply store would have them and there a few of them out here west of the city, but I don't know of any names of them.

I'll see if I can do some research for you with some midwives I know...

~claudia

With my first we rented a tub from waterbirth international. (we lived in eugene) They ran out of the cheap rental (what we paid for. as i recall it was around $100.. and was heated.. very nice! They can ship these to you) and had us come pick up their super awesome portable hot tub instead. we had a hot tub in our living room for like a month!
It was wonderful! You really should check them out!
#10 of 15 Old 02-08-2005, 07:09 PM

I also used a rubbermaid horse trough for my waterbirth. I used to have horses (the horse trough I used wasn't one that was used for our horses, our midwife loaned it to us) and I am pretty sure I have seen them sold at tack and feed stores. At least larger more rural stores.
#11 of 15 Old 02-09-2005, 02:38 PM

I just got off the phone with my midwife friend here in Portland and she had to special order her rubbermaid 150-gallon tub from a industrial wholesaler. A couple of years ago, the cost was $139 total ($122 for the tub plus $17 for shipping). I just looked at Barbara Harper's website, and their cheapest rental tub is $250 plus approx. $50 shipping before and after the birth. After you buy all the extra supplies for using the rubbermaid trough (white sheet, plastic liner or painter's plastic, floating thermometer, salt, etc.), it's almost worth renting the tub that is actually designed and meant for birthing. Of course, if you have another subsequent use for the rubbermaid trough after your babe is born, it might be worth it to buy.

PM me if you want the wholesaler's info who can order you a rubbermaid trough.

warmly,
claudia
#12 of 15 Old 02-10-2005, 06:26 PM

We only use the inflatables from quality inflatables and love them. Haven't had any problems with them. I've seen lots of women lean against them, several people in them, etc. and they've worked out fine. I've also been to several births with the ones that can be rented through Waterbirth International and have had a lot of moms say that they hated them. They have liners in them (sometimes double lined) that wrinkle under the butt, the bottom is hard, and I've seen tons of moms with nasty, nasty bruises under their arms the day after the birth from hanging their arms over the side.
#13 of 15 Old 02-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Thmom - that is the exact model we used with dd. unfortunately we are in brenham, closer to houston than austin. i would jump at the chance to borrow your's but i think we are too far apart. i don't get to the dfw area ever really... thank you though!!!

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#14 of 15 Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 PM

I used this kiddy pool that I got from toys r us. It cost 35 dollars and was phenomenal. I loved the cusion in the floor and the walls were great.
http://www.birthwithlove.com/categor...arian+Birthing

You could lean on this tub for hours the walls are excellent just make sure you blow it up in advance so that you can ensure there are no leaks. I can't imagine leaning over the edge of something hard for hours on end. This was so padded and nice to recline against and to lean over. I think you will need a very good compressor to blow it up. We blew it up in advance and kept it in the garage. The little pump we had burned out filling it as this thing is about 6 feet in diameter. the floor is padded Which I think is an absolute must) and it kept the temperature fabulously. we just ran a line from our washer to fill the hotwater part of it . It filled quickly but was a bit of a pain to drain as it the plug is in the bottom. I think my friends just syphoned it with a fish pump and a hose. I can't remember the exact measurement but I remember it being plenty deep and I just really loved that tub.

I wish I still had mine and I would just send it your way.
#15 of 15 Old 03-10-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I was so happy to read your post, CJ5, because we decided to go with a little kiddie pool too. The horse troughs ended up being outside our budget, so the pool will hopefully suffice. We got the one someone recommended on Quality Inflatables' website, and I have my concerns as to whether it would support me leaning on it, but I guess I could just put a chair next to it with a pillow on it and lean on that if I need to. There's a part of me that digs giving birth in something with little fishies on it, I have to admit. :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page