Grade 2 premature aging of the placenta at 32w? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-12-2005, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister is 32w pregnant. She has lupus and hypothyroidism. She has not been having an easy pregnancy (or an easy time getting and staying pregnant). Anyway, she is considered high-risk and has had half a trillion u/s. At this point, they are telling her that her placenta is aging (calcification, I guess), and at 32 w, she is at a grade 2. She is a non-smoker, but she has been struggling w/her bp. It is now back at 120/60 after the cream of tartar protocol.

She'll be having another 100 or so u/s before the baby is born, so they will be right on top of this. But I can't find anything online about whether at this stage of the game, if grade 2 is really that bad, or something to keep an eye on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Amy
#2 of 12 Old 02-12-2005, 04:38 PM

Sorry, I don't know what "grade 2" is. But what is the cream of tartar protocol?
#3 of 12 Old 02-12-2005, 05:02 PM

I'm not entirely sure what exactly the standards are for grading a placenta (I only due routine ultrasounds myself) but placentas are graded 1-3 based on calcifications. In general, at term, most placentas show some signs of calcifications and would be a higher grade. It wouldn't be uncommon for a term placenta to be graded a 2, but at 32 weeks it is concerning. Earlier in the pregnancy, calcifications can be a sign of early placental insufficiency. It is more common in women with high BP, and also in diseases like lupus. Lupus is a particularly scary thing to be pregnant with, since the disease can cause abnormal blood clotting, including in the cord and placenta. Also, babies whose moms have lupus can be born with congenital heart block, a very serious cardiac condition. It is one of the few illnesses that necessitate very close observation and even early delivery to protect the baby.
#4 of 12 Old 02-13-2005, 01:53 AM

My placenta was a grade 2 at 33 weeks and no one is concerned. But I also don't have any other problems. I did some research on it too, and didn't have much luck.
Aprilynne

Mom of , , , and . Looooooove my SAHHubby and spend a lot of time here ---->
#5 of 12 Old 02-13-2005, 02:07 AM

Fill us in on the 'cream of tartar' protocol.
#6 of 12 Old 02-13-2005, 03:43 PM

I'm interested in the 'cream of tartar' protocol too!
#7 of 12 Old 02-14-2005, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are so funny : I can't find my Susun Weed book anywhere for some reason, and I specifically took it out yesterday so that when my hands were free I could type it up for you. Anyway, I will have to go by a post on MDC, since I can't find my book.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...t=cream+tartar

Post #7

hth
Amy
#8 of 12 Old 02-14-2005, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen
Lupus is a particularly scary thing to be pregnant with, since the disease can cause abnormal blood clotting, including in the cord and placenta. Also, babies whose moms have lupus can be born with congenital heart block, a very serious cardiac condition. It is one of the few illnesses that necessitate very close observation and even early delivery to protect the baby.
doctorjen,

How does this congenital heart block get diagnosed? Is this an u/s thing?

Thanks
Amy

P.S. They plan to circ for some reason Actually so that when he is a man he won't feel inadequate--double Are there any medical reasons why they shouldn't circ a baby who was pregnant to a mom w/these conditions?
#9 of 12 Old 02-16-2005, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the link about the cream of tartar... I've started it and at today's appointment my BP was lower than it's been at any others... thanks again!
#10 of 12 Old 02-17-2005, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit
Thanks for the link about the cream of tartar... I've started it and at today's appointment my BP was lower than it's been at any others... thanks again!
Oh that is so great Although, I do not deserve the credit, that would be Susun Weed But, wow, much congrats!!!

Amy
#11 of 12 Old 02-17-2005, 03:02 AM

True, but if it hadn't been for this thread I wouldn't have learned about it!
#12 of 12 Old 02-17-2005, 03:52 PM

Thanks for this thread! Good info. I have anticardiolipin antibodies and a somewhat high ANA titer. My OB tells me I'm at risk for early aging of the placenta. Last time, she said she did not want me to go beyond 39 weeks. I had lots of NSTs and biophysical profiles.

I don't have any advice for your friend. The continued u/s should help keep them all informed. Hopefully, she'll be able to go to term and birth naturally!

HUGS to her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page